Stradale Roll Bar | FerrariChat

Stradale Roll Bar

Discussion in '360/430' started by SoftwareDrone, Nov 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have performed several searches on both fchat and the internet, and can find no substantial information. I have even posted several messages on here, and nothing.
    Someone besides me has to remember the thread (and the pictures) of the guy who had the custom made harness bar hand wrapped in red leather for about four grand.

?????

2. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    i remember that thread. the harness bar was luxuriously wrapped in red leather with fine stitching. hopefully u can re-find it.

3. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
  4. George H.

George H. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    George Hoover
  5. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    fyi....I have a black leather wrapped roll bar from the factory in my 360. No pictures though.

6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow! That's why I so love this website. All these helpful people! :)
    So now that I look at the roll bar on the Stradale, I can see that there is no "middle section" bar spanning the width of it so you can mount harness brackets to it. So it's looking like the roll bar isn't going to do it for me. What I need is a harness bar. Unless somebody out there has actually been able to figure out how to mount harnesses to one somehow...

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Couldn't you just have them weld the extra middle section?

8. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "So now that I look at the roll bar on the Stradale, I can see that there is no "middle section" bar spanning the width of it so you can mount harness brackets to it. So it's looking like the roll bar isn't going to do it for me. What I need is a harness bar. Unless somebody out there has actually been able to figure out how to mount harnesses to one somehow..."

Mine should be done in the next week, and it has a horizontal piece for attachment of harnesses. Installation required a lot of work, including fabrication, upholstery, welding, paint, etc, all of which was done for me by Karosserie, one of the factory authorized body shops.

I prefer a roll bar to a harness bar - heavier, but safer. I'll post photos when the car arrives.

Edit:

The job is perhaps more complex than one might think at first blush. I know that, in designing and installing Stradale bars and harnesses, Karosserie paid careful attention to solutions used by the factory in the 360 based racing cars.

9. Shuey2k

Shuey2k Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Willi Schumacher
    You have a few options above and beyond a harness bar. Are you using 4 or 5 pts and what belts are you going to use, 3 inch? I use Sabelt 3 inch belts and have bolted I bolts directly to the car and just clip the belts in. Driving Impressions in NY has helped me in the past and I am sure would be willing to help you as well especially if you are going to invest in a good set of belts. Let me know if you need their number.

10. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I do NOT recommend a harness bar without a rollbar... the harness will turn your head/neck into a roof support in the case of rollover!

If you just need more support in the seat, you can get a strap to go around the seat and your torso... that combined with a clip to lock the lap belt, and you'll be held in your seat just fine... but will still be able to fold over in the case that your roof collapses.

I believe the normal roll bar does not have a harness bar integrated into it because the stock harnesses are mounted directly into the firewall... so there's no need for the harness bar. I do not know if there are suitable mount points on the firewall underneath the upholstery... I have not looked, because I don't have the rollbar.

FWIW,

11. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Will you are my hero - the operation was too involved for me - I did take the other route and bought a 360 Challenge

I hope you took pictures along the way ....

there is a solution to a harness bar which I have seen in P cars - the bar is attached to the upper seatbelt mounting points (B pillar) – it is U shaped and crosses behind the seats - it also has a bar on each side that connect the harness bar to the outside seat mounting point – the construction looks very solid – it should be a pretty straight forward job for a good welder to produce such a construction for the 360 CS (if only one could have it in Carbon Fiber :) - nice point is that it can be installed/removed without major changes

12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    >>>>>
    there is a solution to a harness bar which I have seen in P cars - the bar is attached to the upper seatbelt mounting points (B pillar) – it is U shaped and crosses behind the seats - it also has a bar on each side that connect the harness bar to the outside seat mounting point – the construction looks very solid – it should be a pretty straight forward job for a good welder to produce such a construction for the 360 CS (if only one could have it in Carbon Fiber :) - nice point is that it can be installed/removed without major changes
    <<<<<

That is exactly how it is set up in my NSX. The harness bar has two 1/4" end plates that bolt into the 17mm threaded bolts that would normally tie the upper seatbelt mounting points. However, the other poster has a good point about having a harness bar without a rollbar. Having a middle bar welded in sounds like a good idea!

13. Shuey2k

Shuey2k Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Willi Schumacher
    Are you going to track the Stradale or just use it for the street? If it is just for street use you will have no need for anything other than the OEM sealtbelt as the OEM seats have great lateral support.