Dino Gear Box | FerrariChat

Dino Gear Box

Discussion in '206/246' started by raywong, Oct 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    My 2nd gear is very nasty when cold, shifting up is alright, but it always grinds when downshifting from 3rd. I had to downshift to 2nd smoothly by double de-clutch.
    It gets so much better after 10 minutes of driving, all gears becoms very smooth, no need to double de-clutch.
    After 20 minutes of driving, the gear box heats up, ash tray becomes hot to the touch(normal?), and the 2nd gear becomes very difficult again. The mechanic checked the oil and said it looks new. Maybe it is wrong grade?

Also, when I reverse, I must step on the clutch and wait at least 5 seconds before I engage into reverse, otherwise it will grind. This only happens when the car is warm, but ok when cold. Any explaination?

Thanks,
    Raymond

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ray,

How many miles on the car???

2nd gear is notorious for bad shifting when cold. Mine will go in on an upshift, double clutch not necessary, but have to be slow and careful, but absolutely refuses on a downshift, unles I let the rpm's down and double clutch, gently engaging it into gear. I usually skip 2nd until the car is warm.

I will check the ashtray heat question when I take her out this weekend, I have never notcied it being unusually warm, but then again, I don't remember ever testing it, either.

Reverse in my car engages with ease. Although the gate shifter and it's odd position at top left does sometimes make it a little tricky. Warm, cold doesn't matter, reverse engages well.

There was a discussion on gearboxes in the Dino in an earlier thread. A search will turn it up.

As to gear oil. My mechanic puts in exactly what is specified in the book. Feels that other wiehgts may make it feel a little smoother, but will mask potential damage to the gears by doing so.

3. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    I was told by the garage I bought my car from that this affects all Dinos, and you shouldn't use second gear until the gearbox is warmed up.

4. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    Dave,

My car has 41873 Miles.

I guess my 2nd gear is not so bad, if everyone else has some problems too.

Please check the ash tray for me and let me know the result.

Do you have heat sipping into the car, I am not sure where it is coming from but the faster I go the more hot air gets in. I suspect it sip in thru the saddle area or underneath the dash. I had blocked out the heater core already so it must be something else.

Thanks!
    Raymond

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Raymond -- Just select one of the forward gears immediately before trying to select reverse -- should stop the grinding (and take less than 5 seconds ;)).

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

They can be very warm. I leave the fresh air blower on, and set it to cold. I also have air conditioning, which helps a little. It's just not ever going to be a great hot weather car.

I have insulated the tunnel for the transmission with foam, that helped a little too.

and 91Tr is correct, I often put the car into 1st before I put it into reverse. makes it go much easier.

7. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    Dave,
    what is making the tunnel so hot? the radiator is so far away in the front and the engine is behind it, there is no heat source in the tunnel, how?

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#8 dm_n_stuff, Oct 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think the coolant hoses run through the tunnel to the front mounted radiator.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    I think I found a possible source of the warm air. The brake fluid inspection door behind the spare tire is missing in my car. At high speed, the air rush thru the radiator and enter from there, thru the pedal hole and into the cabin. The plastic molded tub has a lot of cracks that might also leak hot air into the cabin too.