Service recors from the past | FerrariChat

Service recors from the past

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bob Zambelli, Nov 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I recall that, a while back, there was a discussion on service records of Ferraris being bought and sold. It led me to thinking back to the past.

In the 70s & 80s, I was involved to some degree with either the sale or purchase of the cars listed below – some were mine, some were customer’s, some were friend’s.

250 GT 2+2
    330 GT 2+2
    365 GT 2+2
    275 GTB Alloy
    308 GT/4 (3 different cars)
    308 Mondial QV
    308 GTS Carbed
    308 GTB Carbed
    308 GTS QV (2 different cars)
    246 GTB
    246 GTS
    365 GTB4
    330 GTC (3 different cars)
    365 GTS
    412 MI
    250 GTO
    275 GTS
    250 GT P/F Coupe

They all had one thing in common – I have no recollection of any buyer EVER requesting any maintenance records or history.

Furthermore, I do not recall any of the owners keeping detailed service records.

Comments?

Bob Z.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    412MI....now THAT would be an interesting read!

Just the factory mods alone, would be quite a volume...

I think the big "tools and records" thing has been due to crazy values and novices in the market..while comforting to a newbie......older owners realize the cars are 'as is...where is"....if it's broke you fix it...

You had a tough time getting warranty work out of Mr. Chinetti, I've read....
    Nowadays the modern mindset is, "I broke my car who's gonna pay for it?"

3. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    In the 70's and 80's was chaning timing belts as important on those cars as it is today. Besides the 308's how often do the belts need to be changed on a 250 330 ect.
    erik

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I bought a car where one owner kept track of every bottle of water wetter, on down.........the trunk leaked when I left it outside, submerging these receipts .....forever.

*sigh*

That 'ten on a scale of ten' turned out to be about a 6.5........still have it though, a good car.

The next one was a two owner car, and I felt a lot better about that buy.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL! The OLDER, finer v12s have CHAINS baby!

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Mr. Z's list goes back to 50s, man.

7. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    The 412 MI was the most interesting car I've ever worked on. The owner had, as I recall, some of the factory dyno sheets, showing somewhere around 475 HP. The car was an absolute rocket on the track. Six carbs, twin plugs - each distributor had 12 contacts. The engine had a tiny flywheel, just to support the starter ring gear. You can imagine the way it tached up. Chronometric tach also. It had a transaxle which was allegedly from one of the Lancia D-50s. The fuel tank was sheet magnesium.

Regarding changing timing belts - I've only done the 308s. I remember on the early ones, the recommendation was every 15,000. One customer brought me a three year old GTS QV with 30,000. I changed the belts and the ones I removed (original) were like new.
    Bob Z.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Where is 412MI now?

I thought it ended up in the Reno Museum after being in the Harrah Collection, but someone on here told me that was not the case......

That's a nice list.....

My other fav would be the 315S...(later the 335S).

Yea, the belt change issue is really overrated, I do 'em at 15K, but 30k seems more realistic..........