CV joint boot | FerrariChat

CV joint boot

Discussion in '308/328' started by parkerfe, Oct 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The right side CV joint boot on my BB512i has torn again. Both sides were replaced as part of a major in Feb 2003, which was only about 5k miles ago . It doesn't appear to be hitting anything nor does it appear to have heat damage from the headers. What do you suppose is causing it to tear in such a short time?

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Easy! The car like so many others is giving you the Boot.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I wish. However, I will have to buy a new boot as no one will give me one. In any event, the CV boots on your Boxer should be safe as the wheels have to turn under engine power for them to tear; although they will deteriorate from age due to non-use too as in garage queens. LOL (;

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    That is strange. Assuming the car wasn't driven over sharp pointy objects or the like. The only thing I can think of is that when the new boot was installed it was slightly twisted. After driving the car and various heat cycles the twist caused the boot to tear.
    Depending on where the location of the tear is I have seen metal clamps on too tight causing the boot to rip by the clamp. Hope this helps some.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

totally agree, if the boots are twisted at all they will tear, and quickly. i used to put black tie wraps in between the pleats to keep the grease in and to keep them from tearing. this was on several modified Toyota Mr2's, which is a vaugely similar set up to the Bboxer. by this i mean its a rear wheel drive car with CV joints and boots at the rear wheels. the tie wraps on a BBoxer may not be tasteful or necessary.

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mr. Parker, you are the classic example of a pessimist,Is the glass half empty or half full?. To your amazement I am probably putting on more miles a year on my boxer than you..I live my life to the fullest as my odometer will now testify.As for your CV joint I would carefully inspect that you havent thrown a circlip, as I would hate to see your cv come apart at an inopportune time.
    For surely FNA would have a law suit on their hands.

7. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Where the axles removed for any reason? I once tore a CV boot, on my TR. I was removing the axle, and in trying to manuever it out, I was moving the axle beyond it's normal range of motion. The axle pinched the boot against the engine axle housing, and this resulted in small tear. Also, if the suspension allows too much travel, the axle can hang too low, when on a lift, thus also causing a pinching of the boot.