Number of Active Gatso's?? | FerrariChat

Number of Active Gatso's??

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by EK3R, Nov 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Well looks like I could be in for a short ban - got double flashed by a speed camera Sat night - already have 9 points for speeding (all within a short period at the start of 2002).

Does anybody know roughly the percentage of cameras that are actually 'live' with a camera in them at any one time?? Not going to moan about it, because if I wasn't speeding (not hugely over the limit) then I wouldn't have got flashed, so thats my tough luck. Just hoping I might get a lucky escape if the box only had a flash unit in it and no camera.

Annoyingly enough, I found out this morning that there is a plug in for Tom Tom Go that has all the speed camera locations, and as I was using the satnav at the same time, would have been forewarned.

Also another question - how long will the ban be?

Cheers

2. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee

For future reference for TomTom (as I use it):

http://checkpoint.oabsoftware.nl

From what my snoopers and sniffers and gadgets tell me, only 1 in about 20 are live - majority are in standby and will flash to make u slow down for 2 weeks. They have 14 days to send out the fine...else youre off the hook (almost).

Ban can be from 2 weeks to years...depends on speeds youve been done for I think, and space inbetween.
    Were you motoring big time on all offences??

3. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    1st offence was over 100mph, but on a empty M25 at half past midnight. Reason I didn't get a ban was the police office stood up in court and made a point of saying there were no other cars around and the weather conditions were perfect. Got 6 points and a huge fine.

2nd was for doing 40 in a 30 zone, two days before christmas, by a officer with a hand held laser. Obviously he didn't have much festive cheer in him :)

Sat was probably 50 in a 40 zone.

4. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee

Hmmm - you maybe ok. Reason being - 50MPH is only really 45mph. And they need to allow a percentage for error so...you may sneak away. I would certainly go to the site and accurately measure the distance between the gaps so you can get a pinpoint accurate speed!!

5. Robgvx

Robgvx Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    RobGvx
    See your PMs.

Rob

6. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    And then go back late at night with a tyre full of petrol and burn the fu***ng thing to the ground. I'd seriously join that MAD group if I knew how to contact them.
    Also have you seen the latest in West Yorks? They are called 'community speed enforcers' or some bollocks and they are old ladies taught how to use a flamin laser gun and stood at the side of the road with a sign saying 'Community speed enforcement'. If I see one I will pull up right next to the old bag and rev the Murci continually till they need a hearing aid if they have'nt one already. Old Bags. Stick to collecting your fu***g pension that I pay for.
    Feel better now

7. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    You know what, the car was seriously loaded up with huge fireworks, Guy Fawkes had nothing on me!! Was thinking of stopping and arranging them around the camera and having an impromptu roadside display!

8. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Cheers matey.

9. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Cool....!! Silverstone next week Si? Good break darn sarf?

10. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    I heard a similar number to Lee, only about 5% are active.

Glad to see you are taking it on the chin though. I had a conversation about speeding with one of my neighbours over the weekend. She had recently been flashed and was whinging. She said "it's impossible to drive at 30 mph". I pointed out that the middle pedal is called the brake and when applied it does reduce the speed of the vehicle. She was not impressed and still thinks she was hard done by.

11. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

ha ha just go to court if ya get stopped off one of these and argue the case, they wont have a leg to stand on

12. Babylon

Babylon Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    I would take what you've been told up to now with a pinch of salt to be honest.

There are WAY more than 5% of the sites enforcing at any one time and although the partnerships like to keep actual numbers close to their chests it's nearer 50%!

If you got flashed then you WERE going over the threshold speed which in a zone in Gwent would mean you were travelling at 51 or above. This #@#@#@#@ (edited to say rubbish :0) ) that says if you were doing 50 then you were only doing 40 is just that!

If you are offered a conditional fixed penalty notice the maximum you will get is £60 fine and 3 points, otherwise you could get up to 6 points and a £1000 fine.

The fine is not issued within 14, that would be impossible to achieve. the Notice of Intended Prosecution is however, and that is a legal document outlining the fact you may be prosecuted for an offence which will be detailed there upon!

I hope this helps!

Babylon

13. Big T

Big T Rookie

Jul 5, 2004
    East London
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Are you sure it was you driving ;-) ;-)

14. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    hey fella think lee was referring to the fact that 50 on a speedo is more like 47 for real, physics etc. My wife has a court appearance for speeding where we couldnt id the driver in 2 weeks so will keep you informed

15. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Thanks for the reply. What would be the threshold going from 3 points / £60 to a higher fine?

Alos, in your opinion, if it is a £60 / 3 points (therefore taking me to 12), how long could I expect to be banned for? Who decides the length of the ban?

16. Babylon

Babylon Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Steve p,
    I understand what you are saying about 50 only being 47 or there abouts but if he was only doing an "indicated 50" ie 47, then the stupid thing wouldn't have gone off in the first place, would it?

A fixed penalty notice can be offered for any speed less than 26 mph over the posted limit ie 56 in a 30, 66 in a 40 etc so if you were around 50 as you think then you would be offered a FPN.

HOWEVER!!!!!! If you have 9 points on your licence already, it will unfortunately mean a day out in the old suit as you can't have a ticket that would put on 12 or more. A ban isn't automatic but you will have to do some serious grovelling to avoid it. If you do manage it, then the @#@#@#@ will hit you with a big fine. My guess is they'd have you off the road for 2 or 3 weeks. The benefit of this is that you then start off at 0 points again but on the other hand your insurance will definitely be affected as you will have to disclose the fact that you have been banned!

See the usher when you get to court and have a word with the duty solicitor before you go in. He'll no doubt know who's sitting in that day and their stance on speeders, so he'll be able to advise you.

Good luck,

Babylon

17. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve

ban them all do the crime do the time thats my opinion to many flash gits in ferraris speeding
    the only chance steve p has if he was in the ferrari and it was raining it must be a case of mistaken identity as he dont go out in the rain

18. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    hehehehehehe

19. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Well, when I saw the double flash, I came off the gas as you do, glanced at my speedo, and if it was above 50 then it was only a couple of MPH. I honestly wasn't caning it at all.

SteveF I have no problems with whatever happens, am not moaning in the slightest.

A court appearance will be a bit of a bugger as its all the way up in Essex but hey-ho never mind.

20. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I went to a talk given by the Sussex Police to SERV (volunteers who deliver blood) on the subject of speed cams. They told us that only 2 of 29 cameras in the county had film in them, though they all flash if you exceed the threshold. That was some time ago, and more modern speed cameras are digital, so it depends on what type of camera you get caught by?

Plus, according to Top Gear, if you're doing more than 180mph they won't trigger anyway!

21. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    At the last count, there were 0 active gatsos on the isle of man (he he)

22. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

totally agree mate, totally

23. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name: