Does Ferrari supply any other teams engines? | FerrariChat

Does Ferrari supply any other teams engines?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by PerryJ, Nov 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    On page 19 ? I think in this months F1 World, In the Red bull article, they are talking at towards the end about companies selling engines, and it mentions "even Ferrari, might be willing to expand their customer base"

I didn't know Ferrari sold engines, if true who else has them ?
    If not true do you think Ferrari WILL ever sell engines to other teams?

2. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Sauber uses Ferrari engines for quite some time now (8 years?). Before that there were other teams (Minardi, Prost?).

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Yes, Ferrari supplies Sauber with engines. They are rebadged as "Petronas" for some reason. I believe that for the 2004 season they were current engines for the first time - they used to be last year's motor.

Gary

4. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    well you learn something everyday ;)

did Enzo start this practice ?

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As far as I know Ferrari didn't sell its engines to other race teams in the Enzo era. I believe they started with Minardi in F3 (?), then there was one year of supplies to the Prost team (basically because Prost was an ex Ferrari pilot) and now since 8 years the Sauber deal. And yes this year the Sauber had the same engine as the Ferrari A team. Same will be true for next year.

For road cars Enzo did some deals: Fiat Dino, Lancia Thema 328 and Lancia Stratos. The Fiat Dino deal was purely for homologation of his race engine, the others I think were "just" deals.

Perryaviation, since you learned something and are in the process of jump starting your 1/18 collection: On ebay you can still find 1/18 Sauber F1 cars that had the Ferrari engine...or as I call it: Ferrari's B team
    :)

6. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    :) WAAAYY to many F-cars to get first, although i did have to restrain myself from getting Kimi and Ralf's 1/18 at Autozone the other day :)

7. pipecrash

pipecrash Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    Los Altos, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter A.
    Petronas is a Malaysian oil company and I think the largest sponsor for Sauber.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True. This seems to be some kind of standing rule in F1 to rebadge such engines. Acer was the badge on the Ferrari engines for Prost and I believe Mecachrome was used as a name for rebadged Renault engines.

9. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I think Minardi-Ferrari was the first ever customer engine team in the early 90's. Prost then followed and now Sauber. I believe and read somewhere that the reason Ferrari wanted the customer team to re-badge their engine is so that the name "Ferrari" only appears on one team in F1 and will not take sponsors away from them, and also to ensure that the name "Ferrari" is identified only with the front runners instead of a second tier team. I wonder if they will still demand the same thing if it were McLaren-Ferrari or William-Ferrari, we will probably never ever have to worry about that I guess :)

10. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Don't forget Sauber get Ferrari engines AND gearboxes.

11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Next year they'll be building their own 'boxes again.

12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    The 2004 Sauber F1's were equipped with Ferrari's 2003 engines. Ferrari obviously isn't going to put their "latest and greatest" in a competing car and never will. If you want a Ferrari engine in your non-Ferrari F1 car, you'll have to settle for LAST YEAR's Ferrari engine.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nope. Sauber used this year the 2004 Ferrari engine. They had to since this year's engines had to last an entire weekend. You couldn't have done that with last year's engines. Search the web for reports on this, they will all confirm what I just said.

14. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Good old Tifosi12, I knew I could count on either you or PSK to step in. Bravo. :)

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hehe. I'm always flying to the rescue of my beloved Sauber team. Did I mention, that I grew up ten minutes away from their factory?

BTW: Because of the yet again changing regulations the Sauber team will have 2005 Ferrari engines for next season (the engines have to last 2 races). Also I don't think Ferrari seriously worries about Sauber stealing their thunder. Let's be realistic here. Besides, Todt could always count on Peter Sauber for support. Remember the 1998 title battle?

What Ferrari probably cares most about is to see how the blue Ferrari performs on Michelins.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Never a truer word said. Infact I'm expecting the 2005 Sauber to be either exactly the same as the F2004 or remarkedly similar to the F2005, so Ferrari can maximise their learning regarding Michelins.

It looks like we are walking towards a single tyre manufacturer for some reason anyway as they are all moving to Michelins (why?).

Pete

17. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    [Alex Shnaider, the man behind the Midland F1 Team, which is due to enter F1 in 2006, has expressed an interest in obtaining an engine supply from world champions Ferrari.

"It would be good to have a Ferrari engine in the Midland cars," he told Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport.]

OK, you can stop laughing now. Just thought i'd bump this thread back up one more time before it's allowed to die a quiet death.......

james