Anyone know Rider College? | FerrariChat

Anyone know Rider College?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by SefacHotRodder, Oct 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm looking at it and wondered if anyone went there or has any experience with it?

Thanks

Chris

2. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    2 pieces of advice, Rider hard and Rider long.

3. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    I know a few gals that went there. They had quite a blast...good times, lots of women but not for the "academic minded". But then again, you don't attend college for the academics! ;-)

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    uncle went there

5. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Please define further...

I'm not into like hardcore work and tons of homework etc but i also don't want to go to a school that isn't academic enough.

6. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    As for defining my comments further I will just say this, the girls that I know from Rider College were more interested in partying than studying. I'm sure you can learn quite a bit while matriculating at Rider, but the experiences I had with folks from that school were far from academic. ;-)

It's not a bad school, but at the same time I don't think of it in the same category as Rutgers College, Drew, Stevens or Princeton (especially not Princeton) from an academic standpoint. Just IMO of course...

7. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

Thanks

8. Motoracer

Motoracer Karting

May 23, 2004
    Wayne NJ
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I go to Westminster/Princeton and we are linked with Rider University. They are a pretty good school, and since it is so close to princeton, you may be allowed to take some classes there like I am allowed if you keep your GPA up. I am attending Westminster as a Freshman, Majoring in Piano Performance.

9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I agree with Eric. A lot depends on your grades and SAT scores, as well as what you plan on majoring in. You've got some good schools in PA, like Leheigh and Lafayette. Penn State is also a good school and as a PA in-stater, would cost you (your parents) relatively little. My daughter goes to University of Maryland and loves it, both academically and socially. She's a pre-med and finds the work challenging, but she's a straight A student. The campus is great, but the town leaves a lot to be desired.

You need to decide first what you want out of a college experience and a college education. Once you have some idea about those things, go and look at as many schools as you can and talk to the admissions people about their programs, and talk to the students about how they like the school and the living. Depending on your grades, rank in class, SAT's, activities and aspirations, you may not be a good fit at some schools, but a perfect fit at others.

One other thing, as a Rider student down the road in Lawrenceville, you won't be taking courses at Princeton, and you won't be warmly welcomed in that town by the academically and socially snooty Ivy Leaguers.

10. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    One kid from my class last year went to rider. I will drop him an email and see what he has to say about it. Why not stay in PA and go to St. Joe's
    Erik

11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Rider sounds like my type of education . . . sex education. I see you are young 17, but no excuse. Go look it up or better yet go visit the campus. BTW, if you have to ask what "academic minded" means maybe this is the school for you - wink-wink, nudge-nudge. Sorry, but if you can't do some research on this what are you going to do when you start school. You want a Ferrari and all the other material things in the world start acting like it. Class dismissed.

12. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the advice. It is appreciated. I live in the Lehigh Valley (the college itself is about 10 mins away) and i'm not really keen on staying that close to home (i didn't mean that in a mean way). Its kind of boring here.

Thanks man. My gpa isn't good enough. I think i could get into rider and thats why i'm asking.

4 Days... :D

Here's the story. I am the first one in my family to go to college (as in first child of my mom and dads) so its new to us what goes on etc. Also, my parents (and me until i was 12) grew up in the UK. As you can probably guess, English colleges are quite different from US colleges, so my parents don't really know much either.

What the hell do you think i am doing now? I figured (and figured correctly) that some people on here either went to rider or know people who did and was hoping they could help me out, which they have

I have no idea what this means so i'm just going to ignore it

13. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Chris - What I'm trying to say to you and sorry if it ruffled your feathers is: as a young man start to make your own decisions. If you want to attend Rider University do it because you have made your own decision and it offers you what you want from college, not because you can get in. You have made the decision to go to college, a fantastic goal. However, speak with your HS counselor about possible other schools which would accept you and offer a program which fits with your overall goals. As mentioed by another poster, as you do not state any area of study you want feedback concering Rider, I'll say you have not made a decision on what you will major in. My point, if I ask someone a question about something generally it is to get specific information (ex. I'm thinking of attending Rider to study engineering, can anyone share on their experience).

Having material things in life, more specifically Ferraris are attained by setting goals, being determined and having a little luck.

BTW, in the real world you will, more than likely, have bosses and they will expect you to take initiative and make decisions, if you want to be successful. You have been here 5 years and claiming differences in the UK vs US higher education is bogus and sets a bad precedent on your ability to deal with a challenges.

Happy Birthday, I saw it was the 4th, but gave you the benefit of being 17 ahead of time. I'm sure you will have an f-Car.

14. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Chris, Go to the bookstore and pick up U.S. News and World Report's guide to colleges and universities. It ranks schools, talks about grades and scores needed for admission, and there are a number of articles about applying to schools, what to look for, how to go about it. That's a really good place to start.

As far as being the first to go to college, that's a good thing. It's an opportunity. But going to college shouldn't only be about partying your brains out for 4 years. If that's all you want to do, save your parents $100K, get a job, and go to it. Sure, you'll do your fair share of having fun no matter where you go to school. But that should not be the REASON you are going.

You want a Ferrari some day? How do you expect to make the money to get one? A good education is the key that opens the door. Go to college as a step to moving your life forward.

I had this conversation many times with my own kids. My son went to an Ivy League school. He's in a top-10 law school now and will be going to work next summer for a major NYC law firm. He'll be buying his own BMW or F-car very soon. He earned it with hard work. My daughter is pre-med and well on her way to a successful career with straight A's. Along the way, they both had lots of fun. My son rowed crew in college and did plenty of partying. My daughter is in a sorority and is very popular. But they understood that there is a time for work and a time for play, and didn't let the later overwhelm the former.

The choice is yours, my young friend. Only you can make of your life what you want from it.

Enough preaching. I'm done.

15. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Steve. Thank you for the tips. Trust me, i'm not into partying (i'd rather be sleeping than at a party at 2 AM :) ) but i don't want to go to a really intense hardworking school. After all, i probably wouldn't be able to cope with it.

Dave, i'm sorry about the harsh words. I misunderstood your post.

Btw, its the 5th :D

16. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Chris,

Happy Birthday, buddy!

Rider is not like going to Harvard or MIT or Yale. But don't kid yourself... any school requires a certain amount of work to do well. And doing well is the name of the game, no matter what school you are at. You do well in school, you'll write your own ticket later in life.

Best of luck and let us know what you end up doing.