Anyone Else Wake Up w/ Lower Back Pain? | FerrariChat

Anyone Else Wake Up w/ Lower Back Pain?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Jerrari, Nov 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I have been for the last 6 months or so. The wierd part is, nothing has changed as far as my mattress (firm), pillows (feather-medium thickness), but I wake up with pain that hardly allows me to bend at the waist until an hour or two later. Any suggestions? Am I just getting old!!?? Thanks, Jerry.

2. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    Go see an orthopedic surgeon specialize in back pain. Maybe it's nothing, but it could be more serious than you think. Same thing happen to me right now, but different area of pain.

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Flip your mattress. I had the same problem until I flipped mine. The morning back pain dissapeared overnight!

4. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I attribute my backpain to geezeritis.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Don't sleep on your stomach. Don't sleep on your back.

Sleep on your side. Bend your knees and put a pillow between your legs.

If that doesn't help, then, time to go see the orthopaedist and get your bad old back checked out.

Could be muscular, could be discs. could be almost anything.

There are a number of relatively simple exercises that you can do to relieve much of the pain. I have two bad discs in my lower back, but the exercise makes it tolerable.

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    And think of all the money you'll find!

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I disagree. An orthopod is one of the last people you want to see. Trust me, I've been to many of them. The general rule of thumb is, if they can't cut, an orthopod isn't going to do much for you. If you are an orthopod or have relations wth one and this offends you well... this is just the basic facts.

First thing I would try is either a massage therapist or a chiropracter. Be very picky about the latter and the former, well, it could be muscles spasming up, but back spasms are in a totally different league when it comes to back pain. Trust me, I've been through many of those before.

But a few questions for you:
    - is the pain general? or very specific?
    - do you put a wallet in your back pocket? if so, stop it. that causes you to sit awkward. get a money clip, get rid of the crap and put it in your front pocket.
    - how do you sleep? (as already questioned)

8. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    RIGHT SPOT ON, PETER

WE FLIP AND TURN OUR MATTRESS EVERY MONTH...NO MORE PAIN FOR ANDREA!!!!

9. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Excercise.

I'm serious. It may help. A few years ago I was getting back pain. Tried everything. Went to see my MD. Went to a chiropractor (waste of time IMHO). Finally, I started running with my wife, mostly because I wanted to get back into shape. After a couple of weeks, the pain went away.

YMMV.

Dom

10. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I don't sleep with my money!

11. Roryferrari

Roryferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    Get a sleep number bed. Just put mine together last night and had one of the best nights sleeping ever. Great for people that have problems just like yours.

12. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    To Randy,
    I should elaborated more. Not all ortho. surgeon need to cut. It's all come down on Correct Diagonosis and each cases are diferrent. We can not give out advise until we know the exact cause of the problem. Like I stated it before- it could be non-medical problems- bad sleeping posture, too soft or hard mattreses, overweight (more stress put on the back muscles and vertebra).... or it could be underlying medical problems that cause secondary backpain. My concerns that he claimed to be in pain for 6 months or more now. Check with an MD, than appropiate tx can be recommmended. Least tx- massage therapy, change laying habbits , exercises and/or chiropractic manupilations... Worst case senerio- surgeries
    Check out post #5 by Dave M.

13. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You one of those guys that puts his money in a BANK!?!

Mattress, baby, mattress!

14. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    i often wake up with lower body wood.

15. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    FYI: I'm 38, exercise like a SOB (am not overweight), eat right, etc. OK even if you fall asleep on your side, what prevents you from rolling on your back/stomach after you are asleep? A pea in your T-shirt? I will go flip the mattress right now for starters, thanks fellers!!

16. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Looks like we just may start a medical section to F chat.

17. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Ya William....I need you to come to my house w/ that hammer behind your back & slam me w/ it tomorrow am.

18. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Try a copper bracelet like the golfers wear. It works for me. And take an aspirin before bed.

19. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Good. Can I be the moderator?

20. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Have you tried this? Take two caplets of pantothenic Acid (500 mg) with a glass of water before bed. You can finf it at any health food store.

21. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Jerrari,

How about go to an orthopedic, have him do the xray then an MRI to make sure your not about to pop a disk. Then go from there. The MRI should answer some questions and rule out any problems.

I picture is worth a thousand words.

Ive had low back pain for about 10 years. Had the MRIs etc. ruled out disc buldging, so I now know its a soft tissue problem, like a ligament, and it gets irritated from sitting to long.

You need all the info you can get so you can figure it out for yourself.

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jerry.

My doc had me sew a Tennis Ball into the front of my t-shirt. Roll onto your stomach, and you suddenly find yourself woken up by the tennis ball.

I later found that sticking a big pillow in front tended to do the same thing without as much pain, but, the TB thing will do the trick.

DM