Product report: Innovate Motorsports LM-1 A/F meter | FerrariChat

Product report: Innovate Motorsports LM-1 A/F meter

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by snj5, Oct 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Just a quick note as I took the plunge and got a wide-band O2 A/F meter. Chose the Inovate LM-1 from Pelican Parts over the Weber Alpha system from Pierce (who get $$$ from me already) as it was a bit less expensive and had a digital readout and computer interface the Alpha did not.

Pelican Parts is pretty hyper-efficient and even does order tracking for you, even though they drop shipped from Innovate (and were $10 less than the Innovate Website's price). They also made me a deal on the classic Momo Prototipo with silver spokes and I couldn't resist... It looks extremely classic Ferrari and feels terrific.

Nice instrument. Need a 12v source and comes with cig lighter plug, so some Ferrari guys will need a work-around.I use an old separate car battery I bought for $3 at the local Chevron as you need some amperage to run the probe heater. Comes with everything needed to measure A/F's - has other inputs for extra cost accessories such as rpm, etc.

So far pretty good, except it's made me a bit more obsessive (if that was possible) about my carb settings.

No affiliation, etc.,..
    HTH
    best
    rt

2. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Russ,

I purchased one of these and had bungs welded into the new flowmaster set up on my 77 GTB.
    The car has spent about 9 weeks getting smogged, so I haven't had a chance to run the meter but am looking forward to some digital "help" in getting it to run right - long story.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

I concur, great service from Pelican.

keep us posted.
    chris

3. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    The nice thing about the LM-1, is that it is the only AFR meter with an analog output fast enough that you can see the AFR change on each cylinder at idle. Makes adjusting the idle mixture MUCH easier. Its also fast enough to actually see the effect of the accellerator pump in the log files.

To do the idle mixture per cylinder thing, you need an oscilloscope. Even the cheap USB PC scopes should work.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Interesting comment about the oscilloscope. Would love some more details.

I actually was going to fabricate a little flow through adaptor to hook the LM-1 up to the separate exhaust sample ports.

Right now with .50 idles and all of the mixture screws at about 1.5 turns, my idle A/F is mid 13's.
    It also picked up a fuel starvation problem today which I think is going to be a fuel delivery line problem or kink - pretty cool.

More as it develops
    best
    rt