New ebay scam technique | FerrariChat

New ebay scam technique

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by don_xvi, Sep 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Here's the latest, plugging in a car insanely cheap for a short auction (maybe to beat the Ferrarichat police?) but get you to preapprove yourself so they can get hold of you to make a deal outside of ebay. Two examples, maybe accounts hacked by the same person?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2490894609&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

And the best, the $15,000 355!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2490959144&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Too bad they couldn't be for real, I'd be getting two new Ferraris and sure not sharing the tip with the public! LOL

Auctions have been reported already.

2. Storm-Rider

Storm-Rider Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    The first one you posted has pictures copied out of this auction from Tempe, Arizona. I should know what most of Tempe looks like as I used to live there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2490478693

I just searched and now there's a 360 Spider outfitted the same as Ken Griffey, Jr.'s, that was posted on eBay not long ago. Funny, I would not have thought that the pictures were shot in Prague. Maybe I don't know much though, I only stay there a few weeks out of the year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2490934089

The first thing you notice about these auctions is they all have the idiot's e-mail address in large font, saying to contact them.

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    This is nothing new, it happened to me when I was selling a BMW motorcycle last year. My ad was copied completely including photos, I had plenty of people calling & emailing me about it. The only thing I could do is contact EBAY to report the fraud. The fictitious scammer was then shut down were I'm sure he started another fake account.

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I agree that this is not new. We've seen these type of ad for the last year in the Jaguar listings. Short listing. Questionable ad. Low price with a low buy-it-now. If you email them, you suddenly find out that the car is in Europe, that they are selling it for their [insert relative] who just died, and you can have it by sending money to a supposed escrow agent. Oh, and they'll include shipping for that low, low price.

I'm sure there must be some poor suckers who fall for this nonsense. But since all of us here on F-chat are exceptionally smart, none of us would ever fall for this crap. These internet scammers give new meaning to "caveat emptor."

5. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    Cross post on another thread but here is the reply for the $15000 F355 below:
    BTW, I replied playing along with the seller stated that I wanna to pay him full $15,000 to make sure I get the Fcar. I asked for his full account. We will see what happens, anyone knows where I can report this kind of scam...?
    reply posted below from my email account:

Hello,

I received your email regarding my 1995 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta .

The Ferrari is in perfect condition,,with no scorches on it,no
    damage.The
    price for the car with shipping included, is $15,000.00 in order to
    eliminate any concerns i sugest a deposit of $3,000.00 and after you
    have
    received the car , you can pay me the balance.

Shipping will be done via Lufthansa and will take no more then 4-5
    days.

All the manuals and the original documents are in English.
    It is made for US market and has US specs on it (speedometer in miles).
    The
    buyer will receive this along with all papers and receipts that he
    needs
    to register it in his name.He will receive the TITLE , keys,owner
    manual...
    It has a Clear Title and it is in Showroom Condition.

The Ferrari is in Europe,Czech Republic and it will be shipped from
    here on
    my expense.
    Please REPLY WITH YOUR NAME AND SHIPPING ADDRESS IN YOUR NEXT EMAIL.

I will wait for your email to let me know if you are interested in
    knowing
    more details
    about the purchase.

Thanks!
    Nick Treadway

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Hoo boy, that's a good one. I'm still laughing. :D

7. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    What kills me is they use pix of a VERY nice car and put such a ridiculously low price on it.

Now if they put pix of a rough 355 and said it needed some work and priced it in the $40's saying they needed out of it they would do much better.

8. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    nothing NEW. this scam has been around. honestly, if you are dumb enuf to believe you can buy a ferrari for $15k then you deserve to be ripped off.

i wonder, how many Ferrari's exist in the Czech.

9. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    OK, they're all gone now. Damn, I was hoping to get that 355! I'd have sold my 308 to pay for it! LOL

Lessee, sell the Ferrari I have cheap to get cash right away, then send $3000 into a black hole and never see a car. So I'm out a Ferrari AND $3000 and don't have enough left to buy another! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

10. Storm-Rider

Storm-Rider Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Hey come on. Let's not blame the victim. That must demoralize the victims and then they don't share what happened to them and divert others from the potential scams. I sure wish I could find a Ferrari for $200.

There's more and more Ferrari's in the Czech Republic. There seems to be a new dealership with Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, and maybe other stuff. The first time I rode by fast and far away at night but I swore I could see the lines of a new 612.

11. Yock

Yock Rookie

May 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ryan Yockey
    I emailed this guy Nick Treadway about the low price and here was his response

"Hello ,

Well I need money fast because my daughter has some serious health problems.
    She suffers from a rare heart disease and she urgently needs a heart surgery, which is very expensive, so now I must sell this car very fast because this could be our only chance.

I'm aware that the car worth more then that , but the car is less important right now then my daugther's health!

Let me know if you are really interested!

Nick Treadway"

12. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  13. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    allmost all of these ebay links are invalid items.......

14. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    That's a good thing, it means ebay has already pulled the item. FC police at work!

15. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Someone claimed to have a 1969 312 F1 car . biddind started out at $2000.00 or buy it now for $12,000.00. I think it was the same scammer that copied the Daytona ad. Next time, I'll make a copy of the false EBAY ad.

16. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch