Help me decide on a Ferrari or not. | FerrariChat

Help me decide on a Ferrari or not.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by cmb, Oct 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cmb

cmb Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    Toronto
    Hello ladies and gents. I could really use your helpful insight.

I am currently in a mental dilemma.
    I have long wanted to join the ranks of the prancing horse, but only recently seriously considered it.
    My dilemma is finanacially related in a way.
    I am interested in a used 360 Modena, either coupe or spyder, F1 tranny.
    You see, in order to pass the purchase of a Ferrari through my wife, I would need to sell my current cars: an E46 M3 and an NSX.
    I would still have a daily driver and track car: a 2002 SiR, and a del sol. (both lil' Hondas)
    and..my guess is she'd even try to throw the track car out with the others.

When I was younger I always wanted an M3 and NSX, but all the while Ferrari was always the far off dream.

My NSX is bulletproof, and the M3 is still under factory warranty. Both cars are very much trouble-free.

Do you guys think it would be a good decision to try a Ferrari out of warranty? I don't need any outrageously high surprise maintenance issues to deal with as I am pretty much 1/2 retired now and have a young family to support. (just had my first kid)

I can't shake the idea of driving a nice 360 out of my head, and it taunts me in my dreams.... LOL!!

Help me RHONDA! Help me get her outta my head! ;)

Thanks guys.

2. F430xxx

F430xxx Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2004
    You my friend WILL own a 360. You're already envisioning it in your mind so cut to the chase and buy one. The 2 year warrant I think is a joke. Simply do a intense front end screen and you should be fine if the car checks out. I lucked out. I bought my over the internet with only seeing a few photos however the broker was reputatable and I got myself a cherry.

David K

3. tsang85

tsang85 Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    Vancouver
    however, do be prepared for the 20k tuneup

4. Titanboy_24

Titanboy_24 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas Scarfone
    I think the last word is supposed to be "mind" lol ;)! Good luck with your decision, you already have 2 great cars so an F-car will be the next rung up on the ladder!

5. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'd say go for it. You have experienced M3 ownership, NSX ownership, now its time for you to experience Ferrari ownership. I would say DO it.

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Dear freind, as a long time sport car owner, I have owned a few Pcars but wanted an fcar. I to have heard of stories which shied me away. After careful thought I made the jump into and 86TR 5 years ago. The fcar experience is second to none. Yes, there are faster cars, yes there are cheaper to maintain cars....but nothing gives me such a smile as my 12 does.As for costs, it is abit more expensive to maintainthan others. Put aside about 3-5k per year for regular maintaince and your majors. If this sounds to expensive then you may wish to hold off, or look into a 355 to help with the long term expenses. Either way, you should buy what you like and really should not look at the costs as carefully. If you do, you will never buy. Wish I bought sooner. Good luck in your find !!

7. justsick

justsick Rookie

Oct 2, 2004
    missauga/brampton
    cmb "mental dilemma" as in,I don't care how much it costs,I MUST have one in my garage.You're already in the Ferrari mental state.As a future Ferrari junky,{if you are looking that this site,you're already done for }once your behind the wheel of an exotic like a Ferrari, there's no turning back!

P.S. good luck,justsick,like an '87 TR

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

You'll always have that mental dilemma if you don't do it.

9. cmb

cmb Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    Toronto
    thanks big time guys for the help.
    helping me delve further into F-madness....

i have already begun the search for the 360 that might be mine.
    (anyone aware of any good deals for 360's in Toronto, that would be great)

now just to sell off the NSX and M3. (anyone interested?)

here's a pic of them: [​IMG]

10. MuJo

MuJo Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Joel R.
    Think it might be tough to find a white 360. :D

11. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As someone who owned a 95 NSX for six years and a 02 M3 for 2 years (both cars that I loved, particularly the NSX), they pale in comparison to my Modena. Go for it; you won't regret it. Every drive is an event.

12. coincopy

coincopy Karting

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey cmb please contact me at [email protected], i may be interested in your m3. Im from Vancouver

13. Execproducer

Execproducer Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    South OC
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Actually, there's currently a white 1999 Modena 6-speed coupe for sale on www.ferrariads.com!

14. cmb

cmb Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    Toronto
    thanks for the interest. but, as soon as i started to look into selling them, i had quite a few buyers and they are pretty much sold as of now. (just working out some details).

if all goes well...i should get RHONDA sometime this week. :)

15. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Thats one sweet NSX, 1 of the nicest ivfe ever seen, but go for the fcar if that what you desire ;)

16. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Cmb, like white much??? lol, aside from that, your NSX has to be one of the nicest i've ever seen, any more pics??

17. cmb

cmb Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    Toronto
    thanks for the compliments.

nsx is a great car. it's no ferrari, but it was bulletproof, easy to drive day to day, and fairly quick. handling and balance was exceptional. power was smooth.

here's a couple more shots of her:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Carrera_gtcrazy

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Damns thats one sexycar :D

19. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    you definitely need a RED car!

20. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    The NSX is gorgeous...but I have to agree with the rest of the F-car owners here...there's nothing like a Ferrari...any ferrari.

I would caution you that normal maintenance for an Fcar seems a bit more expensive than something like an M3 or NSX. I've had neither, but have had some other Japanese stuff like RX7s and Stealths....those ones are pretty bulletproof too. It was until I moved to the Lotus and 911's that you just start getting used to $2-3K every year for normal stuff. Even purchasing a set of tires are $2-3K. You just get used to it....now the F-car seems to take $3-5K/year.
    So I would just get ready for that type of maintenance...it's just normal stuff. I'm guessing your M3 and NSX take about $1000-1500/year in maintenance...so a 360....would probably run you 3 to 4 times that (but I'm no expert). I'd prep your wife about that...else your dream car could turn out to be a nightmare for you...just because you didn't expect it.

One last thing to add, I have an Alfa Romeo...I had to park it now because it costed me $5K/year to run....It was an older 74 GTV...so maybe that was it. If you want to prep your wife for maintenance...get one of those for a year...and she'll think the Ferrari is bullet-proof!!!!

21. Carrera_gtcrazy

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Go for it, Steve Maman is selling a Black 360 spyder for $279,000 canadien. if u want you could check it out here www.exoticaronline.com , go for it, there beautiful cars. :)

22. chevalcabre

chevalcabre Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Steve Maman
    with the usd $ going down, my cost is going down as well....i will change some prices monday on the site.... car will be cheaper.

23. chevalcabre

chevalcabre Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Steve Maman
    any car other than a used ferrari depreciates....buy a tr or a 328 or even a 308,they are cash in the bank.value is safe. nsx will lose 5-10 k a year depending on the year the car is.much harder to sell or to upgrade.

24. Carrera_gtcrazy

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Like steve said, go for any used ferrari, Personally i would take a Testerossa over the 360, just love the sound of the Flat12 over a V8. and im sure you could fine a Testerossa much cheaper... And im my opinoin the Testerossa is a pretties car, it just flows....

25. cmb

cmb Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    Toronto
    i agree.
    i do have a little red daily driver which i picked up this year:
    [​IMG]