bender, now car wont go. | FerrariChat

bender, now car wont go.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by markie, Oct 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markie

markie Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    Hi all.
    Can anyone help. I had a small shunt yesterday, only minor damage thankfully. The problem is the car wont start now, is there a shunt switch on these, I know i had the problem in another make and i had to have the 'shunt switch reset' Is there anything on these?

Its a mondial 3.2

Thanks guys

2. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    By "shunt", you mean accident? Where was the damage? If the 3.2 is like my '84 QV, the battery is sitting right behing the right front headlight. If you had an impact in that area, I'd check the battery, make sure that it didn't split open (if it did and it spilled acid, I'd get to work cleaning it up ASAP). Also, there is a switch there on the negative/ground lead, at least on my QV, which could have been damaged. The fuse box is in the front also, on the left side. Impact could have jarred something loose there as well. Without knowing more about what happened, it's hard to say.

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Does the car have an alarm system with a motion sensor? It may be possible that the trembler is stuck or dislodged or that the system needs to be reset. No alarm? Not the problem....

4. markie

markie Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    shunt was from behind. Woman not noticing the stop lights! so no damage to front battery ok.

5. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Any sudden jolt can jar any electrical connection loose. Go through all of the fuses/relays/ connections related to the igntion system. I would also check the tightness of he battery terminals and the battery disconnect connectors even though you were hit from behind. Does the car crank over OK or is it totally dead?

6. markie

markie Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    hi doc.

Car cranks ok but will not start. I take it there is not a impact switch ion these as no one has mentioned oit so i will have to look electrically.

7. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Markie,

There are two digiplex units in the car. Not sure with the 3.2, but in my QV, they are on the fire wall to the left of the engine. A rear impact could dislodge the connectors or one of them, or jar loose any number of other connectors back there, as Doc pointed out. You need to follow a logical progression to analyze the source of the problem.

The engine is turning over, so you have juice from the battery to the starter motor. Check to see if you are getting spark at the plugs. Easiest way to do that is to use an inductive timing light and check all 8 leads, see if they are firing. If not, work backwards from there to find the source of the problem.

If your plugs are firing (check the fit of the caps and extensions, to be sure that none jumped loose and are now grounding out), then the next thing to check is fuel. Did the impact do something to your injector system? Is the fuel pump working and delivering fuel? Any hoses crimped? Injectors firing?

Basically, you need three things for the engine to run -- fuel, air and spark. Air is usually not an issue. It usually comes down to fuel or spark. Spark is easy to check. You have it at the plugs or you don't. Fuel can be harder on an injection system, but you can check that too.

Let us know what you find.