O/T, ipod question | FerrariChat

O/T, ipod question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by chaa, Nov 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    My windows xp computer has the itunes music library with all my cds tunes stored on it, i have one 15mb i pod that i down load the tunes to.The question is i am about to by another 40mb and want to know can i just plug in and down load my tunes like i do with my 15mb one?
    Can i use both ipods to store the music or does the itunes library on my computer only recognise my original 15mb ipod?
    It may seem like a stupid question but i just dont want to risk the music that i have saved on the itunes or the 15mb ipod. Thanks

2. Stuh

Stuh Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    Bucks
    The PC will only recognise one iPod. It uses the serial number at install. It's an anti-piracy measure and a pain in the ass!

3. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Thanks stu, but what can be done about this becourse it makes no sense to have more than one ipod in an house hold and have only one computer. Is it possable to reload itunes in the same computer and transfer the music data over to it? So one computer can feed both ipods. Also what happens when one upgrades to the latest ipod, does the music in the itunes file just go to scrap? As you know it takes a long time to collect and convert cds.

4. Bukem

Bukem Karting

Sep 27, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ben M
    Chaa,

there's a few 'crack' programs for Apple Macs which let you run the same library across a couple of different iPods (I used one in the US to load on some of my friend's music, then was able to save it from the iPod to my mac back home - which already had a heap of MP3s on it.)

I'm not a PC user, so I'm not sure whether software exists for XP - but try this site as a starter:

www.ipodlounge.com

good luck mate

Ben.

5. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    whilst on the subject i am thinking of getting an ipod, does it show up in xp as a hard disk and can you put movies on the new colour ipod and watch them

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    the pee pod growing season has just finished here

7. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    u cant install divx, so would need to convert them first in windows movie maker,

but yes, shows as a HD

8. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    i want something i can use as backup, as an mp3 player, film player and photo storage

9. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    PDA

10. cheetah360

cheetah360 Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    I have an iPod and my wife, an iPod Mini. iTunes on Mac (on I assume the PC as well, but maybe not) has an option to sync the iPod to a playlist, instead of the entire AAC library. Then I create a playlist with everything for the iPod (30gb), and a smaller playlist with less than 4gb for the Mini. The only drag is to make sure that whenever you download a new CD, you drag it in the "big" playlist, and possibly select whichever songs for the Mini. It otherwise works like a charm. The only negative is that you lose the ability to download playlists into any iPod, because thee is no concept of sub-playlist. Hope this helps

11. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Thanks very much mate. I may if i can mail you to ask you the procedure when i get the new one, thats if i find it harder than just plugging it in. Thanks again.