Barber Motorsports Track (Birmingham) March 5 2005 | FerrariChat

Barber Motorsports Track (Birmingham) March 5 2005

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Mike C, Nov 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Saturday Mar 5, 2005
    FCA at Barber Motorsports Track (Birmingham AL)

You've probably heard about the Barber Motorsports Track in Birmingham, and now you'll have a chance to drive it. We're running a joint event with the RPM Autosport Group for a day at the track. We'll have no more than 45 cars for the day (which is a fairly small group for that large a track) in three run groups so everyone will get lots of track time, and if we have enough Ferraris, we’ll have a run group of our own. Novices are welcome and there will be a special "lead-follow" time to introduce them to the track. Barber is a very expensive (!!) track to rent, and the fee per car is $450, but those of us who have been there before know it’s worth it! There are up to 30 spots available for Ferraris and other FCA-member cars if we get them filled fairly quickly; the other spots are taken by mostly Porsches, Miatas and BMWs who are part of the RPM Group. For those of you also interested in running on Sunday where it will be mostly RPM guys, we’ll have up to 10 slots. Some of our Ferrari guys have run with the RPM group before, though it's primarily "invitation only" if you're not part of their group. If you'd like more info about the Barber track, visit our www.fca-se.com website for links that will let you see the track layout and give you info about how to run it, and you can even see an in-car video of the track so you get a feel for it. IF YOU LIKE TAKING YOUR FERRARI ON THE TRACK, DON’T MISS THIS RARE OPPORTUNITY TO DRIVE THIS ONE!

If you'd like to get an online feel for the track, including in-car video,
    click here and go to the bottom of that page for the "turn a lap" link. It will take you to an interactive FLASH presentation telling you how to best take the turns. There is also a button to VIEW VIDEO.

Contact me via PM for reservations, or through our fca-se.com website. We may be able to rebate some of that fee later as an FCA-member benefit; I'm working on getting some sponsors to get the per-car fee down.

2. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Boy, that in-car video of the Barber track, sure brought back some great memories!

3. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    This track is available for download for Grand Prix Legends. It looks like it is quite a fun track, and running it on a simulator would help the new drivers get familiar with it before they hit the track.

Here is a 6MB video of a lap in GPL. No comments on my line in a couple of places please.

http://www2.nexband.com/~thebandit/barber_gpl.wmv

Copy the link into your browser, the www2 seems to be messing the link up.

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    That's really cool! I think it's a great simulation, and they've got most of the track correctly rendered, except that I think that the elevation change in turn 1 at the end of the front straight isn't quite right.

5. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I also had a hard time with corner #12.

6. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Mike, count me in. Drove my 911 on that track last year, it's gorgeous and lots of fun. Should be even better in the CS. What would the fee be to drive Sat. AND Sun. ?

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Bobby: PM me your contact info. The fee will be the same for Sunday as it is for Saturday as it stands now. However, for FCA members, Saturday may be less than the $450 I posted if we get some sponsorship help.

And I want a ride in the CS!

8. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Would it cost anything to come and spectate?

I'd love to see/film some Ferraris tearing it up out there.

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    The track usually charges a small gate fee of $10-$20 unless you are listed as "crew" for one of the paid drivers. We'll know more as it gets nearer.

10. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Great. Id love to make it down there (depends on my school schedule).

The only Ferraris I have seen have been sitting around in a car show, would love to see (and her) em stretchin their legs on a track.

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #11 Mike C, Dec 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We do have more details for the event, including pricing. Below is a registration form you can print if you wish or download a larger one from http://www.fca-se.com/fer_barber.pdf. We already have several cars signed up, represented models so far include 308, 328, 348, F360 coupe, 360 spider, 456GT, and 575M.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Add a Stradale to the mix of signed up cars!

13. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin
    Add a F355 to the mix. I will fill out form and send it off Friday.

Thanks Mike/////

14. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Andy,
    You will have a blast! Just watch out for corner #12.

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Branko, are you coming this time?

16. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I hope so. But I will have to wait til later on the decision as there are some big projects on the horizon.

17. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Just so you know, if you *did* send out that form and check, it never arrived here...

18. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin
    I'll check with my secretary. I gave her the PDF and instructed her to send check. We have been extremely bust for the last couple of weeks. We have had a 76% increase in sales this year and are still trying to catch up.

19. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Nice problem to have, eh? ;)

20. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    We will be giving up our "blocked-out" spots as of January 27. After that, there is no guarantee that Ferraris or FCA members will be able to get in. You *MAY* be able to get in, anyway, but it will be on a space available basis if the other club hasn't filled them up.

We do expect to have enough cars to have our own "Ferraris only" run group on Saturday.

Remember that FCA members bringing their Ferrari get a $65 discount on registraton fees for this event!!

21. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    That's one of the track that I would love to run on. To bad that this is so early in the season...Best of luck, have a great time
    Roland
    F40LM

22. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Springtime is JUST the right time to bring the F40 out!!

23. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Andy, I have been informed that the Barber track, like many of the larger tracks around the country, will *not* allow full convertibles on the track if they don't have at least SOME kind of roll protection. In other words, the 360 Spider is ok since it has mini roll bars behind each passenger. A 355 GTS targa is ok, but a 355 Spider wouldn't be unless a roll bar has been added.

Unless I find out differently, you may have to wait for our next track event at Little Talladega (Grand Prix).

Mike

24. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Mike,

I want to go!!!!

A friend of mine is going with his spec miata. I also have 2 other PCA guys who may want to go, but I DEFINITELY want to attend. Do we have spots left???

If you can get me a spot reserved or tell me what I need to do to ensure a spot I would appreciate it. If I can get some ways of having my 911S trailered over I'll drive the Daytona and run both. The Daytona would be fun to run for a session, but the 911 is a full on track car so I will run it most of the time.

Anyone who may have extra trailer space going from Atlanta..... let me know!

Terry

25. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Terry, you're in. We are "giving up" our reserved block after this week, so you need to print out
    the form from www.fca-se.com/fer_barber.pdf and send me a check *right away*. Meanwhile, I'll
    commit your spot and put the money in.
    FoA is coming, and bringing at least 2 cars, but maybe they'll have some room. Call Hugh Steward
    there if you want to check.

Mike