Dealer Service - Algar/FOW | FerrariChat

Dealer Service - Algar/FOW

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by NTB, Oct 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NTB

NTB Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Has anyone here used both Algar and FOW for service? I have a Stradale and will need to have it serviced this fall; looking for recommendations. I live just about the same distance from both.

Thanks,

Tom

2. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Tom,
    I don't have any personal experience w/ Algar but I do w/ FoW. I've been very pleased w/ FoW. They've serviced my 355, 550 and Stradale. I highly recommend them.

Regards,
    Chris

3. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    I too have been very satisfied with FOW. They have taken great care of my 355!

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I know you're looking for comparisons, not testimonials, but I also use FoW for my Stradale, '93 911 Cabriolet and even our '58 Vespa 400. They've also worked on our former 575 and 360 Challenge. FoW has been great to us.

Will

5. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    Did you by any chance have your Vespa at SP on the 16/17th?

6. NTB

NTB Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Testimonals are fine. I seldom have taken any car back to a dealer for service, but I may hold onto this car for some time. Thanks for the input.

Tom

7. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
  8. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Did you by any chance have your Vespa at SP on the 16/17th?"

Yes - though my wife would say it's HER Vespa.

Tom - I tend to like a regular change of automotive scenery, but also feel that the Stradale is a long-term keeper. It's just a great enthusiast's car. Good luck, hope we have an EC Stradale group photo op someday.

bluedevil - I see you were lucky enough to get a photo (#14) of one of the quite rare and extraordinarily valuable blue Stradales. Though the red Stradales are beautiful, it seems the factory installed slightly more powerful engines in, and also was able to take a wee bit extra weight out of, the blue cars. Experts predict that the "blue chip" Stradales can only appreciate ....

9. CarStore

CarStore Karting

Sep 19, 2003
    Hi Tom:

I use Algar for all my Ferrari work. As you may know I am a dealer who specializes in Ferraris. I am located just 20 miles away from them. You would think they would rough me up every time they see me but they treat me like I own the place every time I come in.
    When I get a car in I send it over there to be serviced as needed plus have them do a Pre Purchase inspection. This way when I find a buyer I can just fax them the report or have them call over to them directly. Saves the customer $200+ and gets done on my schedule.
    Try them out. I don't like making recommendations but for Algar no plrblem.
    See Mike or Mark and let them know Tom Mellett sent you.

10. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Algar has serviced my Dad's 355 for the last 2 years and we haven't had anything but great things to say about them. No major service work done yet, but for yearly maintenance they have been great.
    Erik

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Likewise, I have not used anyone but Algar on my Dino. I do not have any experience with FoW.

Tony, Algar's lead mechanic is an extemely knowledgeable guy who is willing to share anything he knows, and has serious race experience.

Mark is the service manager, and will not, in my experience, gouge you in any way.

From the owner to the car washer, the folks at Algar are top notch, friendly, and willing to go the extra mile to do what's right. I wish I got service like this at the BMW dealer.

DM.

12. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    You forgot that Ferrari only sold them to the incredibly good looking...;)

13. E-SPRIX87

E-SPRIX87 Rookie

Apr 20, 2004
    Unionville, PA
    In terms of dealer service, I have heard good things about Algar. We have two former Algar mechanics working in the independent shop I work for and the one has extensive knowledge/work experience with exotic cars. He told me he was always impressed with the amount of parts/ talent the dealership had on hand. He also said all the fun at the dealership was working in the service shop as the salesmen don't have all that much to do but sit around and maybe sell a couple cars a year. Meanwhile in the work bays there could be a Lemans racing Ferrari, to a brand new at the time 308 getting warranty work.

14. PROFORM

PROFORM Rookie

Sep 17, 2004
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Rob
    "bluedevil - I see you were lucky enough to get a photo (#14) of one of the quite rare and extraordinarily valuable blue Stradales. Though the red Stradales are beautiful, it seems the factory installed slightly more powerful engines in, and also was able to take a wee bit extra weight out of, the blue cars. Experts predict that the "blue chip" Stradales can only appreciate ....

I got to spend a couple days with Tom's car and I'm impressed!! bare bones racing tradition with the ability to drive around town.

I just was a a clients garage and he had one of the blue ones. I'll post a pic of his garage;
    Blue Stradale
    2- Z8's
    1-Alpina
    Porsche twin turbo
    Porsche C4S
    Porsche 911
    04 Viper
    M5
    M3
    Range Rover

I have done all of his cars with the exception of the Stradale as it was done at FoW before any miles put on it. I didnt know that about the engines though, very interesting.

15. NTB

NTB Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Rob,
    Don't believe all that wishful thinking regarding "blue". Take a look at the Ferrari factory race cars, testing must show that "red" is quicker/faster.
    By the way, the film looks great now that it has "dryed".
    Tom

16. PROFORM

PROFORM Rookie

Sep 17, 2004
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Great to hear, being as we apply everything wet and the pores of the film will hold residual moister, I love to hear that it all comes out smooth. I'm still hopin we can get in some riding before the weather totally goes phhht.

i'll be in Vegas next week for the SEMA show, after that we may be able to hook up, talked to the other Rob and he is all for it!!

Both of the Stradale colors are FANTASTIC! The red is miles deep as well as the Blue. I"m thinkin the new chopper i build be one of them.

Rob

17. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    WOW...what a garage!!! Do you have the picture??? Is he in the area??? Wow....

Tom-do you ever stop driving the fcars in the Winter, or do you drive throughout.

Also-does anyone know if Summit Point kinda closes down during the Winter??

Thanks,
    David