Microphone recommendation to record tubi | FerrariChat

Microphone recommendation to record tubi

Discussion in 'Technology' started by GregD, Oct 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    When I first had my tubi installed, I recorded a driveby on an open street using an olympus digital dictation device and it had semi-ok sound quality. But when trying to record through tunnels etc, the sound totally overpowers the recorder.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good microphone setup I can use to make some audio clips..

Thanks

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I think it has less to do with the microphone and more to do with the recording device. I have a mini-disc recorder and a $20 mic, and I've taken pretty good up-close screaming engine-exhaust (but never in a tunnell.)

The minidisc allows you to "turn down" the mic if the sound level is overpwering it. This helps alot, but only to a certain point.

There's got to be some musicians out there?

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    I would start with a dynamic mic - say an SM-58. It's been the standard rock & roll screamers mic for years. Perfect for a Tubi drive by. If you try to do tracking shots (driving along with), wind noise becomes a huge factor.
    Good luck