911 Turbo Cab roadtest------------------ | FerrariChat

911 Turbo Cab roadtest------------------

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by tonyh, Oct 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Typical Porsche lover. The one I drove had numb steering and weak brakes. My wife's M3 was more exciting to drive. It was like driving a really fast couch. Comfy yes, sporty no. So I went and bought a 355 spider. A far superior driving experience.

3. No Mercy

No Mercy Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Lone Tree, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have a Porsche Turbo Cab and find it to be awsome. Much faster, (when it was stock), than my M3 was and I am sure would handle a 355 quite easily. The 355 sounds better and may be a better "experience" but slower nontheless.

4. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    You're right. It is a fast car, but it feels like an Sl600 to drive. Fast and comfy. It's a great car, dont get me wrong. It's just not much of a ddrivers car. It felt very disconnected compared to M3s and Ferraris. Which I guess is why they made the GT3 and GT2. My buddy has a GT2 and it is more my style. Incredibly fast and conected. They are all great cars though. Just depends on what you want out of the drive every day.

5. No Mercy

No Mercy Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Lone Tree, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Comparing it to an Sl600 is waaay off base. I agree the GT2 and GT3 are more raw and have a better overall feel. They really do outshine the 996TT on a track. While the 996 is cut a notch below on the track, it will still handle its business. A Benz is a straight line rocket and is more like the fast couch you refer to, nothing like a Porsche Turbo.

My Porsche has been modified and I am pushing about 780hp. I have done a full coil over suspension and bigger brakes etc. I guess I am not the normal Porsche Cabriolet driver but even stock this car was impressive.

I have owned a BMWZ8, an M3, a modified M5, several Vettes, (including a 9 sec Z06) and others and can say the Porsche Turbo impressed me enough to buy one. The readily available aftermarket for modifications did not hurt either

If I want a raw feeling of power and control ... I'll drive my Viper.

LAFun2, That quote about Porsches in your post is ignorant. I know many people with Porsches who have many other vehicles. I also know a guy with a 360 Modena who lives with his parents and spends most of his income on his car. I do agree that the 993TT was a Porsche with more soul than a 996 TT.

6. No Mercy

No Mercy Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Lone Tree, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Oh DAMN!! Now I feel stupid. No problem bro. I always get worked up ubout comments like that.

7. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I have seen your Porsche and it is phenominal. It's the yellow vert. Correct?

If you look at Top Gears times around their track for the Cl65, they are 2 seconds faster than the 996TT and that car is identical weight and power to the Sl65 so maybe they are not too far off than you might think. Dont get me wrong I do think the 996TT is a great car but it just feels a little too Mercedes like for my taste. It was just too plush, soft and disconnected feeling for me.

Again congrats on your car. that thing is a beast.

http://www.topgear.com/content/misc/TV/lap_times/

8. No Mercy

No Mercy Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Lone Tree, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Yes that is my Yellow Cab ... Thanks Alan!

In your original post you compared it to an SL600. Big difference between an SL600 and a CL65. The SL600 is closer to the SL55 w/o the benefit of the AMG upgrades. The CL has the benefit of larger brakes a better suspension a bunch more HP and a ton more torque.

The feel between the Benz and the Porsche is very different. Did you drive a Tiptronic or a 6speed?

9. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I drove a 6 Speed. I think it's because I was so used to driving my M3 and I had just come from driving a 355 Spider.

10. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I dunno, I currently have a GT 2 and an M3 and there is simply no comparison in terms of raw, put down the power, screamin' tear your fockin' head off acceleration. When i switch to the M3 after some extended wheel time in the Porsche, and first put my foot down, i wonder where the engine went.

11. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I agree with you there. My buddy has a GT2 and it is phenominal. I can't imagine driving No Mercys car. That thing is a beast.