Considering a 330gt 2+2 | FerrariChat

Considering a 330gt 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by barranr, Oct 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barranr

barranr Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Herndon VA
    Full Name:
    Rod Barrand
  2. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    That is a good one to buy as it's from an honest seller. I assume you have checked out www.Tomyang.net ?

Best,

Yale

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
  4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It looks very nice from the photographs.

Here's a history of that particular car:
    http://www.parrotbyte.com/330gtregistry/detail/sn%5F6413.html

If you like it, I would suggest getting the car inspected by someone knowledgeable. You'll want to make sure that everything works properly, and that the engine is healthy.

If it gets a good report, I'd say go for it. The price certainly seems reasonable.

--Matt

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Bear in mind, the maintainence costs on a 2+2 are basically the same as a California Spider. Whereas on a Spider, its not a lot relative to the value of the car, on a 2+2 it is.

That said, 330 2+2 are great cars. The most vintage Ferrari bang for the buck.

Regards,

Art S.

6. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    I love my 330 GT 2+2! I cant tell you how cool it is to have a vintage Ferrari from the time Enzo owned 100% of Ferrari, there were no US regulations, and it is a front engine V12. It floats my boat much more than than modern Ferraris. Just make sure you find a good running example as to restore one costs far more than it will be worth in the end. I dont think 330s will ever be worth less than they are now. As I understand it they are much better built than the 2 seaters of that time. Mine is built like a tank. A hell of a lot for the money.

Dan

7. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have to second Dan's comments.

I have a nice driver 330 that is very "well sorted" mechanically, reliable, and looks good all around. When I took a lot of it apart in 2003 I discovered for myself that it is indeed built like a tank. I've got enough in it to buy a good 328 or maybe 348 but I wouldn't be able to work on those cars to the extent I can the 330 and I wouldn't have wanted one for my first Ferrari anyway. I'm a hard core V12 man at heart and didn't want anything else.

Regarding to 1960's Ferrari production 2+2 aesthetic qualities, my opinions for your consideration:

The 250GTE/330 America is a very strong design, pretty and elegant in the same sense that a Lusso or PF coupe or roadster is.

The 330 2+2 lacks the finesse of the Lusso and GTE, but on the other hand it is more robust and aggressive in appearance, larger in presence withought appearing overweight. To me, a 330 2+2 in the right color, etc., says Bad Ass Car in the spirit of the American Musclecars.

The 365 2+2 is also nicely proportioned and refined in the same sense as the GTE even though it is very large, too large for me, and the closest Ferrari has come to a real luxury cruiser.

I've owned several high interest-factor and now high value cars over a 30+ yr period and I've never had so much fun as with the 330--seeing the horse horn button in the middle of that elegant Nardi wheel does do something to you.

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Looks like all of the guys from Tom's site are chiming in here!

I agree with the above sentiments. Also, when new the 2+2's were more expensive than most of the 2 seaters.

Art S.

9. barranr

barranr Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Herndon VA
    Full Name:
    Rod Barrand
    thanks for all the responses and links, we are setting up an inspection this weekend, i'll let you know what it's like

10. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Rod,

I'll third Dan's comments. You've come to the right place- between here and Tom Yang's you will find all the help (and support!) you need. For still more 330 reading, go to Kerry's too: http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari

Cheers,
    Jon

ps. and when did 'considering' become a euphemism for 'lusting for' ?

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Interestingly, the car has a "330 America" badge on its tail. It doesn't seem that long ago when Tom Yang was desperately searching for that badge and here's one of them on the wrong car.

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Wayne,

This car and its 330 america badge was mentioned during Tom's search. I think there is w write-up on the car in Tom's owners section.

Regards,

Art S.