About to take the plunge, advice is nice | FerrariChat

About to take the plunge, advice is nice

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Inert, Nov 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Inert

Inert Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    BHM,Castro Valley
    Full Name:
    Inert
    Well im finally about to do something i have wanted to do since 1976, when i was in the fourth grade....buy a Ferrari. The whole love affair started with an ad in a Sports Illustrated that had a 308 GTB, a Maserati Merak, and a Lambo Urraco in it and i was firmly in the grasp of the Greta Garbo of automobilia...La Scuderia. Albeit my first love was the 308, i sat in my first 308 last year and was heart broken; i'm no NBA center but the car was just too small, or the seats anyway. To cut to the chase i am now trying to decide between the late model 355 Cab, early model 550, or early model 360. I have a broker with Dennig helping me look as we speak, but i figure the more input the better. I currently drive a CL 55 AMG which i am keeping but it is my "benchmark" of horsepower, meaning exposure, not what i consider a zenith. I will appreciate ANY advice, being the neophyte here anyway. Thank you all.

2. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    id go for a 98-00 Maranello, but im v12 biased.

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Inert, welcome to FerrariChat... Good luck with your search; sorry to hear about your heartbreak... Why not just buy a 308 and have the seat modified...? 355s, 360s & 550s are fun; i'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose...

There are tons of places to look for cars; FerrariAds, right here on this website, eBay, The Ferrari Market Letter & any number of other Ferrari-related publications... Good luck and keep us posted on your search and dream-fulfillment... :)

4. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    you can modify the seat rails on a 308 to accomidate a larger framed driver.

Hell, look at magnum pi

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I've taught him well! ;)

DL

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Is the next lesson a 997?

7. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    The former owner of my 328 modified the seat rails for a tall person. Now I, at 5 1, have to undo all that with cutting/welding etc. If its the bolsters that are too tight (you don't have a skinny Italian ass) loose some butt size, or order a custom seat. Recaros are nice.

8. Inert

Inert Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    BHM,Castro Valley
    Full Name:
    Inert
    the response time is what i would expect from owners of such passionate cars.....PROMPT!! LOL. Gents i have pretty much moved away from the 308-328 chassis. I guess my next question is F1 vs manual? and yes a prolific transmission is needed over the weaker in this Atlanta traffic. Melle Grazi.

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh, boy...! That's been discussed here plenty of times...! It's sensitive like religion and politics, so the best advice is to just go with what YOU want... If you've tried both, then go with whichever you like more... If you haven't tried both, then try both, then go with whichever you like more... & welcome to Atlanta... :)

10. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    With the 550, there is no F1. If you want an F1, the earliest Ferrari with it was the F355. If you want a 550 with the F1 it's not going to happen, but you could spend and extra $100,000 and get a 575 F1 which is just the modified version of the 550. If you want raw power and tourqe like your CL, get the Maranello or even 512TR, but if you want to destroy all cars on windy roads, go with a 355. If you want all of the above, get a Noble M12 GTO 3R :)

11. Inert

Inert Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    BHM,Castro Valley
    Full Name:
    Inert
    i love this site already. my only response to the noble is it comes without an engine if memory serves, in which case i would be drawn to a cobra replica with an absurd Edelbrock crate engine. i posted my current vehicle (the 55) because it comes with an insane amount of HP and torque but with ride stabil and traction control. i wonder would i quickly kill myself in the 550? BTW, and this is creepy; i watched live as Giles Villeneuve crashed and flew across the track in Belgium when i was a child. I have pulled for Jacques ever since. Melle Grazi

12. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I think you need to make up your mind about V8 v V12. Revs v Torque. If you like the 55 and you want more of the same, but more exciting, get the 550. If you keep the 55 and want a contrast get the V8.

