Dino driving characteristics | FerrariChat

Dino driving characteristics

Discussion in '206/246' started by Fcarfan, Oct 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fcarfan

Fcarfan Rookie

Oct 6, 2004
    East Falls-Philly
    Full Name:
    Perry Tishgart
    I'm in the process of searching for a Dino 246 gt
    I've driven 3, only one recently.
    The last one I drove was interesting.
    It was smooth upon acceleration, however if I was holding steady at speed in 2nd or 3 rd gear, the engine was "snorting"..not quite a backfire, but almost.
    The owner suggested that an upshift was in order, or just accelerate more.
    Is this typical of the dino ?
    perry

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Welcome aboard.

All Dino's have some quirks. Stumble a bit in left hand turns (carbs not designed for a transverse mounted engine) 2nd gear can be cranky, especially cold, and many seem to burble, especially on deceleration. The explanation I got from a very wise mechanic had to do with the air flow through the exhaust.

The factory exhaust has a particular flow. The aftermarket exhausts do not flow the same, mostly a little less restrictive. It can also be a timing and/or carb jetting issue.

Remember the Dino has two timing settings, one for idle to 3K, and another for 3K and above. And, if you fit the free-er flowing exhaust, there may be a carb jetting adjustment you can make to mitigate it.

Mine bubbles a bit on decel. Actually quite a bit. We're addressing it this fall with an updated ignition system and different carb jets. Hoping that does the trick.

Also, you might want to wander over to Alberto's in Newtown Square this Saturday between 10 and 3. Algar is having a meet, and lots of intelligent Ferrari types will be there.

Need directions, PM me. I will be there after lunch with my Dino, and I'm sure the other couple that are in the area will be there at some point, too.

If you show, introduce yourself (fill out your profie here so we know who you are) and we can take a lap in my Dino to see if it feels better or worse than some of the others you've been in.

Dave M.

3. Fcarfan

Fcarfan Rookie

Oct 6, 2004
    East Falls-Philly
    Full Name:
    Perry Tishgart
    <Also, you might want to wander over to Alberto's in Newtown Square this Saturday between 10 and 3. Algar is having a meet, and lots of intelligent Ferrari types will be there.>

Thanks for the heads up.
    I came up with alberto's Italian Rest, in Newtown square...is that the one ?

Perry

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

that's the one.

PM me if you need directions.

Dave