Opinions on Range Rover HSE 1999-2001 models | FerrariChat

Opinions on Range Rover HSE 1999-2001 models

Discussion in 'British' started by Husker, Nov 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    What is the good and bad about these vehicles? I see a number with very high mileage on ebay, so they must be dependable in some respects. ??

Can owners/previous owners give me any feedback as to the nature of these vehicles? Do they break often? If so, how $$ expensive to fix normally?

Thanks for your input!!!

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I have a '99. I love it, but it has not been without problems. Mostly electrical. Radio went on the blink, both front door locks, alternator and alarm. Nothing major, just constantly something little. I think I've got all the problems sorted now, so I haven't had any trouble for a year or so.

Little things with the engine are oil leaks mainly. The V gasket on the intake manifold is a bad design and last 2-3 years, the cam cover gaskets and the oil sump gasket.

The only major problem I've heard with the engine is porosity in the block. The engine was bored out to an extent that the cylinder/water walls are fairly thin. Under certain circumstances the water could "eat" away at cylinder liners. This was not a common problem as such, but more common than it should have been. Make sure the engine has no water consumption.

Other than that, great fun.

Cheers
    Simon

Edit...You probably already know this as you asked about '99-'01 cars but pre 96/97 had problems with the ECU so beware.

3. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    What Simon said...Great cars, we had a 98 and an 00? Calloway. really pretty trouble free, but make sure the oil services were meticulously documented. They gum up if not serviced. Use Mobil 1, and drive crap out of them. Unstoppable off road too. Much more wieldy than new RR.
    RR Sport may be in our future though, about size of old Rangie.
    Good luck
    Lee
    Go Big Red '89

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    my business partner and i almost bought a local land rover dealership in 2002...a big issue with the cars at that time was a very high repair incidence of the cars....this was hurting sales and the previous owners wanted out...there was also large number of disputes over warranty issues and lawsuits with the parent company....ford is currently losing a lot of money with land rover now, and sales are suffering due to reliablity issues, buyers know they can buy a japanese suv with almost zero chance of any issues....

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I had a 98 with no issues. Now I have an 03.

6. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Discos I and II should all be crushed as a merciful act to their owners...Rangies much better/more reliable in late 90's. Killed the conquest market though. Like BMW with their Idrive/software issues in the new generation cars.

7. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon

I agree..discos and freelanders had loads of problems. Defenders and RR are the ones to go for (they had slightly less than loads of problems ;) )

Cheers
    Simon

from sniffpetrol....

8. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I have a MY99 4.6 RR with 98k miles. I have done nothing but oil changes............they are excellent vehicles. My wife has a 4.0......personally I would try and stay away from the smaller engine. Go for a 4.6 and go through anything...........they are really awesome vehicles.

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Always exceptions: have a '95 D1 with 155k; 100% uptime in 10 years. Will be adding an '06 Disco (hope Ford keeps me lucky ;-)

james