Everyone should own a black car, at least once. | FerrariChat

Everyone should own a black car, at least once.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, Oct 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Can you guess why?

Wes

2. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Duh! Do tell us- I love guessing games!

3. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Black car needs to be cleaned constantly to appear good. If you drive other colors, you'll appreciate how less of cleaning/washing it requires.

4. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Because they're a pain in the ass to keep clean and dust/lint/dirt free? Because they absorb the sun's rays more, and will be hotter in the summer (or anytime you have daylight)? Because the interiors dry out faster? Because its more difficult for other people to see you in low-light conditions?

Oh, and did I mention that Black is DEAD-SEXY?

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #5 tbakowsky, Oct 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The only black car I've owned was a BMW 633 CSI. All I can say is I learned about the proper techniques of automotive deatiling.

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    It needs black rims and black out the front emblem too.

8. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I few years back I had a triple black Porsche 911, I always said that the only time it wasn't getting dirty was when I was getting water in my shoes washing the thing.

Black cars are so much more work, but when they're clean they look better than any other color.

9. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    Ditto. :D Been there, done that, once was enough!

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Im done witcha!

DL

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That's just mean. I owned a black 328GTS and swore I would never own another black car. I now have a black M5 as my daily driver and again swear I will never own another black car...I really mean it this time too!

12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

My guess, because, black is beautiful. Right on, groovy, cool. Yep my 1985 black Firebird looks great when washed and waxed, too bad it's been over a year since that happened and its been outside.

13. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Well this is why:

When I was planning to get my black 328 I knew it was going to be more work, but I thought I'd handle the dust issue with the ol' California Duster. When I read about what it would do to that perfect black shine, and even saw for myself when I tested it, it was clear that I could not use it on black or I would have swirl marks to 'beat the band'.

Even using the (bath)towels I used on my other cars (which I thought had a good shine) was not going to work out and I had to (gleefully) switch to microfibre towels was a discovery for me.

Trying various waxes on black also revealed which was best, knowledge I can take to other colors now.

After all is said and done, be it towel dropplets or streaks, black shows you exactly what your're doing to your paint. If I had a white or red car imagine the degradation I would have subjected my car to. And what if that was a Ferrari? It wouldn't catch up to me that fast, but I know now so much more about paint care that yes, I am the resident expert now.

So in summary, owning a black car will teach you things you can take to whatever car you own, and will help you maintain whatever color much better.

Who knew?

Best!
    Wes

14. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
  15. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    #15 The Mad Hatter, Oct 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Like EVERY week...I spend more time washing my ride than driving it :D (just kidding of course). It does get dirty FAST though...

Cheers,
    Travis
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon

So True!!!!!

The next time you wax it, do it under a very bright fluorescent light and you will learn even more.
    Black is definitely beautiful but it is a lot of work.

17. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.

Exactly.

Owners or silver and white cars trying to educate the masses on detailing have not seen the pain caused by their efforts.

Black also reveals a horrific quality detail shop. After the carnuba evaporates off, the even circular swirls of the machine buffer come through exposing the fact that the detailer 'burned' a little too much on the surface and/or used the wrong buffing bonnet to apply the product.

If you can master black, you can rejouvinate most any car surface to the deepest gloss possible.

18. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Did mine in 1979 - triple black 1970 Thunderbird - serious pimpin'. World-class PITA to keep clean and bloody HUGE!!

Curved back seat, though, with plenty of room.

Cheers
    Kevin

19. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Black cars just look so brutal...and stealthy. I will always own at least one black car for the rest of my life.

20. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    We had a black 2001 VW Beetle for 1 1/2 years--my first and last black car; I dont need to elaborate.

The college age girl who bought it from us wanted only one color: black, and it was an instant sale. A relative was buying his HS senior daughter a used SUV about the same time and she only wanted black.

I would have taken black on my Ferrari--turquoise would have been OK as long as everything else was good. I ended up with silver and bland as it is it's very easy to maintain.

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Even though i already have that picture, my knees got weak (and i'm sitting!) when i saw it, 'cause i wasn't expecting it... Thank you for posting it... :)

22. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Detailing the Beast

Reflection off the trunk lid of a Ebony XJR owned by a friend I put 11 hours into to restore a couple months ago.

Recent beauty shot of my hood on my Anthracite XJ6.

Two older hood shots of my Anthracite XJ6 a year and a half ago.

Its daily driven (112k miles, 7+ years old.. suck on that Jimmy!). Its wiped down as much as it needs it. Its cared for lovingly. Its covered daily. Its babied endlessly. Its so much work.

Its soooo damn worth it.

Ryan, David, Ron.. I haven't forgot about you. I'm just so burnt from work and when weekends roll around, well you know. I'm either working, detailing my car, or tiring from the g/f ;). I want to do it, but you have to make me do it.

Sunny

23. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Rock on brotha! :D

No sweat. I have Oct 28-Nov 1st avail, or the Thanksgiving weekend.

24. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Oh, COME ON ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DL

ps. who loves ya?

25. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mrs. Darth. :)