Could use some advice on an out-of-country car purchase!! | FerrariChat

Could use some advice on an out-of-country car purchase!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by christopher, Nov 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hey "F" Chatters,

I've got a situation where I'm interested in a car (cheap) that is out of the Country. Aside form the obvious concerns, the guy wants $2,500.00 up front with shipping costs. Yea, I know this smells of a scam! But, hey if it wasn't, I'd hate to pass up a good deal. It's from a "3rd" World Country and the guy was recently on e-bay, tryng to sell his car. I will not send $2,500.00 blind and wait for car to be sent "not gonna happen" Mama didn't raise no fool!

Anyone out there with practical experience on buying cars abroad? Is there a safe guard that can be used? Any ideas???

Thanks, Chris.....

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Yeah, I know of a safeguard

RUN DON'T WALK!

It's not for real. Of course it reeks of a scam, cause it is. Don't get fooled by the prospect of a TOO_GOOD-TO-BE-TRUE deal... Sound familiar?

Go spend the $2500 on a night at the nudie bar, or donate it to a local drug dealer, or spend it on a woman. You'll get more return for your money!

3. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    dont buy out of country from a non authorized dealer, even so if the deal is THAT good, fly out and do it in person, all your doing is throwing away airfare. I guarantee as soon as you say i'll fly out in person and make the deal things might change. Wire money to yourself out there, then you can claim it with your id after you inspect the car etc. There is only one way to verify the too good to be true deals. and i dont know if this is the case but if the company luthstansa air cargo came into play, take a sport bike cause running away isn't fast enough

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Now I think that is a little bit absurd. I think you can buy things safely internationally, I just don't have that much experience doing it myself.
    I know Tom the King of the Toased Ponies does this stuff regularly. Maybe he could shed some insight.
    At the very least with the broad global reach of Ferrari Chat someone interested must be close by. Maybe a favor that leads to a friendship, its worked for me.
    I think it is closed minded to just say its hard to do so just forget it. Is there a rare Ferrari in a shed somewhere in India waiting to be found?

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Gerald did a short article about scams like this in the last issue of The Ferrari Market Letter; they're ever-present and new ones are popping up everyday... i would walk away... It sounds just like all the other scams... Either that or take Ferretti's advice and go over there in person and see if that changes the seller's attitude... Buyer beware.