It's official,BMW is dead to me..... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

It's official,BMW is dead to me.....

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Dave328, Oct 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Well Chris Bangle became chief designer of BMW several years ago, and the first car produced under his influence was the new 7 series... which most people thought was hideous. Because people thought he mangled the design of BMWs, and his name rhymes with "mangle", they started saying the cars had been "Bangled" i.e. Mangled by Bangle. ;)

Hahaha! That's great! :D

2. Tom Larkins

Tom Larkins Formula Junior

He has ruined the style of the 7 and the 5 series, this is no surprise.

3. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #28 Sfumato, Oct 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We bought them because they drove great, and were low key, free of bling, 4 door sportscars. Now they're overwrought, distracting, and much less "business of driving" than they have been.
    Reliability is in toilet, buybacks on 745, 645, and 5's are widespread. We're pissed, 'cause our daily drivers are now high maintenance ugly-a$$ cars with crap resale.
    Since 94, BMW sold us: 325iC; M3 and M3/4; Mroadster;540i6, M5;Z8;750iL; and 2 Mini S. There isn't anything now in line we'd want. M3's drop motors, and new M5 (On list in 11/99 when we picked up 1st E39M5) is funny looking, albeit fast.
    Pissing off a core, habit-buying, hard-driving family like my wife and I is a much bigger mistake in exchange for short term 1-2 car buy sales, no?
    MB's don't have sticks, Jags are boring, the QP has no loaner program + typical FNA/MNA support(3 week wait for parts, etc.). So, WTF is left?
    Bangle and more importantly the BMW board are deserting their core for conquest sales. They will miss us, someday.

PS, here is spyshot of new 7 facelift
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    What he said.
    The 3 isn't too bad though, compared to what it could have been. I've ordered the M5, but won't be seen driving it. I intend on flipping it to a taste impaired enthusiast.

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You had one of those, too? I've been following several of them on eBay recently. Hard to believe that they have fallen to low teens. I might just pick up another one if I can find one that hasn't been ragged or modified...

6. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wow that 3 series sucks balls.

7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    It was my wife's, a 98. She still misses it. Conforti, x-brace, Pilots, swapped strut tower heads, etc. She and I used to hound each other in twisty bits...I had M5, would fill her mirrors sideways. What a grin.
    Amazing BMW abandoned that market too. 330i sports pkg is nice, but it isn't an M3/4.

As always, Erik, nice taste in cars...:cool:

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Mine was a '97 (black/mulberry with luxury package - the easier to clean wheels). Loved it (when it wasn't in the shop, I had a lemon). I think the fact that they abandoned that segment is proof that they would rather sell bling and trucks to soccer moms than low key sedans that would beg to be flogged to people that know how to drive. Its a shame really... :(

Lee, life is too short to drive crap!!!

9. angshuman

angshuman Rookie

Jul 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    NaN
    Ha! My thoughts exactly. I love the current 330Ci, and I think it's one of the more well-proportioned cars ever built by any manufacturer, with beautiful but understated lines. The new one's ugly AND screaming for attention with all the random edges everywhere. Bah! "Flame surfacing" they call it. I'll flame-surface Bangle's a** if I ever get the chance.

10. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    MB's don't have sticks, Jags are boring, the QP has no loaner program + typical FNA/MNA support(3 week wait for parts, etc.). So, WTF is left?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I know it may have been sacrilige(sp?) a few years ago to drive a Caddy, but I have to endorse the CTS-V. I test drove one a few weeks ago and I'm still feeling the effects. This is definitely NOT your grandparents Caddy! 400 HP, 6 speed, "14 Brembos, what more can you ask for. All for $50K! I paid $48K for my 225HP 530!!! :(

I'm very disappointed at the turn BMW has taken to say the least!

Dave

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'm suprised no one here has mentioned Audi as a qualified replacement for Dave. The S4 just won C&D's comparo of 4 door speed cars, beating the CTS-V and the E55. I'm another that hates BMW's new styling, but I like the Audi's. They're a little bland, but they're good drivers and they're not butt ugly.

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    But he did say he didn't want high maintenance and crap resale.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    ... and a car that struggles to reliably make it to its next service. My Mum works for an Audi dealer ... if you want to buy cr@p, buy an Audi!

Pete

14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You insult the TSX.

15. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I do like the 4's and 6's from Audi. However, I'm still not too sure about the new front grille treatment. Style-wise, they still blow away the new Bimmers.

Dave

16. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    That was the C55.

17. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    The new 3 series has the appearance of a half eaten lozenge. It is awful, as is the 5 series with its pinched tailights, and the 7 series with Brezhnev eybrows. The Z4 looks like performance art with hot clay and guillotine. They have lost their way, and it makes me sad.
    I might one day pick up a 2000 M5, or an older 840/850, but I am not touching the Bangelized cars.

18. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I actually dont think that the new 3 is that bad - I sorta like it..

I do agree that the 7 is bad and the 5 is not great either. Both of their predecessors were classy - too bad they messed em up.

The current 3 is great - I like my M3, reliability has been OK (not brilliant)..

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I had a time when my affinity ventured from MB to BMW, but now I find the E-class to be so gorgeous compared to the 5 series that it would take a LOT more to convince me to not take the E. If only they had a manual MB then things could be right. After all, I would buy a car like this for daily running around and freeway cruising, and have a more purpose-oriented car for my "sports" feel (ie. a Ferrari!).

20. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Sad. Not only is the exterior styling ugly, the dash looks like something from a 1980's Plymouth K-Car.

21. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I'll be the first to outright say it, without qualification, I LIKE THE STYLING. I believe that this is definitely something that is "attractive" to me now, and in time, it will grow on me to become beautiful.

That said, I do think the interior is a step backwards.