On my way to Crystal Cove, my car broke down! | FerrariChat

On my way to Crystal Cove, my car broke down!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by alohamickey, Oct 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alohamickey

alohamickey Karting

Sep 23, 2004
    San Clemente CA
    Full Name:
    Mickey
    Double Bummer, I missed CC and the car is on the tow truck now.

I have some ideas, but would like some help.

The Mondial QV has slowly become harder to start (cold and hot) I ran down to get a drink this am on the way to CC and when I returned to start it, it turned over, started for a few seconds but failed to stay running... So the car was far from hot. I just bought this car and it has been driven very little the last few years. It had a Major everything about 3 years ago. It started perfect for a few weeks and then this happens.

What do you guys think I should check first?

I am hoping its simple and cheap....ok just simple would be good.

2. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Check out battery and charging circuit first.

Can you start the car with a battery from a second car?

If so, measure the voltage across the battery posts. Should be 13-14.5 (varies from model to model...others can give you a better number). If that number is good, then the battery isn't holding a charge...easy fix. If the number is not in that range, then it's likely the alternator and/or voltage regulator.

If you can't start the car from a second battery, then the above isn't much help...

Good luck!

3. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Check everything between the coils and spark plugs...or its a clogged fuel line/filter, due to sitting a long time.

4. alohamickey

alohamickey Karting

Sep 23, 2004
    San Clemente CA
    Full Name:
    Mickey
    Good question, I thought it was fuel related since the engine was cranking, So the tow driver and I never thought of jumping the car. I will check that first on Monday when I get to the car and tester. I sure hope thats it.
    The battery...

Anyone thinnk its fuel related?

5. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    if it just cranks it very well could just be the fuel pump.
    Erik

6. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    you can check to see if the plugs are getting spark also, if they are not, it could be an electrical problem. it may be the rotor or distributer, I have that problem with my old truck. there were at least 3 mondials at cc today, almost got to meet you. good luck.

7. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    This sounds exactly like the problem I had with my car about 4 months ago, it was the fuel pump all right. Stopped working because it got filled up with black gunk from old fuel hoses. Got hoses and fuel pump replaced and gas tank cleaned. No problems since.

8. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    This does sound like a fuel problem... Is the filter easilly accesible?

9. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    MTBE has been known to eat up fuel lines.

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Two things to check. Either order - spark and fuel. Sounds like a easy fix, just isolate which is the root cause, as to not go through the replacing parts guessing game - which gets might pricey on these babies. Good luck.

11. ferrari fernatic

BANNED

Apr 12, 2004
    london
    Full Name:
    Fawad
    If you want help there's a member named 'adnaan' the same thing happened to his mondial ask him what he did.
    Good luck