Worried about modern Ferraris long term reliability... | FerrariChat

Worried about modern Ferraris long term reliability...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by EK3R, Oct 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Been reading on one of the other forums how the new Maranello replacement will utilise the Enzo V12 (perhaps) as well as yet more F1 derived trickery / electronics / aids.

Am I the only one that worries what sort of shape these cars are going to be in in 20 years time, as more and more latest tech is added to them?

You can go out and get a Dino now (my all time favourite 'classic'), and keep it in top shape with routine maintenance and minor resoration from time to time. But how the hell are the new cars with electronic everything / suspension / F1 box / diffs / fly by wire etc etc etc going to be feasible to own as a 'classic' in 20 yrs time? My guess is they are going to be a complete nightmare.

Opinions?

2. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was thinking about this the other day mainly as by the time I'm in a position to be able to buy my own, chances are it'll be something that's 'current' at the moment; ie a 360 (huge production numbers must mean they get (relatively) cheap right? :)).

I can forsee some problems with the F1 boxes for starters, never mind all the other electronic bits. Of course I have absolutely no basis for these claims, I'm just a pessimist. I imagine the manual cars would be better, but I really don't know enough about the technicalities of the cars to predict anything.

3. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I think in the same way that aftermarket electronic ignition systems are seen as a way to reduce running costs of older Ferraris, that aftermarket engine/gearbox/e-diff systems will offer as good or better performance than original equipment but at a lower price?

If there's a market for such systems, then someone will be there to supply them.

4. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My old 328 (1988) was pushing on 16 yrs old when I sold it. None of the electric devices e.g. ecu were giving any trouble. And if even electrics go wrong, they can just be replaced with a new one plugged in.

The inherent value of Ferraris will always see that such parts are available (but at a cost no doubt!).

I thus feel optimistic about the future for modern Ferraris, but less so about less valuable cars e.g. BMW, Mercedes, Audi where I can repair costs making maintenance of such cars prohibitive due to the complex make up of such cars now.

Robert.

5. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Perhaps it just cause I'm a geek and like computer, but I have complete faith in all this electronic trickery and would feel totally under control sticking in a SD2 computer myself (might be cheap in future!!) to do all the analysis for me at home, then simply purchasing replacement ECUs / Sensors myself and install... as per any mechanical component. Perhaps it would be easier - plug and play, less requirements for a car lift, heavy duty tools etc. My CAT sensors were replaced with a 'lightweight' screw driver.

Thing about the SD2 on the 360 is it does sooooo much for you in terms of problem analysis and code spewing, that i have no doubt it would make some certain tasks easier for someone like me who actual prefers working with a computer, than working with a oily piece of metal.

Sure you have stuff to learn and Ferrari may never release software and proprietary connectors like the SD2 as 'free', but thats not to say it won't get cheaper... or you can't get your (clean, not oily) hands on it by hook or by crook .. he he. :)

I reckon that other electrical circits (climate control etc) will remain pretty standard and typical, no reason why these should get too much more complex on a sports/racing car.......?

ADE

6. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    Nonsense. Every car is necessarily redolent of its time. Therefore todays ultimate technology is tomorrows simple mechanicals. just enjoy them.