Slight oil seepage behind Oil cooler fittings on 308QV How to fix? | FerrariChat

Slight oil seepage behind Oil cooler fittings on 308QV How to fix?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, Oct 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I bought a new oil cooler for my 308 and there is a slight seepage of oil coming from behind the fitting. Right where the hose/flare fitting goes it. I have tried to tighten them more but that is about as tight as I feel they should be. Is there anything to stop this? It is bad but after a drive if you wipe your finger on the joint that goes into the fitting I can see a small smear of fresh oil on my finger. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They don't really need to be super tight to seal. I have seen both the cooler seats and the hose fittings with small imperfections that prevented them from sealing. It is also possible you got some debris on the sealing surfaces preventing a proper seal. Try taking it apart, cleaning and inspecting it. Sometimes slight loosening and rotating the pipe back and forth will also take care of it.

3. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I tried rotating the hose and angle different ways but it didn't seem to help much. It doesn't leak so much that it will drip but I notice it. I made sure that the flare was centered also. What should I do if my new oil cooler has an imperfection in the fitting keeping it from sealing 100%? Thanks.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I wasn't talking about moving it so much as I meant rubbing the sealing surfaces back and forth against each other in an attempt to either wipe away debris or slight lapping of the surfaces. If you can show a definate imperfection you should be able to return it but that may be dependant on your relationship with your supplier. I have used lapping compound to make a good seal when circumstances required it but extreme caution needs to be used to prevent that abrasive stuff from getting into the cooler because you will never get it out. At least not until you start the engine.

5. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Yes, I looked at all of the surfaces and there were no imperfections that were noticeable to the naked eye. I thought you were referring to faulty cooler that I wouldn't notice the imperfection. The leak is actually behind the fitting. Where the hose flared section comes through the ftting (female end from the engine/oil filter housing)