Tamiya Ferrari Enzo 1/12...what do u like or dislike ? | FerrariChat

Tamiya Ferrari Enzo 1/12...what do u like or dislike ?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F430-Monza, Oct 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430-Monza

F430-Monza Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2004
    Please share your thoughts

2. SupercarFreak

SupercarFreak Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Kensington, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex S.
    frankly im disappointed with the model. there's quite a few areas on the body where theres some spots that have just been scratched repeatedly, it seems like it was the manufacturer's fault, and no, the cloth included will not fix that. also i really thought they could have made the body out of metal, the panel gap/fit is unacceptable. and the model is way too light for what it costs. it weighs about 2 pounds. their F50 is much heavier, and my 1:12 Murcielago which was $360 is about 8 pounds.

when i was installing the front hood, my windshield popped out, one of the pins the windshield uses to connect to the frame separated. i noticed when i opened the right door, it wouldnt go all the way because the panel on top of the car in the middle was preventing it because of the windshield. i spent about 15 minutes trying to use tools to push the pin into an area that would allow me to fix the windshield, i was getting so pissed. so then my middle piece on top of the cabin was elevated and didnt look good, so i snapped it off and plan to re-glue it

i got mine for $519 incl. shipping. apparently I made out because MSRP is $623, what a joke LOL

i remember dropping something so that it hit the plastic tub i had in front of me that had all the screws, etc sitting inside so i lost one of the centercaps for the wheels and of course the last place i look is around the metal base of my chair and it was stuck to it - magnetized

i was waiting for it to be sunny outside to take pics, which it is right now, but frankly im so disappointed with the model that i'm not going to take any. just seeing the model in my room pisses me off, the quality is terrible.

3. F430-Monza

BANNED

Sep 26, 2004
    You should forward the above to Tamiya USA and tell them to forward it to Tamiya Japan for immediate attention !!!
    Btw...the cloth will work on minor..and I mean minor scratches...coz it works on my case...but guess yours is a more serious nature !

4. F430-Monza

BANNED

Sep 26, 2004
    For your info..you should wait for the Enzo in 1/18 scale by BBR in die-cast metal as that will be a model worth waiting for !

It will be retailing at approx US$ 299.00 when available between Dec 2004 or Feb 2005.

Also Kyosho will also be producing the Enzo in 1/12 scale with body again in die-cast metal.

Exoto will also be producing the Enzo in both 1/18 and 1/10 scale also with die-cast metal body.

5. SupercarFreak

Feb 22, 2004
    Kensington, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex S.
    thanks for the info/advice.

i have 3 exoto 1:18 and each one is pure quality.

i think i will wait for exoto's 1:10 enzo for $998.95 - we have at least 2 years to save up ;)

6. F430-Monza

BANNED

Sep 26, 2004
    The Exoto's 1/10 Enzo will be out in 2006...but definitely worth the wait !
    Do you know they are also planning a Ferrari 250 GTO in 1/18 scale ?

7. SupercarFreak

Feb 22, 2004
    Kensington, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex S.
    yes i did, they're also planning a few more ferraris in 1:18, i cant remember
    lusso and daytona maybe

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the short commings in the model. I didn't buy one becuase of the fact it's plastic..and the engine compatment does not have enough detail. I don't like how you can see the molding lines around the transcase. Now the model is a very nice peice to look at as I have said. BUT on close examination it's short commings become very appearent. I'm the type of guy that if I spend big bucks on somthing I expect quality. The Enzo model does not have the quality a 650 buck model should. It's nice but not as good as it could be. I missed out on the F-50 model. I really wish I had bought that one as it was a nice model..and it was priced right.

The exoto models should blow anything out of the water. I will be buying one of those guys. In fact I'm on the list for bothe the GTO and ENZO. I hopefull will be one of the first to get them.

9. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    Apparently the exoto Ferraris have been announced 2 years prior so we could be in a for a long wait.

T.

10. SupercarFreak

Feb 22, 2004
    Kensington, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex S.
    you didn't miss out on the F50, you can still get a mint one on ebay for like $250

11. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    The red F40 and yellow F50 are still readily available even from dealers.

T.

12. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Alex,

wow..sorry your disappointed

On the plus side, we just had our wholesale prices jacked up to us for all future purchases. In otherwords...either we have to sell them at $650 ish or not at all.....from the sound of it ...it looks this this will be the shortest new release of a model ever, as I plan to stop carrying it.

13. SupercarFreak

Feb 22, 2004
    Kensington, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex S.
    Hey Ron,

wasn't your fault, thanks for the model, it came mint thanks to your packaging, and good thing i got it for $500 ;)

Alex

14. Volks

Volks Karting

Sep 22, 2004
    I have already posted my comment in here:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33595

Am I disappointed, yes and no. Mainly due to the fact the body is not made of metal (too light), hinges are also made of plastic (too fragile), assembling instruction does not warn of fragile parts.

I can't complain about the price I paid...... Don't cry guys: it's less then three hundred fifty bucks. Don't ask where and how. All I can say is it is not a special price and it is a normal retail price where I live.

Anyway, here we go again

15. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Im also disappointed with mine. Like Alex, my windscreen wasnt properly installed right out of the box. I had to bend and pry it terribly so the top alignment pins wld drop into place. Even being careful, I already broke one of my engine cover hinges. Also pisses me off that I even have to assemble such a damn expesive model. My eyes arent as good as they used to be, and I struggled with those tiny screws on the underbelly. Curse Mattel and their F'ing license. Anybody else think the color is a little too dark for Rosso Corsa? Park your 1:12 Kyosho F40 next to the Enzo and see what I mean. Lastly, one of my rear wheels is crooked... angled backwards. And I was very careful to make sure each wheel was properly seated as someone here suggested.

Bottom line, this piece is grossly overpriced. I got mine from Tower Hobby @ $459 + 8 bux shipping and I feel that was still too much. Im curious to see how the Kyosho version turns out.

On a positive note, I previously asked if the car can fit back into itsa box assembled... i was told no, but I found that you can if you simply leave off the engine cover. Thats a blessing because I dont ever want to reinstall those tiny screws again.

16. F430-Monza

BANNED

Sep 26, 2004
    I have a mint red color Tamiya Ferrari F50 for sale at US$ 275 delivered by to your destination...let me know if u are keen.

17. F430-Monza

BANNED

Sep 26, 2004
    The hinges on this model except the bonnet are all made of metal !

18. F430-Monza

BANNED

Sep 26, 2004
    Dislike : Non metal body , no simulated hydraulic lifters for boot, high price, engine details could be better, and micro scratches on body that varies from kit to kit !

19. Volks

Volks Karting

Sep 22, 2004

Oh... Thanks.

Due to the unclear assembly instructions, I still managed to break the metal hinges......

20. F430-Monza

BANNED

Sep 26, 2004

Dude...you can get replacement parts for a nominal fee if you contact Tamiya USA or Tamiya Japan.

Just be careful and gentle the next time round...

21. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

dammit Monza! I didnt notice the hood struts were missing, now Im even more disappointed. Another thing is the side Pininfarina emblems cldve been done better.

My engine cover hinges are also broken... and I was very delicate. The screw pulled out of the plastic (ok ABS) lid body. Holes now stripped out and too big to reattach hinge.

...and I really liked Tamiya models.

22. Volks

Volks Karting

Sep 22, 2004
    If there are more then one person who broke their engine cover hinges then there is a serious design fault with them. So far I can count 3, including me. Should Tamiya supply us the replacement part free of charge ?!

Would anyone correct me if I am wrong. The attach-point for the hinges on the body are like hard plastic to me. Since the one I broke has white stress marks on it.

23. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Well, not exactly sure what you mean, but the hinge does get screwed into the engine cover - its one full piece, and it is plastic. That screw hole is now stripped. No visiable stress marks from the outside, but I cannot repair it neatly without replacing the entire cover. Im not about to start fiberglassing a $500+ model.

Lets monitor this thread a little longer and see if anyone else has this problem before contacting Tamiya.

24. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    From what many of you are saying, the model seems pretty chinzy workmanship for $600.. I have seen it, but not actually taken one apart or put it together...

25. F430-Monza

BANNED

Sep 26, 2004
    I think the replacement parts are free of charge, except the shipping charges which they ( Tamiya ) will charge you for delivering them to you.