Old Columbia River Gorge Highway | FerrariChat

Old Columbia River Gorge Highway

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Wasco, Sep 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Has anyone drove the Columbia Gorge Senic Highway from Troutdale to Mosier?

I am wondering about the walking trail part of the old Highway?

Lunch at Multhomah Falls Lodge is great. I will probly take a run up that way tomorrow, but was just wondering how many of you PDX guys have made the trip!

I like the history of Sam Hill ( of the "where in the Sam Hill" fame ), he and Lancaster had made part of the road with five windows bored through the solid rock, wish they were still there! He also constructed a replica of Stonehenge at Maryhill, WA where he is buried, just east of his mansion, now the Maryhill Museum.

2. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Axwnstrasse tunnel in Switzerland with three windows overlooking Lake Uri was the inspiration for the once 390 foot Mitchell Pt tunnel.

3. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I haven't walked it but I have driven it, I live about 50 miles from there.
    It is one of the most beautiful drives in this area. and theres a neat little
    Porsche shop in mosier right on that highway.

4. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    When I lived in Portland ('79-'90) I went that way from time to time, and still do it when we visit. My daughter is still there and my people are either in Portland or in the Yakima Valley in WA so have taken just about every different way you can go between Portland, Yakima, and the Tri-Cities.

A few years ago I saw some very early film footage that had been restored, showing the prison labor working to build the Old Highway.

Cheers
    Kevin