360 Headlights Problems ? | FerrariChat

360 Headlights Problems ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by CWP911, Oct 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CWP911

CWP911 Rookie

May 11, 2004
    Sonoma, CA.
    Full Name:
    Constantine
    Does anyone have any experience with attempting to remove the clear housing from the 360 headlight to clean or re-paint ?, While having the front end re-painted on my 2002, some piece of work managed to get dust & water inside the sealed units, a real mess. They are siliconed together in a quite effective manner. Any ideas or experience would be greatly appreciated, since my cost on new ones is 4200-, THANKYOU

2. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    This is a long-standing problem with the 360 headlights. I've asked for solutions when this developed one year after ownership of my 2001 (I bought new). Asked on the owner's site. No response. Asked the dealer, who forwarded my problem to FNA. Nothing. Finally, after some brainstorming with the service manager, we figured that the way to clean it is to remove the housing and lights. Then clean the interior, from the light holes, with a cloth attached to a stick or wire. Very tedious work. I haven't tried it yet since it doesn't affect the quality of the lights at night. It just look funky at night from the outside.

If anyone have a better solution, other than buying new units, let me know.

3. FerrariCF

FerrariCF Karting

Apr 14, 2004
    we had a body shop CAREFULY cut around the seal, the resealed it. The customer had the car painted another color. So far no problems

4. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA

To aid in separating the seal you can heat the headlight assembly in an oven set to 175-200 degrees for a few(5) minutes.

*I take no responsibility of ruined headlamps!

Best,
    Pino

5. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I wonder if they changed the design.

I haven't had any dust or moisture or spider intrusion problems with my 03. I've even driven it in the rain a few times (no, they don't melt!).

6. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    No spider intrusion here. But you live in S. CA. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and drive my 360 all year 'round (let me tell you about rain. :)). I have some dust near the weep hole in the leading edge of the lights and some condensation spots. Not noticeable in the daytime though.

I think the F430 units are completely sealed.

7. CWP911

CWP911 Rookie

May 11, 2004
    Sonoma, CA.
    Full Name:
    Constantine
    After some contemplation & conversation, I will try to cook one in the oven,I will let you all know how it turns out, success or a 2500- shrinkey-dink !!!!!!!!

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I think this is the best way if you're going to do it. It would have to be pretty funky to bother doing though.

Good luck. You skrew that up and you'll be hating life as those babies are a couple g's spensive.

9. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i had to replace both headlight assemblies in my red stradale. they were $3000 each!!! i'm glad i have good insurance :)

btw, the headlights (and the front bumper and windshield) on my yellow stradale got sand blasted on a long drive on mountain and canton roads. i had hoped the sand damage to the headlights could be polished out or simply replaced. but apparently they are sealed units so you can't replace the plastic lense covers. i've also been told that you can't polish them either, but it wasn't clear why. any ideas besides replacing them at $3K each?

10. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Perhaps polishing alters the way the light beams are projected?

I have Stonegard covers on my headlight lenses. They take the beating for all the driving I do and saved the lenses from damage many times on trips. Getting the inside of the lights cleaned is the tricky part.

11. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    My mechanic removed the main light bulb (not the whole assembly) and used a high pressure air hose and blasted away in there to clear the dust. Don't ask me where the dust went but it did help. It did not clear all of it but it improved it by 50%. Not sure why he didn't try to remove the whole light assembly in order to have a larger hole?? Anyway, it is a problem. Cutting the seal or cooking one sounds SCARY!!

12. CWP911

CWP911 Rookie

May 11, 2004
    Sonoma, CA.
    Full Name:
    Constantine
    Sometimes life is scarey,but you take the risk and hope for the best. In this case thing went very well. 200@20 min, three times did the job & saved me 4200-, got to love that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    The dust problem happens when the "draft tube" under the headlight assy is installed wrong. If the tube is run properly it hangs in the air stream creating a vacuum in the light. When improperly installed it points forward into the airstream and gets the dirt and dust rammed into the light assy. I have actually had lights with dust only problems clear up when the tube mounting is corrected.
    Dave

14. mnm

mnm Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Had the same problem with my headlights a year into ownership.
    My dealer had them removed and cleaned for free. Didn't fix the problem entirely, but the lights look MUCH better after some internal cleaning.

Not sure how they did it though!

15. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I think your mechanic tried to blow the dust through the weep hole in the leading edge of the light housing. Some of the dust probably got out as intended, but I would think that most of it were just pushed into the edge of the lense by the air.

Cutting the seal and cooking? Nope.

16. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Please find out and post directions. I probably have to do this myself since my dealer is not going to do this for free.

17. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    What about simply plugging them up after cleaning the housing? Any problems might develop by doing that?

18. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I don't think you want to completely seal the unit -- you don't want the expanding air inside to crack the glass. I imagine it gets very hot very quickly in there when the lights are turned on. You also need a return path for air as the lamps cool, otherwise the glass housing could implode. (In fact, that's probably the mechanism by which dust and moisture are drawn in...)

19. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I am sure they would fog right away. Ambiant air has too much moisture, and it would act like a dual pane window that has lost its argon charge. The heat of the headlight and the colder outside air would surely cause condensation. When the draft tube is positioned properly it will actually draw a vacuum in the headlight assy at highway speeds.
    Dave