360 spider can't go past 75mph? | FerrariChat

360 spider can't go past 75mph?

Discussion in '360/430' started by SilverOne, Nov 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SilverOne

SilverOne Karting

Dec 10, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I hear from friends that the 360 spider can not go above ~70mph with the top on? This is labeled on the car somewhere also?

Is that true??

2. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    I know that is true with the 550 Barchetta. Could be true for the 360. They pretty much weren't made for riding with the top up.

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Not supposed to go over 70? God, i couldnt even drive through school zones in that thing!

4. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Sounds like BS to me. I have not driven a 360 spider with the top up but I've had a 348 spider well over 100mph many times with the top up with no problems. I can't imagine they are making worse tops now.

5. SilverOne

SilverOne Karting

Dec 10, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    thanks for the responses, I am wondering if there is any 360 Spider owners that care to confirm this?

6. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm not a 360 spider owner, nor have I ever driven or even been in one. But, I seriously doubt this is true or we would have definately heard many complaints about this on the board by now.

As was mentioned earlier, this is true for the 550 Barchetta, and I've heard it on this board and read about it in many magazines as a big deal was made about this. The 550 Barchetta does not have a fully functional top, and this is apparently the reason for this craziness. The 360 Spider does have a fully functional automatic top and I have not once read about this problem in any publication. So, I very much doubt any speed limitations with the top up, or at least not at 70 mph. That is what I believe though and cannot confirm it 100%.

I'm sure an owner will chime in soon.

-Eric

7. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    This sounds like someone getting confused. The only one with the top limitation is the 550 Barchetta.

I've ridden in Dr. Shelbee's 360 spider with the top up before. I can confirm it could go WELL ABOVE 75 MPH.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I got track time in a Spider a few weeks ago. We only hit 125mph on the straightaway, but there were 0 problems. There were probably 9 360/355/348 Spiders on the track. Barchetta was the one you heard of, probably.

9. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Well, I have taken my 360 Spider up to 175mph on an empty highway in the middle of the night and besides the top sounding like it wanted to rip out of the hinges it was pretty much uneventful.

So, it is not true.

10. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    You're confusing it with the 550 Barchetta top.

360s kick ass. Those tops are functional. Saw one the other day and it was pretty cool to see the thing go up and down. Owner said he drove mostly top up due to heat. So it apparently does a good job of insulating too given how he doesn't blast his A/C either.

Cheers

11. FastTalk

FastTalk Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2002
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Adam Alexander
    Had mine at 150 with the top on many times, never a problem.

AA

12. mustgofaster

mustgofaster Karting

Mar 27, 2004
    West Lakeland, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    also had mine around 150 and thought nothing of it/no problems........ maybe I shouldn't shift out of 3rd anymore with the top up

13. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Yep, me too. Broad daylight in hill country though. Night + deer=problem
    Barchettta had Jeep bikini top thingy, useless for anywhere it actually rains, or in TX, where it is too damn hot to put top down in summer. convertibles are fall winter spring cars here.

14. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    it is not true.. the 550 barchetta has the speed retriction for the top...the 360 spider can go to top speed with the top on , no problem...in the fact the top is very well lined and very sturdy and quiet ....

15. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    360 spider cant go over 70mph?

that is a crock of shiiiite.