Daytona for sale-some TLC required ---------------------- | FerrariChat

Daytona for sale-some TLC required ----------------------

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tonyh, Nov 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Tom S. is on a roll!

I think he has bought five cars in the last month and has high bid on this one too!

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How much would that be worth ?? 40 000$ max ? Daytonas dont command more than 150k$ and at least 100 000$ will be needed to *sort* this car ?

As said in the ad , would be great to convert into a Gr4 .

3. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    LOOKS LIKE THE CAR THAT WAS FOR SALE IN JAPAN A FEW MONTHS AGO.
    THE SAME GUYS THAT HAD THE ALLOY DAYTONA ON EBAY LAST MONTH.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That car may be worth more for its parts than as a restoration candidate.

5. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    I can't belive the bid will go too high. You get the VIN tags, drivetrain, wheels, and a few bits and pieces. Man that really looks bad. I don't think it's a starter for restoration. Daytona's just aren't valuable enough to be playing these games.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Anyone know why this car has pop up headlights...? It has too early a serial number to be a pop up headlight car... It's a Euro spec car and is being offered from the UK so there's no need for it to have been converted to pop ups for the US market... Anyone...?

7. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Hood up...Carb butterflies open...

Engine's done.

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James

not the same car. black vs red.

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    DUH! You think maybe they lifted the hood to take a picture of the engine maybe? These new digital cameras are great, but they don't have X-ray capabilities yet!

10. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I suppose they opened the buttflies for the picture too?

The hood looks like it does not close all the way.

Butterflies open.

20 years in a backyard.

It's done.

11. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    The butterlies on the top are for the choke. The throttle butterflies are typically close to the intake manifold, so for the 40DCN20/21 carbs that would be the bottom.

-steve

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You've obviously never used Marvel Mystery Oil......

The Louisiana guys showed me some stuff called "Deep Creep" also, man, THAT stuff works!!!!!!

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Once again, I note the Ferrari hypocrisy. Everybody claims loyalty to the marque, but then quickly writes off a desirable car just because it would take some work to restore, and the finished product would NOT be a monetary profit maker. Alas poor woodsman, spare this tree....Let thy ax harm it not!

14. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    WHOA! ITS IN GUILFORD! I used to live 10 mins away from there....cool

Also, on a side note, would the rear lights stay that clean or have they been replaced?

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Agreed!

There must be one out there somewhere...smashed in from the OTHER side!

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Arlie, why would anyone spend upwards of thirty grand for this thing, then put 100k+ into it when they can just go buy an fully functional Daytona from somewhere else...? It's not like this is a one-off Ferrari; it's one of 1,284 Daytonas that has become a casualty of time and human nature... Lastly, 30 grand for this heap seems a bit much... If they guy would let it go for, let's say, 5 grand, then it'd almost be worth it...

This has nothing to do with loyalty to the marque... If you wanted a candy bar, would you just go buy one for $1 or would you go buy all the materials for $5 and spend time putting it together yourself...?

If i went over to this guy's house one day and he said, "Hey, come check out this barn on my property; it was here when i bought the land and it's got some ol' beat up car... You can have it if you want it." then it'd be worth it...

17. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Easy answer for NNO:

Because someone WANTS to....sometimes, the pleasure of the restoration is more enjoyable to some than the finished product, like putting a puzzle together. And besides, if I were ridiculously wealthy and money were no object, I'd rather restore a car like this than buy somebody's troubles and spend gobs of time/effort getting it sorted properly. That way, I'd have a dead-reliable car in the color I want, with the interior color I want, in the condition I want, and I could drive the paint off it without somebody 'fretting' that I was depreciating a collectible. If they ***** and complain, I'd just show them a few 'Before' pictures.....

18. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    And that's cool with me; but my point is, just because others DON'T want to, doesn't mean they're not loyal to marque...

i don't even know why i responded to Arlie... i'm still waiting on an answer about the pop up head lights...

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, I see a P4 replica in this cars future ... or maybe an adventurous Daytona Spyder, but even I cannot see this car being restored.

Nothing is impossible, and it would maybe make a good competition Daytona basis, but to restore fully as a concours Daytona would be one mighty impressive effort that I would loudly bow to the restore over ;)

Pete

20. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Most likely. I have repaired several totals this bad so it is fixable but where would you get all the needed parts? It would be a great parts car to fix a front end crash, unless you just happened to have a rear clip sitting around.

21. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Or one could buy this car and just put it away until it becomes economically viable to restore it.

22. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    You get the parts from SHAUGNESSY!!!!! Hahaha. I'd make a lovely spyder out of it. Tom - have you sold it yet?

23. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    The seller, whoever he might be, is like everybody who has a rare car in less than excellent condition. They think it's worth a fortune. I wouldn't give 30 grand for it either. Maybe 10 or 12 and then you could have some fun. There are a million car guys who would love to have a project like that. But as usual, the seller just wants to find the big fish with the deep pockets and very little brain to match. Of course some big guy will buy the hulk, part it out, leaving one LESS Daytona in existance thereby driving up the value of all the others until, one day, they will all be so valuable that they will never be driven, only surrounded by velvet ropes at a car show. Won't the hobby be fun then? Only the ultra rich guys will own an old Ferrari, and maybe if you're real nice, they will let you sit in it. Unless you're too busy at the show buying 1/18th scale models, which by then, will be as close as you will ever come to owning the real thing. Oh boy,....I can't wait!!! (Yawn.)

24. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    frame is twisted on 4 sides, in different directions. it would be a big hack job to make it a "car" again. i would bet its great for all those little teeny tiny little things that over restored and abused cars lack. i have bought whole, running original muscle cars just to chop up and use them for correct oem parts to fix the more valuable ones. no big deal, its like OEM parts on the half shell, with an "original patina". i am so jaded now i could care less about numbers, stamps or colors anymore. just drive the damn car or dont buy it! :) whats a Daytona drivetrain worth in parts? connecting rods, crank heads are most likely good after machine work. i bet there is some $$$ in that pile of bones and Tom knows it.