355 power loss | FerrariChat

355 power loss

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tim355, Aug 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tim355

tim355 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    I own a 1995 355 Spider. I was driving home from Seattle last night and when I went around a corner the engine suddenly lost power. After turning the car off and on a few times (still no help) I limped the car home 20 miles or so but struggled at every hill and stop sign. This morning I drove the car to town ( no issues) but in town when I started it up again I had the same problem. It's like I've lost all power on 1 bank. I have not had a "slow down" or "check engine" light come on. Any ideas what I should check for?

2. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Bad ECU, very common. Try swapping from side to side, see if the other side is afflicted. But it should light up your "Slow down" light. Hmmm....

vty,

--Dennis

3. Rjones355

Rjones355 Karting

Jul 6, 2004
    Rancho Murieta, CA
    Full Name:
    Ryan Jones
    I had a similar problem, I unpluged the fuel pump fuses and the air flow meters, and the problem went away. It has not came back as of yet, I am also confused because like you no lights came on. If you figure it out let me know.

Ryan

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Interesting that it is "intermittent", is it possible that the connectors to the ECU's need a thorough cleaning...and possibly treated with some contact enhancer like Stabilant 22? Or is intermittent operation, just the sign of a failing one?

5. tim355

tim355 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    thanks guys, I'll follow your suggestions, hope it's not an ECU. Anyone Know what they cost?

6. tim355

tim355 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Well after a lot of work I finally traced the problem down to a broken connector in the fuse box under the passengers foot rest. (relay female pin for 1-4 injectors) This seems really wierd. Car only has 26K miles on it. Has anyone else needed to replace the fuse box? Anyone out there have a part-out 1995 355 with a fuse box I can buy?? I'm sure a new one from Ferrari is very expensive.

7. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    I had a power loss from a couple of fouled spark plugs. Put a new set in and vviola! vroom vroom. About a $50 buck fix.

JD

8. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Tim

FerrariAds.com on this site. Add 2239

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Geez Tim,

I hate electronics. Can you explain to me the process you use to trace down such a problem and what are you using to do it. I need some lessons from a wizard with a VOM!