Slightly OT: Cost of ownership in Colorado | FerrariChat

Slightly OT: Cost of ownership in Colorado

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Scott_in_Houston, Oct 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scott_in_Houston

Dec 17, 2003
    Housotn, Texas
    I'm in Texas now. I may get a transfer to Colorado, and wanted to ask about the cost of ownership there.
    In Texas, all cars regardless of cost, are ~$72/year to register. There's no property tax or any other fee for owning the car here.

In Colorado, is there a property tax? What is the registration cost for moving a car into the state (based on the value of the car)?

I'm looking forward to driving around in beautiful Colorado, but am curious as to the cost of owning nice cars there.

Thanks in advance!

2. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    All depend where you're moving to. In town, it's around 7% but outside city limits, 3 %. I hope some smarter F friend will give you more info LOL
    Anyway, you will be welcome here even if you come fromTX hehehe
    Roland
    F40LM

3. Scott_in_Houston

Dec 17, 2003
    Housotn, Texas
    Thanks Roland. :)

I'll check into it some more.
    If it makes you feel better, I'm native. I was born in Denver and lived there several years, but have been in Houston for the last 30. :)

4. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    In that case, you'll have a shock with the growth in this town!!! But the Front Range is still the best place to live in. I travel a bunch to nice place in the US but this is the best, no doubt.
    Roland
    F40LM

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I think the % number Roland is quoting is the sales tax if you BUY a car while a CO resident. There is also an Owners Tax and a Registration fee, but these are not as high (and both come down quickly with age). On my wife's Jeep that had a new taxable value of ~$30K the Owners tax went something like $500 for the first year, then $192 for the next year, then $137 each for the next two years, etc.. The Registration fee was $54 for the first year and then also comes down with age.
    When I bought my '91 TR in 2000 the CO sales tax was the 7~8% (ouch!), but the combined Owners Tax and Registration was only $35 per year. If you're just bringing in a car that you already own, I believe you'll only have to pay the Owners Tax and registration fee.

6. Scott_in_Houston

Dec 17, 2003
    Housotn, Texas
    Thanks for all the great info guys!

I found this site that helped, and I think you're right about the owners fee for bringing into the state...

http://www.denvergov.org/MotorVehicle/template14635.asp

7. yookdan

yookdan Rookie

Jan 14, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Robert Stevens
    the cost for tags on a car here is high if the vehicle is NEW - not expensive - i.e. my X5 was somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 first year for tags, but my 1993 Speciale was $48 - what do you have in the garage, btw??

R

8. Scott_in_Houston

Dec 17, 2003
    Housotn, Texas
    I have a Porsche 996 Turbo, and a couple of cars not worth mentioning, and am seriously considering a 355 Spider if I move. The weather here in Houston sucks too much for me to want one, but if I move, I'll want one for those summers for sure!

Thanks for all the help.

9. yookdan

yookdan Rookie

Jan 14, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Robert Stevens
    If you are looking at that you will not be hit too badly on the cost of tags. It is based on the new price, and gets discounted every year (up to ten years) - so you should be fine. Where you get killed is a new (or one year old) F car - my SL Benz was $2500 (new car) but about $800 or so after a year or two.

I am picking some of these numbers out of the air, you would be best served talking to someone at Ferrari of Denver for more specifics.

If you get to town drop me a line and we'll go for a drive!

Rob