Humvee vs Hummer Traction Control? | FerrariChat

Humvee vs Hummer Traction Control?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ferrari_kid, Nov 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    I haven't driven a Hummer before, but from the military guys I've been talking to says there is some type of a traction control system activated by the brakes (assuming this is the Humvee, military version). Is anyone familiar with this, and is this on the Hummer too? I was curious because I haven't heard of this type of system on any other offroad vehicles (Land Rover, Toyota, Jeep). There is also 3 different transfer settings 4WD, 4WD high lock, and 4 low. Anyone know the differences between the three? I know the 4WD setting would be the standard driving setting, but the other two? If it's anything like a normal 4x4 with a transfer case it just lowers the gear ratios. But I heard there was one setting that would lock the differentials and allow all four wheels to turn at the same speed.

2. kito

kito Karting

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Keith
    If I remember right, if one of the wheels loses traction, the brakes keep it from moving (and losing power) and it transfers the power to whatever wheels have traction. As for the other stuff, I don't know.

-Keith-

3. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    There is a hill descent feature that IIRC once you activate it will go down a hill by pulsing the brakes for you. I think some Land Rovers have it too.

4. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    I know Land Rover has a HDC system (Hill Decent Control) which, when activated, automatically controls the vehicle decent by pulsating the brakes to keep the vehicle under 5mph, pr somewhere there abouts. The Land Rover TC system also will brake a wheel that has no traction either (ie, it was in the air or spinning in the mud).

The Humvee TC will activate when you depress the brake pedal in an inbetween position. The vehicle will not begin to brake, but the TC will kick in. At least that's as much as I understand. But the system doesn't solely work on depressing the brake pedal to this "inbetween" stage.