Car or house??? | FerrariChat

Car or house???

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Lee_Proctor, Nov 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Thinking long term as a just 20 year old - do I keep the car and rent...or do I put the car towards a house?? :(:(

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    House, no question. You can buy another car later .

3. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Manager has tonnes of properties and he says theyre on the way down to be at the trough this time next year - so thought I may be able to abuse it whilst I have the funds. Then with a mortgage, can pretty much get any car I want as I have "status" etc etc

4. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    You are indeed fortunate to be in either position Lee.
    At 20 I was driving a Morris 1000, didn't have a house til 32 and got my 1st Big F was last year at 52.
    I agree with Tony the house is the clever option, but won't be half as much fun!

5. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Yes..fortunate indeed :) I knew the house would be an option, but once I do have a house then theres no reason why I cant save for a newer Ferrari (355 making more of an impression on me by the day). And my salary in a year/two time will be much better than it is now and will certrainly be able to afford the upkeep of the car moreso than I can now.

6. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Well as you have bought it now I think it would be silly to sell straight away. Why don't you keep it for a few months, get your F car fix, and sell it April next yr just before the summer. The market for F cars probably isnt that good with winter looming and christmas / new year approaching.

The property market isn't about to make spectacular gains in the next 6 months so you will still be in good shape to buy then. That way you have enjoyed a Ferrari for a while, now have a house, and can start saving for the next Ferrari you will own a couple of years later!

7. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Whatever your decision, you need to leave yourself plenty of free cash for living a playboy lifestyle at 20 (or perhaps you've already factored this in, and your just rich). Its no good just having the car if you can't also park it outside China White without morbid fear of it being scratched. It spoils the experience. Similarly, there is no point buying a house at 20, when you could be spending the money getting laid, smoking weed and generally partaying ........ ha ha ha just my opinion speaking from experience being myself a 26 yr old who spent ALL his savings on a car at 22 !! :) Don't listen to me..

Ade

8. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004

9. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    However much i'd LOVE a 308 or similar now, i think its best to wait a few years until i'm in my mid-20s at least.

If you buy the house now, you'll have probably made a fair wack in a few years and the equity could buy a Ferrari out right.

Or you could buy/keep the Ferrari now, and in 2/3 years time it'll be worth less, you'd have spent money on car and your rent cheques will be lining your landlord's pockets and now yours :)

10. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    My job doesnt permit me to be 20. I feel 30 at times. And as a contractor its scary knowing in a weeks time you could potentially not be in work. My father is a building contractor and has worked with the current firm for 21 years now. He can get substantial discounts on houses for me PLUS get all the extras that normally add 20k to the house for free. That in mind, I can save 40K on a house, thus pay £100k and with the money left get a car...?

11. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    I reckon you got it right Ade.

12. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    keep the ferrari till april as they sell for more money then buy a house spoke to steve p says you can have the 15th of so you can go to silverstone in the car

13. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    stevep is in canary islands and doesnt know about the 15th. said he hasnt spoken to you

14. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    such a liar isn't he!

I say enjoy the ferrari for a while, get nice birds with it, sell it in spring for a house

15. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I'm sorry to hear that you feel that old :) he he

As a contractor, in reality I think you shouldn't feel the pressure as much as you have a marketable skill (or you wouldn't have got the job, right?), the one big sustainable benefit I've found personally of contracting is reduced commitment to a firm and/or project and much more personal freedom. If you feel 30 your letting it get to you (IMHO), relax and enjoy earning more than your peer group without letting it alienate you.

Now GO drive that Ferrari.... and forget the stupid house :)

Ade

16. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Lee!
    I don't believe you've just got the car and are already thinking of selling. Shouldn't you have been asking us this question two weeks ago? :-/

Unless something really unexpected happens - if you buy a £100k house now, in a years time it will in most cases be worth at least £110k. If you go waving cash under enough people's noses at this time of year when the market is slow, you may pick up the same £100k house for £92k, making even more money. If you get one that needs a little cosmetic work, you'll make even more.

Your car is going to be worth at best the same as you paid for it in a year's time.

Why don't you put a deposit on a new build, bought early off plan with a 12 month build or something, so that for only the cost of the deposit, you have a property gaining money at the market rate but held at today's fixed price. When completion time comes, either sell the car to finance it, or rent the house out to finance the motgage... or just sell it straight away and move onto another one.

That is the best way in my humble opinion to get a foot into the property market if you don't want to fully commit just yet.

17. Robbo

Robbo Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    I can't believe I just read that

18. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I remember when I was a 24 yr old Ferrari mechanic, and a young guy came in and bought a TRossa for the exact same amount I just paid for my house...about 55K. I had mixed feelings, thinking "what kind of goof am I to buy a house", and "what kind of goof is he"

His TRossa is now worth about 35K, and my old house is now worth about 135K.....

BUT, I've now sold my house and I own a 512BB.....and I rent property!

Couldn't be happier about the situation I'm in.

19. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Lee, i told you should have bought a Fiat X1/9 while you mulled things over!!!!!

20. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The house hadnt been an option until now! Im pretty sure Dad is just bitter and waited like a crouching tiger to tell me (after buyin the car) that I could have a good house for much less cash. Grrrr

21. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Thats dads for you!!!!!!!!!

22. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Lets work out a deal on some discounted houses with your dad and we can work out a deal on a very nice 355 !

James