Track Event October 9-10 | FerrariChat

Track Event October 9-10

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by chasking, Aug 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Hey everybody, the Alfa Club is having their annual Fall Challenge track event at Road America on October 9-10. Here's the official description:

The Chicago Alfa Romeo Owners Club invites you to participate in the 2004 CAROC Fall Challenge at Road America Time Trial on Saturday and Sunday, October 9th and 10th. Come enjoy the beautiful fall colors and have lots of motor sports fun.

The format will be open practices by class followed by timed runs. Touring will be at noon and will run for one hour. There will be timed runs in the afternoon. The timed format will be: 3/4 warm up lap, two full timed laps from corner 14 to 14, and into pit lane. This is done in solo fashion (no traffic, not wheel to wheel, no passing).

This year we are going to increase your lapping track time by running fewer timed runs on Saturday.

Safety requirements for Time Trialing are as follows:

Car must pass safety tech inspection
    Helmets and seat belts are required
    Fixed roll bars are mandatory for open cars only

For more information go to

www.caroc.com

This will be my first year at this event but by all accounts it is a blast. Non-Alfas are welcome; I know they've had the occasional Ferrari there in past years. Hope to see you there!

2. Manuel NSX1164

Manuel NSX1164 Karting

Jul 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Its been a few years since I've been to this CAROC event, but its a lot of fun.
    One of our Milwaukee-area F40 drivers used to participate in this.

Their "lunchtime touring" was one of the cool features -- pretty "spirited" driving if I remember correctly.

Any F-chat folks going ??

3. paddle_shift

paddle_shift Rookie

Mar 30, 2004
    I have been 3 out of the last 4 years... Lots of variety of cars - Porsche's, NSX's, BMW's... Not very many Alpha's to be honest. Fun Event if the weather cooperates. Welcome to Wisconsin!

4. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    #4 chasking, Oct 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The CAROC Fall Challenge track event last weekend was a blast! An amazing array of cars came out. My father and I went up for Sunday's festivities, and worked a corner. The morning was lapping, with timed runs in the afternoon. In between was "touring", in which drivers who were not competing could drive the track. We got a few laps in in my Alfa Spider---what a blast! Even if you have no intention of full-out tracking your car, I highly recommend touring, to get some of the feel of driving on a real road course.

Here are some pics that may be of interest to Ferrari fans. The biggest news was the 333SP that showed up. What an amazing sound---like nothing else on the track!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    #5 chasking, Oct 17, 2004
  6. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    #6 chasking, Oct 17, 2004
  7. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    #7 chasking, Oct 17, 2004
    Cars line up for touring. This F40 passed us at one point out on the course. (No surprise there, I suppose.) There were a number of other F-cars there for touring as well, but I didn't get pictures of them, alas.

8. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    #8 chasking, Oct 17, 2004
    Not a Ferrari, but still noteworthy: a Porsche Carrera GT at speed on the track. Unfortunately for us spectators, the driver was being very conservative, which I guess is understandable.