328 headlight question | FerrariChat

328 headlight question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by geofflowe, Nov 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geofflowe

geofflowe Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2004
    Souffampton
    Full Name:
    Geoff Lowe
    I want to remove the headlight units but can't see an obvious way of doing this. Whenever I put them 'up' they are either on sidelights or dip beam!

I'd like to replace the bulbs with something more powerful - how d'ya do it??

2. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    hi geoff .... i have always changed bulbs with the lights switched on and the headlight units obviously raised .... remove both bulbs asap so as not to drain the battery .... often wise to mark headlight alignment with masking tape on the garage door / wall before dismantle.

should you hit problems beyond the immediate task, i have manuals available.
    cheers, d

3. geofflowe

geofflowe Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2004
    Souffampton
    Full Name:
    Geoff Lowe
    Thanks, but how do you get to the back of the units when they are 'up'? I would have thought there is a manual way of raising them (in case of emergency).

4. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    thats a simple problem to fix dont drive in the dark

5. geofflowe

geofflowe Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2004
    Souffampton
    Full Name:
    Geoff Lowe
    Steve - long may your technical advice grace this forum - I am truly indebted to you - LOL!

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    cheers mate i might have to start charging people as giving advice is taking up a lot of my time

7. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    #7 F308 MAN, Nov 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. geofflowe

geofflowe Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2004
    Souffampton
    Full Name:
    Geoff Lowe
    Yep - looks like it. Can you get to the back of the unit without dismantling the whole lot though?

9. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    if the unit is anything like the mondial then raise the assembly, pull out the fuses that supply the lamps and change them. I recently changed all lamps for the power bulb units and can now drive at the legal limit with safety!

10. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    Hi Geoff,

They can be raised in an emergency by turning the dial/knob on top of each motor, but first you must disconnect the power. Either take the wire off the motor, or disconnect the battery. It's covered in the owners manual on p91 as is changing the bulbs on p93.

Nigel.

11. geofflowe

geofflowe Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2004
    Souffampton
    Full Name:
    Geoff Lowe
    Thanks Nigel et all - sorted.

12. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Following on from advice given already.... you don't try to get to the back of the lamp, instead you dig your way in from the front. Looking at the exploded drawing posted by F308 MAN; you need to remove the faring from the front of the lamp pod (labelled 1)

1) disconnect battery
    2) turn knob on top of each headlight lift motor and slowly the lamp pods will raise (as stated), but stop short of fully raising the pods, say 3/4 raised...
    3) remove the cover screws (labelled 2) on the exploded drawing
    4) seperate and remove the faring / front and sides of the pod. NOTE: the top of the faring has a tongue fitting behind a lip in the top part of the upper body.
    5) the reason that I suggest you don't quite fully raise the lamp pod is: when you remove the faring it needs to come slightly towards the front of the car, then once it is free of the pod just turn it and lift it up and away. But when the lamp pod is fully raised you'll find the big tongue at the bottom of the faring fits rather too neatly inside the hole in the bonnet-wing and this does not allow you to remove it from the pod. Instead if the lamp pod is still looking down a bit, when you remove the faring the tongue will pass under the bonnet-wing into the void.
    6) with the faring removed a tradition 7" round H4 lamp is revealed held by a perimeter bezel ring. Just loosen the three fixings screws and turn the bezel around the lamp until the wide end of the key lines up with the fixing screws, hold the lamp in with one hand and remove the bezel with the other (now you're wearing the bezel like a bracelet)
    7) remove the lamp from the backing plate and as it comes forward pull the wiring pigtail off the back of the bulb.

NOTE: the wiring is usually a short length of about 9 inches length which in turn joints to the main wiring loom behind the lamp pod. Make sure all the joints are clean and tight as every joint is a potential loss of voltage and lamp brightness.

I put PIAA patinum white 55/60W bulbs (ex. Demon Tweeks) in with new Cibie Quadoptic H4 lamps. The results were great, but to be fair I also rewired the lamps through a new relay bank from the battery, which also helped.

Since I did my lamps, I have read an USA thread that HID Xenon lamps are available as 7" round lamps as a near direct replacement for the traditional Cibie lamps. I wish I'd known that a year ago!

Have fun

13. geofflowe

geofflowe Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2004
    Souffampton
    Full Name:
    Geoff Lowe
    Thanks for all the advice - will attack it tomorrow!!

14. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    ask lee p he has one of these and might be able to help