Overtightening spark plugs in aluminum heads... | FerrariChat

Overtightening spark plugs in aluminum heads...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Kevallino, Nov 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    ...is apparently what caused my 348 to barf a plug last Saturday after a magnificent day out with the SoCal Ferrari Driving Club. Fortunately I was less than 5 miles from home (although 40 miles from the bloke who looks after my car) so organized a flatbed and called Mrs. Kevallino to come collect me.

Apparently you can ream the hole (please, folks) and install an insert without removing the head but of course there is that risk of a big enough piece of metal dropping in to the cylinder. So I am going with the big-dollar option and having the engine pulled so the work on the head can be done off of the engine, with the "advantage" of having all of the other usual suspects checked at the same time. I love this car but am losing a bit of confidence with regard to its prior maintenance history, so am buying myself some piece of mind.

So just letting everyone know not to get too ambitious with the spark plugs and don't let your mechanic overtighten either.

Cheers
    Kevin

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    'Helicoil' is the term, probably doesn't leave any more shavings than the factory did!!!!

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Except that the factory didn't tap the threads with the heads in place!

Good warning, Kevin. Thanks.

Another tip is to use anti-seize when installing plugs into aluminum. Backing out galled plugs can be a problem, too.

--Matt

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If the helicoil tap is heavily greased it will trap and hold the shavings. It's done all the time. I wouldn't pull the head for that.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  6. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the info - I've discussed that with the bloke who works on my car but frankly have kinda been looking for an excuse to have him look over the whole car anyway. I was on the bubble as to whether to do the whole enchilada because of the price difference but in looking at what few records I have of the prior service on the car I have decided to get some bang for my buck while he has the engine out and check the water pump, tensioner bearings, etc. My car was represented as having had a 30K service but the backup is a bit sketchy so as I said I'm buying a bit of piece of mind at the same time.

Not cheap peace of mind, mind you, but I do find myself driving this car bloody hard so want the confidence to keep visiting the 7,500 rpm neighbourhood over and over again!!

Cheers
    Kevin

7. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Another thing to worry about is re-using or reinstalling the plug multiple times.
    The thin wall of the threaded body develops internal stresses that can cause failure to occur, leaving the threaded section in the head.

This migh be a rare occurance, but it did happen while I was "properly" torquing a plug down for a third time:

JD

8. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Never have I installed a plug without this stuff. It works wonders.

9. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I change my plugs on all my cars, on an annual basis. The cost is negligible, and the aggravation (of something like this happening) saved, is priceless.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you are going to pull the head, I would think a Timecert spark plug repair insert is better and provide more strength than a pure helicoil.

11. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks - when I spoke to my mechanic he did mention using something specific. Don't have it to mind at the moment, but I believe it had to do with the metal the insert was made out of. I will check with him to see what he had in mind.

Cheers
    Kevin

BTW not sure if this was clear but this wasn't MY fault - happened as a result of whomever used to have the car and/or worked on it. Hence my decision to "go large" with the repairs simply because I don't trust the previous work that may or may not have been done. KFH

12. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just swapped my plugs out for the first time in my ownership. I found it took real balls to go right up to that specified Workshop manual torque figure even with the anti seize lubing the thread!

That failed plug pic, doesn't look like any of the normally recommended types?

13. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    I put anti seize on mine and only tightened them up to very snug I was afraid of stripping the theads. You know how it is just a little more as you turn the wrench and next thing you know they start spinning easily.

14. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    JeffD..........Two questions for you. 1) What are the torque specs they have for the plugs on your car (just curious because usually its minimal), and 2) I noticed the base was not tapered, so, I was then looking for some form of crush ring. Are they literally just a flat base plug against the heads?

Bob

15. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    The precise torque spec provided by the plug manufacture is a bit cloudy. See the attached pic. If the plug has been in and out a few times the physical torque to tighten would probably be greater due to the crush ring being compressed multiple times. Taking a plug in and out is common if you're checking if you've the proper heat range for your driving, mods, etc...

I now will abide by the new self mandated rule of never using a plug if it's been in and out more than twice.

I didn't put the crush ring in the picture. The plug DID come with one. It fell off when I remove the plug, and just didn't bother to put in front of the camere when I shot the pic.

JD

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    21 ft-lbs for alloy heads, 25 ft-lbs for cast iron heads, or is it lbs-ft ... :confused:

What my father (30+ years as A grade mechanic) has taught me to always use and I always torque spark plugs to these settings.

I wouldn't use that NGK method myself, how do you know it has seated properly before you do the 1/16th of a turn?

Pete

17. valvespring

valvespring Rookie

Dec 21, 2003
    Lb-ft is torque, ft-lb is work.

18. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The torque depends on the thread size, and material. In cases of high silicone content alloy such as Ferrari cyl heads, I follow this rule of thumb....

14mm (308) 18lb ft new. 16 lb ft used.

12mm (328/TR etc) 16 lb ft new 14 used.

10mm (355/F40) 14 lb ft new 12 used.

All of this is irrelevant if using taper seat plugs (no Ferrari). But as an example 16mm into cast iron for taper seat plug is 7 lb ft .

To repair a stripped thread, I think a Time sert is better than a Helicoil, but either are acceptable, and both can be done with the head in situ, some grease and a powerful wet/dry vacuum cleaner with a bit of hose to fit through the plug hole.

19. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I think the owners manual of my 3.2 says for new plugs it should be torqued to 15 lb-ft, then loosened and retorqued to 12 lb-ft. I will confirm when I get a chance to check the OM.

20. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Jeff...thanks for the pics and info........ I've almost always done what the pic shows, tapered I put in just until the base touches, back out a little, in again, then 1/8turn. On the others with the crush ring, those I usually trash just because once installed Im not sure you get the same install torque the next time. (but who knows).

Hey, either way, a great help is to (if you are room limited) put a 4" piece of hose over the plug so it wont drop..

(BTW.......How did you (or I should say your car, like the Iridium's?)

Bob

21. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison

My F355 has taken very kindly to them! :) :) :)

Btw.. it was "fun" getting the threaded body out of the spark plug hole. Used the skinney end of a mill bastard file and turned it counter clockwise. Luckily the anti-sieze compund made it fairly easy to just unscrew it, and luckily, the piston was not so near tdc. (I didn't have an easy out handy)

Jeff Davison

22. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Units in engineering follow the communtative rule of mathematics which means a*b = b*a. A ft-lb is the same thing as as lb-ft. It is semantics and personal preference only. Both are correct.

One form of energy is kinetic energy. Mathematically, it is 1/2 * W/g * V**2

The units are lb/(ft/sec**2)*(ft/sec)**2. Cancelling like units you end up with lb-ft for energy. But ft-lb is also correct because the order of the formula can be written in any order and provide the same numerical result. In engineering computation the purpose of units is to ensure you have the correct formula and are comparing apples to apples.

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I say tomato, you say tomAto

It is the red fruit (veg) that you put in your salad.

24. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Um, I use a VERY thin coating of Phil Woods green bicycle grease. Is this okay? It's worked well for me and I had a period of very frequent plug changes.

Ken

25. valvespring

valvespring Rookie

Dec 21, 2003
    Of course multiplication commutes, but I disagree that "it is semantics and personal preference only." The customary U.S. unit of torque is lb-ft. The customary unit of energy and work is ft-lb.

Torque is a vector product. Work and energy are scalar products. In the SI system, the distinction is made by referring to the vector product as "newton-meters" and the scalar product as "joules." In the U.S. system, the distinction is made with the lb-ft / ft-lb convention.