FerrariChat.com November 2004 Newsletter now online... | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com November 2004 Newsletter now online...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Nov 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Anyone have problems opening the "Attention to Detail" article?

Thank you,
    rob

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    No problems, opens fine...

4. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I was able to open the article mentioned, but had to click on the pictures that were contained in the newsletter, I was anticipating getting the pics in the doc. Don't know if that was the nature of your question or not.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Now to the more interesting sentence of the newsletter, relating to revamping the classifieds. Did I read that correctly that only members will be able to post? I realize you're trying to get more subscribers here, but that's the wrong way. If I was trying to sell a couple of parts I'd decided to clear out of my garage, I wouldn't be inclined to pay to join Fchat to list them. I'd look around and find another ferrari chatboard to post on for free. If that change takes place, then I'll have to go that site more often myself to keep an eye out for interesting bits on the market. Heck, before long, there might be enough traffic over there that it could become a useful Ferrari resource! So the point is DON'T MAKE THE CLASSIFIEDS SUBSCRIBER ONLY! I've just completed my first deal through Ferrariads and it was with a non-member who's turned out to be a great individual!

Don

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There are a few reasons backing up this direction...

1) It will eliminate most of the problem with spam postings we've had. I go in there every day or so and have to clean up several ads.

2) Most of the active users on FC are already subscribed, a consultant, a moderator, a sponsor, or an honorary user. I agree we'll loose maybe 10% of the postings, but the other benefits will outweigh that small loss.

3) You are a subscribed user and paid your $15. I'm not going to let you and the other subscribed users not receive your full value and more. By giving you this permission over non subscribed users, I am giving your subscription more value as a thank you.

4) Non subscribed users will still be able to view and respond to all ads. For someone selling something, I really don't care if they're around or not if they're not willing to subscribe to post their ad. Newspapers take money, magazines take money, FML takes money, FCA takes money. FerrariAds.com isn't taking money, but will limit it to users that are active and contribute to the community.

Sorry, but I can't agree with your opinion this time.

Thanks,
    rob

6. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    OK, well I have to admit I don't know how many crap ads there are on there, nor do I know the percentage of the ads that are already from subscribed FC members, but if you're also going to keep non paying members from posting WANTED ads, then I can't sell the bits I've got laying around to them because I don't know anyone wants it!
    As for maximizing the value of my $15 I paid, this wasn't one of the perks I paid for, so I'm not missing it now, nor was I when I paid my money. And now I feel that you're shrinking the market from which I can BUY parts and to whom I may be able to SELL parts by doing this, so I feel like I'm getting less, not more. And as for the fact that other media take money for their ads... part of what the internet is about to the general consumer is a lot of free stuff. Don't you remember all the debate before you made it a pay site? And as long as ************ lets people post ads without having to pay $15 to do it, especially if you're looking to SELL OUT... that's where I'd be putting my ad.
    Bad move taking market and goods AWAY from your paying subscribers. I'm glad I saw the ad for the wheels I bought BEFORE you restricted the classifieds to "hard core" Ferrari fans.
    Too bad this is hidden away in this Announcements forum, I never look in this one, and I'm sure most others don't, either. I'll bet I'm not the only one that's spent his money and now feels that, ironically, that will now be reduced in value by this move.

7. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge

No problem. Read it, and referenced it this weekend while detailing one of the cars. :) Very helpful.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You're just grouchy and not making sense at this point.

1) It would be stupid as a subscriber not to post your own ads anymore, because 100% of those that were viewing your ads before can still view and reply to your ads.

2) It would be stupid as a viewer of ads not to look anymore because at most there might be a 10% loss in posts. There is a strong possibility that the more integrated and professional ad software will actually increase the traffic.

3) It would be stupid to only post an ad at F-T, because you're only going to reach dozens, instead of thousands.

4) Things in this announcement forum aren't hidden anywhere, it's towards the top and it was made very clear in the newsletter to ALL users.

So JR, I mean Don, thank you for your advice, but my decisions over the past 4 years are the reason you have such a diverse and expansive online Ferrari community in the first place. Until someone else speaks up, you're talking to yourself. There was a thread last month were many times your number actually was pushing me for a pay to post FerrariAds.com. I think we're going in the right direction, but courses can always be changed.

Thank you,
    rob

9. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Rob,
    I'm not JR, and I formed a negative opinion of him from what I saw of him here at Fchat, but I'm beginning to see his point of view.

This still gets two thumbs down from me. Who knows, maybe actually integrating the classifieds into Fchat instead of having them separated on FerrariAds will increase traffic. And I'm glad that if I'm no longer a subscriber I'll be able to look through them. But don't look for me to clear out my extra bits here for $15. If I want to pay to list my parts, I'll go for a REAL big market and put them on ebay.

Heywood

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ok, we're just not seeing it the same way. I don't expect anyone to pay to list their parts.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    LOL! This is funny. Rob calling somebody grouchy! Wow, you really are turning into a mellow fellow. Must be that Texas living!

Dale

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It's the new and improved me v2003. ;) New version seems to be much better and productive. High road is by statement "above".