13. Inert

Inert Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    BHM,Castro Valley
    Full Name:
    Inert
    Mita kuulu and Haiva Faiva? (spelling?) Thank you your response. Right now i am thinking the responsiveness of the 355 might be the ticket. TY

14. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just a word on a 308 before you throw it out the window. I too had difficulty when I first sat in a 308 GTSi. I did not fit at all. I am 6-1, and I just could not find any foot room. The first time I was allowed to drive the car, I found it much easier as I aclimated to a new position forced upon me by the cars layout. The third time, as I was allowed to toss the car over 70 odd miles through twisty back roads in a convoy totalling 5 Ferraris, I became more than comfortable and fell in love with the car. Now I own a 308 GTB, primarily because I just love the looks over almost any other car, but also because I knew it offered more room. But again, at first I found it tight. But upon looking at it deeper, I found the seat was not going back all the way on its track. After I took the seat out and made it work properly, and lubed it, I have more room than I need. With the seat back all the way I cant really reach the pedals fully to push the clutch all the way in! I have to pull it "forward"!!!

Remember, these are older cars and things like seat tracks just dont get lubed. Perhaps the car you drove had limited seat travel? Everyone told me to give it time to adjust, and I have to admit everyone was right on the money, it takes time. Even shorter people find it odd to drive a 308 at first

Tom Sellec drove a GTS, and the seats just dont go back as far in those for some reason. But he is 6-4 so I am told, so they took padding out of his seat, and he drove with the top removed. He loved the cars from what I have read. Some places say they recut the tracks or in some way made the seats travel back farther, but I don't know if that was verified anywhere.
    Good luck in whatever you decide.

15. big kahuna

big kahuna Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    greensboro/bangkok
    Full Name:
    kelly hahn
    f-cars are really not suitable for tall people. i really wanted a manual transmition, but had to settle for f1 on my 355 gtb because my right knee sat on the shift knob. i am 6ft 4in and am barely able to sit comfortably despite the f1. it really makes me wonder how big time nba/nfl/nhl athletes fit into the modern f-cars except 550/575's?

16. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    The 360 is VERY suitable for tall people. I am 6' 2.5" and it has tons of room inside, I don't even put the seat all the way back.

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Drive each of them. All are very different beasts. Find the one you like and buy the best example you can afford.

18. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Find a pristine Berlinetta Boxer and spend the money to get it fettled. It has the looks of the 308, handles like a mid-engined car, has the torque of a 12 and is one of the last of the dinosaurs. It will be far more involving to drive than a modern ferrari, and while its not quite as fast as the current crop, you will be captivated by the driving experience-no power steering, classic gated shifter, good sounds, and lots of oomph. You already have one big powerful car, the 550, while very nice (i've owned two) is in some ways too refined. You won't quite appreciate why its so good unless you've owned a more primitive one; and, as others have said, the 12's are gt cars, while the 8's are far more tossable, more sports-car in size, nimbleness and rev-based power.

19. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    My two cents....Get a 550 stick. After driving that Bens an older ferrari might seem uncomfortable and slow. The 550 is roomy and fast......It would be my choice if I had 100-120k!

20. Inert

Inert Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    BHM,Castro Valley
    Full Name:
    Inert
    I must say this forum has provided some of the nicest input i think anyone could hope for. It is truly rare a newbie can find this much sincere help. I am considering all of your tremendous experience and advice. One mentioned the old BB, it was an old love of mine as well, at their age do they demand more shop time? Thanks gents, you all keep teaching, and i'll keep listening. This is a goldmine of information that can't be ignored.

21. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    If retaining the Benz, my pick'd be a 360 six-speed. If the Benz goes, I'd go 550. As cool a daily as you'll come across, IMO. Rijk's point's a good re:contrast, I think.

22. Inert

Inert Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    BHM,Castro Valley
    Full Name:
    Inert
    I think you present a valid point, yes the CL is a very controlled rocket but not the car to sling around 17 Mile Drive in. The 360 vs the 355 i think should be my next choice. Now here's my current dilemma, i really prefer a cabriolet for some al fresco fun the CL can't provide. I truly love the 360 but the spiders are all coming in around 180k and above(used) and my wife will have my kahunas in a mason jar if i spend that much on a car, she already found a Bentley sales card in my pants pocket and went postal! LOL. 355 perhaps?

23. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    Actually tom Selleck told a funny story about how they had to rip practically all the padding out of the seats of the earlier ferraris in order for him not to stick out so much.

My 2 cents, 360 Spyder, can't go wrong.

You get the looks, performance, etc, etc....