328 for BB512i | FerrariChat

328 for BB512i

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 328KNB, Oct 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 328KNB

328KNB Karting

Jun 14, 2004
    Can anyone out there give me a view on the values and running costs for a BB512i vs a 328? I have had a 328 for several years now and have the opportunity to upgrade. The candidate car is a low mileage example but no garage queen and will be serviced before purchase. Problem is that funds are not unlimited and I am concerned that the BB will end up breaking the bank....

2. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I would double everything at least, the 328s are one of the least expensive Ferraris to own, 328 parts seem to be a bargain compared to some Boxer parts and most are still available unlike the Boxer.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have owned a 328 and now own a BB512i. Some parts for a Boxer are more expensive, but not all. Service will cost more as you have 4 more cylinders and you have to remove the engine to replace the cam seals, although you DO NOT have to remove the engine to change the cam belts or adjust the valves. So, a Boxer will cost you more(not twice as much IMHO), but it's worth it to get that flat-12 behind you. I traded my my 348 Spider even for my Boxer and have never looked back.

4. 328KNB

328KNB Karting

Jun 14, 2004
    Thanks guys - the idea of the 12 sounds great but the finances won't cut it - yet.

5. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I don't want to start a controversy, but...

Upgrade to a 348! :)

Just get a good one that's already had the major service... you should be pretty much trouble free and highly satisfied with the performance improvements.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While I agree that a 348 is an upgrade from a 328, neither compare to a Boxer...or any other 12 cylinder model for that matter. If 328KNB can't quite swing a Boxer yet, he should try a 365GTC/4, 365GT 2+2, 400GT or one of the other many 12 cylinder Ferraris that can be had for around the same cost as a 328.

7. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    I have had the pleasure of owning 3 Ferraris, a 512 BB, a F355 GTS, and a 456 GT. By far the one that has given me the least headaches and holes in the wallet is the Boxer. It is the least expensive to service and about as mechanically bulletproof as any high performance sports car I have ever owned. Get a good one and you should have very few problems.

8. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Boxer is my choice. Get them while they are cheap! and get the best one you can find at todays market. All i can say is buy to DRIVE !!!

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes the Boxer is a wonderful car. Not really that bad to service either if your handy with the wrench. The only real weak/expensive point in the cars is the transmission. They are a good unit..but don't hold up to well with hard/aggrevise driving. But take care of it and drive it right,and it will last you for a long while yet.

10. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Tom ,
    I have a '84BBi and heard different views with driving techniques on shifting.
    Of course the trans. was not made to speed shift but can you be more specific on how to drive the beast .

Thanks,
    Dave

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Basicly you must be as smooth as possiable when shifting. Avoid driveline "shock" such as aggressive dead stop acceleration. All shifts should be smooth and non forced. In other words allow the trans to pull you into gear rather then you pushing it in. By shifting and applying slight pressure during the gear change the lever will just fall into place.

Be extra carefull when accelerationg hard out of tight corners. This can put heavy strains on the differentail espeacially when downshifting mid corner and the accelerating hard. The sudden disappearance of power and the the reapperance of power plus more torque plays hell with the diff's in the cars.

Now I'm not saying to totaly baby the trans,,it can take a good beating but it will not hold up to it on a constant basis. Do your oil changes as recommended and shifter adjustments as soon as deemed required. A missaligned shifter can cause havoc to internal components of the trans.

12. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I think what Tom is refering to is dumping the clutch, tire smoking burn outs and speed shifting which is hard on any car

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well yes that..and just the general care and smoothness shifts should be made to prolong trans life. You can bang gears all day long in a 5k Mustang 5.0 and stll drive it to church on sunday. But the 512 is not like that because of the amount of weight in the back end of the car. Same type of thing goes for the Testarossa.

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

what is not mentioned by tom but i'm certain has been contemplated...the main shaft!

this is a problem area on both the bb/i and tr's. i have , along w/ william h had the maishaft actually sheer and i can assure that i have never been even remotely abusive...it is just a weak point of an otherwise spectacular ferrari.

btw, i do not think a 348 offers much more than a 328...just a bit more performance. by no means is it nicer looking...the 328 has few rivals in sex appeal!

the boxer, as frank states is really a special car. funnier yet is for many (myself included...the boxer was the next car for me, but i never knew that it could be the last car! i dont know of a better road going ferrari and i've driven most of the important ones!

now having said all that...i am looking to purchase a daytona this spring.

after allwe ferrari folks can get a little compulsive!

peter

15. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Actually the Boxer doesn't have the trans shaft problem like the TR, its a weak point but extremely rare for it to fail vs the TR, the TR weighs about 500lbs more than a 512BB and has stickier wider rear tires so they are prone to breaking vs the Boxer.

Concerning a 348 I would hardly call it an upgrade from a 328.

16. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    It's not the mainshaft that is weak, it's the "quill" or input shaft...basically the one that goes from the lower transfer gear into the gearbox....and they are weak on all the flat 12 series cars, but there are several different interchangeable part numbers for them.

On my carb BB, I did a low speed rolling burnout for a photo shoot once. It was at Thruxton circuit at lunch time on a track day. I had driven the car all morning, did the burnout out (just enough to puff some smoke for the camera, not a crazy one), and then I drove the car all afternoon and then back home again after another 40 laps or so.

Next time the car was used, it broke the quill shaft when being reversed out the garage slightly up hill...it was the first time reverse had been selected since the burnout......

Replaced the quill shaft for a TRossa one and away we went again!

17. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for the input. I tend to drive with a light foot and follow most of what you mentioned.

18. 328KNB

328KNB Karting

Jun 14, 2004
    Thanks for all the input, gang. Will take the BBi if the owner accepts my offer. Otherwise will keep the 328 for now. Not to add fuel to the 328/348 fire on the site but I wouldn't consider this route. A 355 is another story however - just HUGELY overpriced down here in South Africa...

19. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    Good luck. The BBi is a great drivers car.

20. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    at the risk of starting a war, I disagree.... The BBi drives quite nicely, but the carb car is a drivers car........! (light the fuse and take 3 steps back....)

21. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    To clarify my statement, the BBi is a great driver's car and the BB is even better (I am a bit partial as mine is a BB) !