A Few Questions About Life in Oz | Page 3 | FerrariChat

A Few Questions About Life in Oz

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ryalex, Jan 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    And I bet at least 3/4 of those are in Melbourne, Sydney and various coastal areas of Queensland.

2. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Probably - at least 3/4 of the population lives there!

3. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Well, lets see:

Total Australian population: 20,000,000

Sydney:4,040,820

Melbourne: 3,521,957

Brisbane: 1,601,417

Gold Coast: 418,438

Total: 9,582,632

Percentage of total Australian population: 9,582,632 / 20,000,000 = 47.9%

If you factor in other small wealthy communities such as Noosa which would likely have a higher than average number of Ferraris, the final number probably sits somewhere around 50 - 55%.

4. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    OR
    NSW 6,671,426
    Vic 4,902,920
    QLD 3,750,743

TOTAL OZ 19,786,570
    (Source ABS 2002)
    % East Coast 77.45%

5. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Yes but don't forget most of the exotics will only be in the major population centres and holiday hotspots.

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

WOW,
    That summory by jmillard is too freaking much!!!
    Any body want to hear about Montana?
    Ever been to Butte?
    Bill

7. Sin

Sin Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
  8. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Bill
    Tell us all about it - isn't Montana cowboy country?
    John

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Cowboy country, you mean ****** country.

99% of people in Montana that say they are Cowboys, are nothing more than
    Jackasses. They think a big hat and a pair of boots gives them a liscence for stupidity. We once had the distinction of being the largest per capita consumer of Raineer Beer, and Copenhagen Chew simultaniously!

But lets talk about Butte Montana, the largest crap hole on earth, and a mere 65 miles away from my home. We all know Butte's most famous resident, Evil Knevel, the notorious thrill seeker.
    The local Butte TV station has an advertisement during the evening news touting the "Fine Dinning" in downtown Butte. Some of the excellant restaurants of mention are Taco Johns, Pork Chop Johns, and my favorite, a little place called the Gardens. This quaint little eating establishment is an old Texaco service station. All they have done is remove the gass pumps and changed the sign. In the summer months they open up the service bay doors to the great out doors, and you can enjoy your fine dinning sitting at a picnic table in the service area!

Butte Montana is one of the ugliest and most trashed out areas that exists on the planet as we know it. The landscape is covered with old Mine Shafts, and Ore Dumps. Every once in a while someone very drunk ( most people in Butte are drunk all the time ) stumbles into a mine shaft as they walk home from the bar, and either dies or has to be rescued. They usually walk home after drinking, because it is so freaking cold in Butte ( the armpit of America ) that no car will start.

And speaking of Pits, Butte is the home to the greatest envioronmental disaster in our country, the great Berkley Pit.
    Here is a great big hole miles deep dug by the Almighty, can do no wrong Anaconda Copper Co.
    After stripping the area of Billions in copper, they packed up and left the country.
    There were no cleanup funds available, and it wouldn't make any difference anyway as the contamination from the ore has left every waterway in the area dead of any and all life. Now a Superfund site, the area is still a mess and there will never be a living thing in Silver Bow Creek.

The water is so contaminated that it cannot be drank, and an expensive water treatment plant was built in an effort to provide safe drinking water. I do not know if it worked.
    Now the water level in the Pit has risen to the rim, and is so dangerous that a few years ago a flock of Snow Geese accidentaly landed in the Pit. The poor bastards were so tired they just couldn't fly any longer. All 30 some of them died within a couple of minutes!

The natives refer to Butte as Butte America, and like to kick the crap out of anybody that makes fun of them! My life may be in danger!!!
    Anyway, I love Butte Montana ( in my rear view mirror )

10. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Sounds delightful - can you send me details of their immigration program? :)

Dumb question - why do you live there? Are you a closet line dancer? :)

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Now wait a freeking minute here. I DO NOT LIVE IN BUTTE MONTANA, the greatest hell hole on earth. I live in a beautiful Montana major city that just happens to be only 65 miles from this hell on earth.
    I may have have to let these very drunk Butte natives know who you are, and where you can be found. But now that I think about it, nobody in Butte would have any idea where Oz is. They're too busy sniffing glue and bragging about what a great place Butte America is, and if you don't like it how badly they will kick your ass.
    Immigration isn't difficult, If you drink Bud Light your in!
    Ok what in the hell is a closet line dancer. I have a feeling these are fighting words

12. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Let's me out - don't drink light beer - dammit!
    Guess you must live in Helena then? - birthplace of Gary Cooper & Myrna Loy
    Here's the logo for the Helena Linedancers :)

13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I am in Helena, and I actually own property on the old Gary Cooper ranch in the Dearborn area. And you are also right about Myrna Loy.
    As far as line dancing goes, I really have no experience with that rather strange cowboy ritual.
    How is it that you know so much about Montana. You wouldn't be a closet cowboy would you?

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    dear mr Glassman, you have picked Mr Millard in one !! :)

he is a closet cowboy amongst other versions of the "closet" and is from our wild west so would fit right in with the great unwashed of Butte :)

I'v been to Montana twice over 20 years ago and quite liked the cool clean air, does it still exist ?

I read your story on the Silver Bow disaster with disbelief this could happen in a litigous society such as the US :(

Looking forward to catching up with some of you characters in Monterey as Mr Millard and I are coming over for the show :)

Ciao

John

15. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Bill
    Ignore anything Moretti says - he's from Queensland, and we all know what they are! :) :)

"And there's Queensland. While any mention of God seems silly in a document defining a nation of half arsed sceptics, it is worth noting that God probably made Queensland, as its beautiful one day and perfect the next. Why he filled it with dickheads remains a mystery."

16. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    cheeky git :)

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Monterey is a yearly pilgramege for me and probably will be for the rest of my life. Hope to meet as many enthusiasts there as I can.
    Bill

18. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    ah, autumn is here, 25 degrees and patchy cloud and even some rain, woohoo.

makes me think i could almost survive here another year. :D

19. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    You Aussies should be embarrassed.

When the man asked about "Life in Oz" he was obviously asking "are the women sexy, and which are the best lines to use on those 'sheilas'?" Duh!

See, I know Australian- I watch Croc Dundee! ;)

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    LOL. I got me a sheila :). But this thread's honest info quickly quashed my fleeting fantasy of moving to Australia... I'll just vacation there instead!

21. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    OK guys, we can back off now - he's not coming :)

22. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    Ryan,

I didn't read the entire thread above, as I am "law monger" working way too much. You may know about the Oz immigration points system where you get some bonus points for having worked 3 years or more in the legal field, virtually guaranteeing you work authorization. Also, you may have heard of the QLTT, the Qualified Lawyer's Transfer Test, which may be of interest for you if you want to practice in Oz, or elsewhere in the former British Empire.

23. kenjulco

kenjulco Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    has anyone bought a ferrari from western aust.?Were there any problems?
    Ken

24. ASIO

ASIO Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2006
    Why? i like the fact you can carry a handgun on your person as long as its concealed.

Bet you don't get any agro if a DesertEagle is in your holster!!

Could be a issue for me:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/faq.htm

"A number of factors may disqualify you from obtaining a license, such as: felony convictions and some misdemeanor convictions, including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication, pending criminal charges chemical or alcohol dependency, *******certain types of psychological diagnoses****** lol

USA really is the Land-Of-The-Free, we live in a police/nanny-state here in Oz!

Ciao

M

25. laminator

laminator Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2007
    WTF?

This thread is almost 4 years old. I think the thread starter has probably made up their minds by now. :rolleyes:

:(