1999 355 F1 Exhaust Manifolds | FerrariChat

1999 355 F1 Exhaust Manifolds

Discussion in '348/355' started by 355flyer, Nov 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin
    I have just bought a 99 355. Is there a still a problem with the exhaust manifolds. The 15k major was done a year ago and no notice of it. Was the problem resolved by 99? Does FNA replace the manifolds or is it on us???

2. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    See this thread...

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17439&highlight=355+manifold

I think you might be covered by FNA til '06 (7 yrs since reg)?

Will they go on your '99 car? I've read conflicting things. Some say they will all go. Some say that the manifold design was changed slightly on the late cars, so dont go (hope so as mine's a '99 too!). Others say that it is caused by lots of track work, heat, failures elsewhere e.g valves, cats, bypass valve etc.

I'd say that there is no method to it, but it isn't the end of the world if they go, just expensive. Once they are fixed, either by Tubi replacement or QV reconditioning, they seem to be fine. And if they do go, don't buy an OEM replacement!

Robert.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have heard of 99 355's having exhaust manifolds burn through....and why not? There is really nothing different in the manifolds from 97 to 99. I think the earlier 95 and 96 years had a slightly different air injection tubes on the manifolds, that were more prone to cracking...

And if they replace them, you will get more of the same manifolds, they STILL have not updated the part....so they will possibly fail again.

What is interesting, is that not all 355's have a problem with this...so it is also possible that you may escape this problem.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    BTW, unless they pull the heatshields off and are specifically inspecting for damage to the exhaust manifolds, I doubt anyone is going to notice until you actually get a crack or burn through....then you will hear it. You really cannot see the problem with those heatsheilds on.

5. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    I learned of my latest failure(passenger side) when I had the oil changes and the technician heard the leak. Shortly it became obvious. I am told that the passenger side is much more prone to failure. Hope you don't have it but it bears watching. Otherwise my 98 has been a great car. Yours looks great.