Personalised Registations | FerrariChat

Personalised Registations

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by EK3R, Oct 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Has anyone any suggestions on places to look for personalised registrations?? I am after something with my initials and a few numbers either before or after - for example:

EHK 1234 or whatever

DVLA site only has options for prefix style plates obviously - and I am not really into trying to make a naff word out of A597 CWV (or whatever).

The only site I really know of is NewReg but they seem ridiculously overpriced.

Thanks

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    There are loads of companies offering reg numbers for sale; have a look in Sunday Times , Top Marques, Autocar etc...

3. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    I am currently thinking about purchasing a Rosso Red 456 GT with this excellent plate - F456 RED.

What would you guys think that was worth?

FWIW I was recently sent this information.

http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/searchs/searchresults.asp
    456 RED £10795

http://www.right-reg.co.uk/number_plates/search/456
    456 V £8,499

http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/sales/registrations.asp
    ENZ 456 Price £7,500. Please email [email protected]. (9/2004)

http://www.pl84u.co.uk/cherished2.asp
    456 FER £17350

F355 RED £9,000 Sold by DVLA in Nov 1996
    F360 RED £12,600 Sold by DVLA in Oct 2001
    456 GTM £12,000

Marenellos are also selling some of their plates, including F456 GTM - don't know what they want for it. Unless of course thats a typo on the last plate listed above at £12k.

Cheers Kevan
    :) See you down the road - with huge grins on our faces :)

4. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
  5. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Man all of those 'agent' companies are a RIP OFF. Steer well clear in my opinion unless you enjoy a massive haggling session (i.e. 75% off type haggling)

I'm potentially planning on going to the next auction I can find to buy directly from an owner. If you look at the DVLA historical prices, you get a much better idea what real people are willing to pay and hence the percieved value of these things. For example 69BA would auction for about 4grand... rather than 20 grand which is what NewReg will probably initially quote. Something like 'XXX 12' I guess ballpark 1-2 grand at auction.

How much u lookin to spend?

6. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Blimey those prices are ridiculous. Even the DVLA ones are pretty crazy... but then again if you own a 355 or 360 your rich and have too much money, right :) (!!!??!!)

7. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    I'm fairly sure I saw F360 RED at the Fairmile BBQ in Cobham a few weeks ago. I think he hangs around with the Surrey FOC?

8. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    www.nngb.com

Used them before as well as www.regtransfers.co.uk

The price depends on whats available. I searched long and hard for a XXX nnn plate where XXX was my initials. Finally got one after 6 months, cost was 2k. It was very much a case of take it or leave it, there was nothing else on the market.

9. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Cheers chaps, some useful advice there - am looking at spending somewhere between 1 - 2k (2k absolute tops).

Agree that the agencies absolutely take the p*ss - I had a plate I wanted them to sell - agreed a price I wanted of just over a grand - they put it on their site at £2k!!

£1k commission for listing something on your website - good work if you can get it.....

10. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    I buy a few private numbers through the superb DVLA auctions. They are very friendly and very very well organised and the prices are generally very cheap. I bought a cheapy recently for £400 (77 AJX) which takes the year letter off my Jeep at least. Similar reg's seem to be £1500+.
    There is obviously a lot of cash to be made out of private reg's especially the DVLA auctions, cos at the last 1 there were 2 Bentley Cont GT's 2 360's 1 Vanquish and countless new Range Rovers. Defo worth a visit. They publicise when they are on through the Sunday Times and on the DVLA website. I'm thinking of taking this up much more seriously!

11. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    F456 MAN and 456 MAN are both available over here .....£55 each, bargain !

12. Stimmers360

Stimmers360 Guest

13. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Save £££ by changing your name by deed poll to match the registration of your car.

Robert.

14. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Good idea but I don't fancy becoming Yolanda Wordsworth Lancelot just so it matches the letters in my reg :)

On the other hand it might make me look sophisticated. Hmm dilemma...

15. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    Guess I was lucky getting my 360 modena with the reg M360DNA at no cost.

16. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Its quite incredible - I am seeing the same plates on all these sites with huge variations in the price - wtf??

33 EK ranges from £4k to £7k dependent on which site you go to.

17. Bubblesb

Bubblesb Rookie

Oct 14, 2004
    london
    Full Name:
    nick burnett
    Hi. New to the forum, but not to the car world! Have the plate THE308S, on my 308. Any idea of value? Thanks

18. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Hey - I saw you in the Shell in Putney about a month or so ago! You have some lovely rims on the car, and the two spotlights at the front - lovely looking car.

19. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

Keep it low to the ground. The less the DVLA advertise (and we), the lower the prices will stay! Its basically the only 'deal' left !!

20. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Hi Nick

Welcome to Fchat.

That is some list of cars you own - AWESOME :) :cool:

(Not often I resort to using american slang, but in this case I feel it to be most appropriate)

Were you the guy who got involved in a job shop with a car dealer from up north, who sacked your wife in the programme?

Cheers Kevan
    :) See you down the road - with huge grins on both our faces :)

21. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I was contacted by the owner of 456 RED a little while ago:
    Hello Kevin,
    It was a while ago that I contacted your regarding purchase of your red 456 GT. You had by that time decided to keep it. I went onto to purchase one and also purchased a "cherished number plate" to go with it. I have recently sold the car separately and have also decided to sell the number plate. It is "F456 RED". Would you or any fellow Ferraristi you know be interested? The price is £9.5K. For comparison, an "F355 RED" plate has sold for £14.5K. Regards

Let me know if you want to trade details- I'm obviously not going to post his email address. FWIW I don't think the price comparisons with other 'RED' numbers are valid. There are what, 12 or so red 456s in the country against hundreds of the other models. You could probably count your market on one hand in this case.

K

22. Bubblesb

Bubblesb Rookie

Oct 14, 2004
    london
    Full Name:
    nick burnett
    EK3R- That was indeed me at Putney. I got the rims off a friends 308 who thought they were too flash for his car! Suited me fine! The front spots I had put on when I lived/worked in Paris. Have not used them yet though. Too busy trying to figure out how to work the GPS!
    400 SPYDER- I probably filled in the form wrong. Those are cars I have owned, not all at the same time! Married now, so just left with the car you saw and a range rover for daily smoking!

23. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    DVLA auctions are definitely recommended. There were some seriously nice cars at the last one I went to (as Simon listed!)

I got my plate at auction "V15BEN" for under a grand which is cheap compared to market value!!

Thats the best way IMO

24. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I bought two plates on e-bay

S44 BHR for the wifes SAAB (S44B HR) £250 plus transfer and
    L11 SST (LUSST) for my Jeep which gives lots of people big smiles (but not the fuz on the Isle of Wight) £300 plus trasfer.

I guess if you want a particular number or set of letters then the market dictates the price. I saw either X1 or V1 on a Bentley continental recently, similar with one of reg companies was over £450,000!

25. twotoomany

twotoomany Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    David Higgins
    Some 7/8 years ago I went to an auction held at the NEC Birmingham. I sucessfully bid for two plates 4LH and 7DH. The 4LH was £3800 and 7DH £4650. DVLC produced these plates prefixed by numbers. What a money making exercise. They are historically cheaper than other plates prefixed by letters. Do DVLC Swansea still hold these auctions