355 Question | FerrariChat

355 Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by Sohail, Oct 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sohail

Sohail Karting

Oct 6, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Sohail
    Hello guys i just got my 1995 355 Berlinetta. Its beautiful. I just wanted to know where can i read up more about the valve guide and educate my self. What to look for and what not to do. Also some information on the clutch. I am a first time ferrari owner and would appreciate any leads. Having scratches and rock chip on the front hood ( about 6-7 of them) is normal for a 1995?. Everything is in very good condition otherwise.

Thanks

2. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Congrats. Nice car. Use the SEARCH function on the top right. Type in "355 valve guides" and it should return some threads that have addressed this topic. Good luck!

3. Looks good, Neads a good interior detail. I would get new mats OEM Black carpets without the horse's and overall clean and conditon the leather or just give it away to get professionally detailed. Carpets extracted, leather cleaned and conditoned on seats dash and doors.

4. sirbob

sirbob Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    South Orange County
    Full Name:
    Jim

Do you have a part number for the factory floor mats? I went to Ferrari of OC and they told me that Ferrari did not make a factory floor mat for 355?????

Thanks

5. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    I have a similarly aged F355 GTS. The stone chips sound right, the paint is pretty fragile. It just means that the car has been driven (which in my book is a positive) and not resprayed.

6. alohamickey

alohamickey Karting

Sep 23, 2004
    San Clemente CA
    Full Name:
    Mickey
    Congrats on your new 355, did you have a leak test performed b4 you purchased it?

I too am in South OC. Do you ever get to Crystal Cove?

Here's a good place to get Floor mats

www.RandS.net

7. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
  8. Sohail

Sohail Karting

Oct 6, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Sohail
    JON: Thank you so much for that link. Now im a little calm about my 1995 and feel a lil more relaxed while driving it. Before every time i drove i felt like i was messing something up. Even a little bit on cooling noise from the back would freak me out. LOL. I did get the compression test done on the engine and a buyers check out. The test came out perfect along and the only thing that the mechanic came up with was replacing the timming belt. The car is at Ferrari of atlanta getting the new timming belts. Cost about $2900 for the belts with other misc belts. I think good deal. Im excited now and waiting for the car to be back.

Thanks all

9. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Sohail...

Chips are normal on spoiler and front part of hood due to low height and aero's... I went with a 3m clear bra... If you do concours it will cost you 1/2 point.

Mats - No longer available from Ferrari. I had Collins mats made and threw away the originals (doh). Lost points at concours, not knowing better. Anyway, found originals on FerrariAds posted here. Look for someone parting out a 355 or check ebay.

Valves - a leak down woud detect valve guide issues. However, if your car had a problem it would have surfaced by now. Don't worry about it.

10. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Sohail,

I saw your car listed on Ferrari Ads, are you selling it already?

11. Sohail

Sohail Karting

Oct 6, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Sohail
    Yes i have decided to sell the car already. What a shame. I was orignally in the market for a Lotus Esprit. Wanted to upgrade from my 1995 to a 2000 or 2001 then i ran into a friend of mine (dealer) selling this 355 which i paid 66500 + shipping. I knew i needed to put new belts but now i have a bill of $5800 from Ferrai of atlanta and they are not done yet. I have done every thing they told me to get done. Serives like fixing the CV boot, Shift shat seal, Belt, belt tensioner and bearings. I think cam gasket was leaking so they changed the seals and the cover. All this is costing me 5800 approx. give or take couple of hundred dollars more. Im just paranoid that i will mess something up and end up paying a lot more in services. Leak down test came out ok. I think i am more better off with my orignal plan which was a Lotus. much cheaper to maintain.

Thanks

Sohail

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    :(

13. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Sounds like the Service Guys at FOA are a bunch of Jokers. I knew right away you wouldn't get out of there with the Belt Service for $2,800. The 30k service runs about $5k but its once every 5 years. CV boots are common for these cars after time as they are for other Ferraris. Try to enjoy the car for a bit. Either way good luck to you.

14. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Once every 5 years? My dealer here in Singapore says it once every 3 years.
    What is the offical time frame?

15. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    After that service, you will be home free for years to come ,,keep the 355 use it,, drive it ,and don't worry about breaking it ,enjoy it .if you sell it the next guy will!!!!!
    DAVID

16. PM 355B on the board he has really nice OEM mats or looking mats they have no graphics on them and match the texture and color of the carpet perfectly.

(Link To PM)
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=4150

17. Sohail

Sohail Karting

Oct 6, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Sohail
    Hey guys i was considering a 348ts may be i can drive the 355 until i can sell it and later buy a 348Ts. Does it cost less to maintain vs. a 355 or does a 348 has another whole world of its own weak points. Please advise

Sohail

18. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    I've owned both and would say that the 355 is superior. I loved the 348 for the stiff suspension and steering but the 355 is faster, more reliable and user friendly. Both are fun to drive but I think the 355 is much more car for the money. I plan to keep mine for some time. Enjoy it, don't sell it out of concern for upkeep. The 348 may cost you more.

19. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    Sohail, you would be mad to sell your 355. You have just completed the hard part and now you have come to the easy part...just driving it. They can be demanding mistresses but when time (and money) have been invested in them the return on the investment is tenfold in enjoyment. You are taking the pain and handing the enjoyment to the next guy.

20. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    I've just moved up from rookie to Karting...do I win a prize?

21. Sohail

Sohail Karting

Oct 6, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Sohail
    Thank you guys for taking the time and answering my questions if it wasnt for you guys i would have sold my car for even 4-5K less then what i paid. But more i talk to people and more i read up on the 355's i think im done with paying for services for a while atleast, might as well enjoy the car. People are crazy trying to scare me so i would sell them my car for 60K but i think im gonna get another leak down test done this saturday and take the online add off and keep the car. Will the leak down and compression test tell me if i have any valve guide issues coming up and what percentage leakage is considered normal?

Again thanks for all your input and help.

Sohail

22. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    PM me.

23. sirbob

sirbob Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    South Orange County
    Full Name:
    Jim

Thanks for the reply...forgot where I posted the ?...just came accross again.

Thanks Again