Who else thinks the 612 is ugly? | FerrariChat

Who else thinks the 612 is ugly?

Discussion in '612/599' started by LopeAlong, Oct 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have been agonizing over why I just think the 612 is butt ugly. Then it came to me - it looks like my buddy's Audi TT with a longer hood!!! And I hate the Audi TT! I have not been impressed with the recent designs out of Pininfarina. In fact, it took seeing one in person to convince me the Enzo looked good. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the old flowing lines. The squashed Bently/Viper/science fiction look does nothing for me. Is there hope for me?!?!?
    Jim

2. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Nope, sorry.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While I don't think its beautiful, its far from ugly. That being said, I do think the Maserati Quattroporte does look much better than the 612.

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    It could be worse , it could look like a 456 / Ford Contour

5. pipecrash

pipecrash Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    Los Altos, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter A.
    I was watching 5th gear one evening and it was interesting to note that they said Luca di Montezemolo was very impressed with the Bently Continental GT.

If I had the money I would not get the 612 or the Bently I really prefer the lines of the 550/575m lets hope the 600Imola doesnt have a huge smiley grille.

6. Tubi

Tubi Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Athens
    Full Name:
    Hari
    i have tried so hard to like it..looked at it at dif angles - seen one in real life....but lets be honest it looks crap.

456 looks soo much better! id rather save up and get a proper ferrari....360 CS...not this soft ass with a silly grin at the front.

7. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I don't like it, but I don't hate it either. I think it's to big. Ferrari shouldn't have to make 2+2 cars. With the price of a 612 you could buy an F355 and a Maserati.

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    2+2's have a longer history than the V8 cars. Actually, the 2+2's kept the company solvent before Fiat injected some cash.

Not all of us want to be boy racers. Some of us actually prefer a nice usable GT car that is perfect for a weekend trip. You don't have to understand it, but I for one am glad that there is still a 2+2 in the line up.

9. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I hated the pics, but in real life, it looks quite nice. But I'll admit it's no 456 to my eyes.
    BTW, there's no hope for you! :)

10. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I agree it's ugly. Have tried to like it in real life, but it's just not possible.

Don't care for the Enzo either, except for the rear and the rear 3/4 view. Those are fabulous.

The whole fake F1 nose cone thing is stupid the way it's done.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You know what's sad?

The 612 thinks I'm ugly!

12. Stolit

Stolit Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    La Habra Heights, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    The 612 seems to look far too sedate for my tastes, but I don't despise it. I saw it in person up close at a car show and was incredibly underwhelmed. The nearby 575M, 360CS, and 360 Spider all looked like proper sports cars. I didn't think the 612 is necessarily ugly, but it did not make me drool like new Ferraris usually do, and I still haven't warmed up to that front end.

That being said, I think that was Ferrari's goal: To achieve a car that wasn't brash and ostentatious, but rather refined, subtle, and able to yank buyers away from their Mercedes and Bentleys. The fact that it looks *almost* like a generic luxury boat can turn some buyers on to it. Most people don't like being mobbed in their daily drivers.

However, I think the Maserati is better looking, and I'm not crazy about Ferrari's designs of late. I'm lukewarm to the 600 Imola, I don't like the 430's styling (in both cases, I prefer the cars' predecessors), and I flat out despise the styling of the Enzo.

13. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I LIKE IT! So there.

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Its funny how some love the 456 and some don't I didn't think it was very special and almost drove by every one I came across because they were so plain looking. The 612 really looked aweful in pictures with what looked to be a long nose, but in person its quite attractive (to me.)

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I like it, but not as much as the 456. Pininfarina is still the best.

16. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I agree, it's a poor design, just like the 430. It reminds me of the Hyundai Tiburon or whatever it's called!

But it really doesn't matter how it looks. The Ferrari faithful will sing the praises of any car Ferrari puts its name on.

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Tubi, a proper Ferrari and 360 in the same sentence...where have you been since 1949? A proper Ferrari road car has 12 cylinders is what the founding father once said . Do you propose that you know more of what a proper Ferrari should be than Enzo himself? The 360 is a fine motorcar and its looks have grown on me...a little...although I think the new 430 looks better. But, a proper Ferrari as compared to the front engined V12 612....not hardly. And don't give me the 2 seat vs. 4 seat crap. FYI, Enzo always used a 4 seater as his daily driver since the 330GT 2+2.

18. ThePusher

ThePusher Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2004
    #18 ThePusher, Oct 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was at the Paris Auto show and spent some time walking around the silver 612 they had there. No matter what angle I looked from it just did not impress me one bit. I love Ferrari and their last round of designs but this really misses the mark in my book.

A good point was made earlier: I do not think Ferrari was looking to make something flashy or sporty. Look at the 456 that it replaces. The new design is definitely "fresh" especially when compared to the outgoing car.

However, in walking around the car - I don't think it is a well integrated design or "face" for a Ferrari. Here are some pics from my encounter (I hope to post other Paris auto show pics soon - 3 430's, F1 cars, M5, new Alfa, etc.).

Front
    All
    Front Side
    Rear Side
    Side

Sorry for the links... My account if full and there is no way to delete images or include from my own URL.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    the 612 sint what you call the best looking ferrari, and can be a little akward. i think the problem is that Ferrari has such high standards.anyways, every so often, ferrari produces a design that isnt very electric.

i saw a silver 456 the other day, such a gracious and timeless design, however it was so unpopular compared to the other models, people bareky speak of it. sadly, when people think ferrari, they think f50, enzo,360 etc.....

20. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I was a little uncertain about the 612's looks until I got to be around one for a week. The more I looked at it, the more I liked it. I can't wait to drive it!

21. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Well honestly when i first saw it, I was like OMG bring the 456M GT/GTA back! BUTTTT after seeing one in person in red I was impressed. I still am not crazy about the front 3/4 view, but the rest is nice. The interior is beautiful and how can you not be impressed with a 540 horsepower car that will carry FOUR to 192 mph????

22. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

If you see the car in person and still believe it to be ugly then you're sriously misguided in my opinion.

23. angshuman

angshuman Rookie

Jul 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    NaN
    Don't like the froggy eyes. Everything else is fine, I guess. It's no F355, that's for sure... and we're talking about looks here, so the "proper Ferrari = one with 12 cyls" argument doesn't hold in this context. Not that I feel that that argument holds in any other context, for that matter.

24. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    You need to see it in the flesh or in an outdoor, live shot to understand how it all comes together. I've seen many shots that make it look bizarre, but when you see an outdoor/live shot it all makes sense.

It's a sharp car, very long and elegant but still forceful. It will be the ultimate driver's GT.

You may suffer from TR syndrome, the affliction that makes a person think every Ferrari should look like something from Miami Vice. There are various treatments, the most popular being time behind the wheel. ;)

Forza,

Cavallini

25. F430-Monza

F430-Monza Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2004
    I think it looks ok in real life having seen the first example in burgundy color and most recently in black....the 612 will grow on you just like Chris Bangle's designs !

Let's hope the 575 M replacement will have more oomph in terms of looks !