Questions about TR Purchase. | FerrariChat

Questions about TR Purchase.

Discussion in '308/328' started by s420merc, Nov 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. s420merc

s420merc Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    I am just about to finish my house over the winter and now have some spare $$$$$ to buy the Ferrari. After much thought i have decided to buy a 512 TR.
    From what i understand you the 512 TR is less problematic then the Testarossa. From what i understand the 512TR and Testarossa are cheaper to maintain and run then the 355 GTS. What should i pay for a 512TR. I saw one on the FerrariUSA web site its Blue Mettalic and Gray but the dealer is asking $99k is this very high.
    Does the 512TR have issues with the gearbox or other issues. How many 512TR's were made compared to regular Testarossa's. What were the years of production for each. If i buy a Testarossa which years are the best. Also which years are the best for the 512TR.

2. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Here's some light reading to get you started.

I have no connection to any of these sites by the way. The first one is a site run by fellow members here at F-chat. They may or may not respond as well. The other sites are those that I have bookmarked and refer to from time to time for reference materials. They should answer some of your questions about numbers made by year and model, etc.

As far as price, there are too many variables, but assuming a good PPI and reasonabile miles and "no-stories" cars, the market for original Testarossas seems to be around the 45-65 range and for 512 TRs, it seems to be in the low to mid 90s (although I haven't really priced them much lately.) $99 does seem a bit high, but might not be out of line if it's truly an exceptional car. Most of the ones I've seen seem to be about $90k or so. Getting a good PPI should go without saying because many of them suffered from maintenance neglect due to the high costs of routine service.

The 512 has a lot more of everyting compared to the "regular" Testarossa - which is no slouch by any stretch of the imagination. There's a lot of info in the archives about all the improvements in the suspension, gearing, etc. Quite a few members here have had both and can offer better comments than I can.

The Testarossa was my first Ferrari love and the first one I ever took a ride in. Good luck.

http://www.red-headed.com/index2.html

http://www.qv500.com/ferraritrmr.htm

http://www.ferrarihaven.com/road_cars.htm

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The 512's only real issue is with the gear box. From the BB up through the 512M the transmission underwent constant upgrading. Sadly that upgrading always trailed behind increases in power, torque, weight and traction. It's a great car, but if you drive it like a Hemi Charger with a Dana 60 it's going to break in a very expensive way. If on the other hand you drive it with a little understanding of that the trans will live. Side stepping the clutch is a no,no. So is any very hard use of 1st gear or brutal shifts to 2nd. Up in the higher gears you can do almost anything to it, just remember, it's not a drag car.

4. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    Funnily enough Ive just developed a problem with the gearbox/clutch on my 512TR. I can't change gear at all so the car is going for repairs. Only God knows what the bill will be.

5. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    the f512m has the latest gearbox but as for 512tr cheaper to run than a 355 dont think so but only a few hundred dollars difference on belts but they do have 12 spark plugs 355 has 8 wow

6. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Dan, is funnily really a word?? LOL!

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    (This is in no way meant as a defense of TR maintenance costs ;), but) On 355s you've got a bimodal distribution to consider -- i.e., the 355 Owner who has to pay for a top end and an exhaust system would have a very different perspective about 355 maintenance costs vs. someone not experiencing those two problems during their 355 ownership.

8. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I was faced the same decision and went for the 512 tr for many of the reasons cited on this forum - and without the benefit of the forum at that time. One thing that does not come out in some of the advice is that you should plan on buying the very best you can afford. IOW, find the best car and pay that price as it is generally less expensive in the (not so) long run. Get one where the belts are done recently and that means inside a year and if done by a dealer in 2004 it should have a FoA warranty. See and review the paperwork since new and if not available do not buy however nice it looks. Watch out for garage queens. You need evidence that it is driven regularly, which means it needs to have at least 15-20K miles on the odo. More miles are not bad if there is no evidence that abuse came with the higher usage. Of course if you dont want to drive it and just park it in your family room (some do) then this does not apply although the time may come when you need to move it and the repair work would then be quite extensive.

Lastly - just have fun, its only a car.

9. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    I think you have made a great choice in the 512TR. I agree with the idea of buy the most expensive one your wallet can handle. With a good PPI of course. As the owner of a blk/blk 512TR I can tell you that it is a great car . 80% new from an engine and chassis standpoint. The car also has immense street presence. And the view from behind is sinister. In black it has a gothic look to the design. A rare combination of elegance , sensuality and evil in design. IMO . As for the flat 12 . With a tubi exhaust there are few cars on this planet that provide you with such a rich ,visceral , even heroic sound . It,s absolutely awesome, almost surrealistic.
    Good luck and if the car does not have a Tubi system on it already ,buy one!
    Then go looking for tunnels. You will be hypnotized.
    Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
    Tuco