How do you document servicing you do yourself? | FerrariChat

How do you document servicing you do yourself?

Discussion in '308/328' started by gdbsti, Oct 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gdbsti

gdbsti Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hi again all,

I've got another questions for the experienced fcar people!

I'm (still) on the lookout for a carbed 308. I've seen a few with "various" miles on them, and service histories.

Now, I know a lot of you guys work on your own cars, from minor to major services. How do you document the service work you do?
    The reason I ask, is a large part of the value in these cars is in the service history. Does servicing your own car dimish the value of the car since it doesn't have a Ferrari dealer stamp on the receipt? What do you do to verify the work carried out was by a qualified service person?

Any thoughts and input is greatly appreciated!
    Cheers!

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I document each procedure I perform with a digital camera.
    That way I have a before, each step of disassembly,
    each step of reassembly, and after pictures.
    Along with any new parts that might have been installed, I keep receipts.
    There are those folks out there that are snoots when it comes to Ferrari service history, that will only accept a car that has been dealer serviced.
    But most of those people have no clue how to inspect a car,
    and rely on a piece of paper with a Ferrari stamp rather than a PPI.

3. gdbsti

gdbsti Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Thanks Dave,

I intend on performing all the servicing of my 308 (when i get it) too, as I am in the industry and have a fully equipped shop. I will do the digital camera before and after shots too.

I was really curious if anybody has noted a particular drop off in sales interest when selling owner-serviced cars.

Br

4. marks308GTB

marks308GTB Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Los Altos Hills, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark S.
    I am doing some of the service work on my carbed 308. Frankly, I never even thought of documenting it other than keeping all of the receipts for parts.

I have restored Corvettes and did the same. Kept the receipts and supplied them when selling the car. Never had any question or interest in documentaion other than the parts receipts or other shop receipts.

I recognize that the Ferrari market place is very different than Corvettes. Also, I have found that working on the Ferrari takes a bit of extra finesse compared to the Corvette (and a whole lot more $ for parts).

Mark

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Here is how you document your service yourself:

1. Buy a Big Chief tablet and 2 pens (one for back-up)
    2. Write whatever the heck you do to your car down on the Big Chief with one of the pens.
    3. Make sure you write good enough so that some other jerk can read your writing.
    4. Get three witnesses to attest to your work. You will do this by jacking up your car and allowing each witness to ride on your creeper underneath. Just make sure that, before they crawl under the car, you empty out ALL of the engine/tranny fluids, or your witnesses will be pissed.
    5. Make sure you tell the witnesses EXACTLY what you did so that each of them can check it out for themselves. For example, your witnesses may want to do a DNA sample on your new engine oil to make sure it's AGIP and not some crap you bought at Wal-Mart where you bought the Big Chief. Things from Wal-Mart that are put on/in a Ferrari cost about 10% on your resale value.
    6. Have each witness sign the Big Chief with a drop of blood so that everything can be tied back and verified when your prospective buyer looks at the Big Chief.
    7. Store the Big Chief some where safe. NOT in your 308 - the Big Chief tablet WILL EVENTUALLY get burned up this way...along with your car. When your car looks like it's been in a toaster oven for 3 hours, at least you will still have the Big Chief to verify the service work.

I hope this helps.

6. gdbsti

gdbsti Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Your input will get it's due consideration....

7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere

Hey Bruce, I was only joking. After you've been on the board 2 or 3 years and you see the same questions come up over and over again (albeit very good questions!), you kind of become a cynic on occasions.

8. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Will the resale value decrease if the owner maintains their car? I'm sure it will depend on the quality of their work. Most prospective buyers will order a PPI when you sell it and the end result will show whether it's good or bad. I have done all my own work on my 308 since 98' and will now be maintaining my Boxer as well.

Here's what I do:
    Make a spread sheet. I use MS Excel. The cells can be configured to include the date, mileage, service performed and what was replaced with the part number. Print out updated paper copies for a notebook or burn to a CD. Keep your receipts in order for whatever you purchase. For oil changes, I staple the new filter's box top to the receipt along with the oil purchase. For a 30k, all part receipts for that service are stapled together. Make sure any receipts clearly shows what was replaced. Tag the old part with it's replacement date . I have a couple of Rubbermaid tubs filled with tagged parts that I have replaced over the years.
    If the above is not good enough for a prospective future buyer, then tell him to move on. He doesn't deserve to own your car.
    Dave

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I write it all down in a little black book, mostly for my own benefit. In detail and with accuracy. If and when I sell the car the final price will depend on the PPI and evaluation of the car as a whole. That is how I bought mine, based on THE CONDITION OF THE CAR with verification of the alledged parts and services performed last.

Receipts can be manufactured and service books can be short stamped. Odometers can be disconnected.

Unless the car is of significant importance or zero mileage garage queen I wouldn't sweat doing your own work unless you are unqualified to do so.

10. gdbsti

gdbsti Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hey guys,

Naturally the overall condition of the car is the commanding factor in value (aside of mileage) rather than dealership reciepts v. owner servicing. I would have thought owner servicing would have had more impact on re-sale price.

Thanks for the comments, Good stuff!

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I think in general, dealer servicing does help the resale of the car. When looking at a 25 year old GT4 or 308 it's kind of a moot point though.