275 GTB vs. 288 GTO | FerrariChat

275 GTB vs. 288 GTO

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Nov 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Would you choose a 275 GTB or 288 GTO?

1. 275 GTB

2. 288 GTO

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Lets say you already had a 348/355 or more modern Ferrari as a driver, but you were looking for something special to add. Would you choose a 275 GTB or 288 GTO based on the below factors?

- Buying in today's market, but consider potential value changes moving forward.

- Cost the same for a show quality car of either.

- This wouldn't be a die with decision, at a later time you could acquire the other.

- The GTO is rarer and has better performance.

- The 275 is a vintage classic.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I selected 288 GTO because they are rarer than the 275 GTB. Their prices have also been flat the past 5+ years, while the 275 is up 50% or more. I would want a more vintage Ferrari too, but in several more years the 275 and other vintage Ferraris may come down a little if the dollar recovers. Seems like the GTO has very little downside, while the 275 is arguably still on the rise or potential to correct. In other words, not in a stable market.

3. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Difficult.

The 12 of the GTB is more appealing over the turbo 8 of the 288 GTO. A plus for the GTB.

The GTO is rearer than the GTB, so thats a plus for the GTO.

In terms of looks, they are both superb on their own merits. So that has to be a tie.

Value is of no importance to me. I buy cars to own, not to sell. Again, a tie.

Like I said, a difficult one, allthough I lean towards the 288 GTO.

Stephen B likes this.
  4. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    288 GTO. Best looking car Ferrari ever made. And true to Ferrari design philosophy form follows function. There isn't a curve or duct that doesn't need to be there. The body has the perfect styling balance to satisfy anyone. Many people I know say the F40s, F50s, and Enzos are too aggressive or too "Miami Vice". Some of the older ones can fade into the background. The 288 is just perfect.

For me that is the pinnacle. If I were to have any car in the world, that would be it. Forget about market value. I'm talking emotional value. Walk out into the garage in the middle of the night, turn on the light and just take in the feelings you get when you look at it.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Rob, Rob, Rob,

Why are you basing your selection on fncken MONEY, this is supposed to be FerrariChat not InvesterChat.

You should be reading your heart and I have to admitt ... 275GTB (one of fav's) or 288GTO (er, also one of my fav's) ... bloody tough choice.

I think the GTO would be a frightener (hopefully ;)) and the GTB although very fast more of a tourer.

I can't make my mind up ... :confused:
    Pete

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I've worked on quite a few of both. For most people it should be an easy question, are you a vintage guy or a more modern guy? 275 is beautiful but driving the 288, well it's one of the coolest cars they ever made. Nice thing about the 288, around here not too many people pay much attention to a 308 so they go almost unnoticed. It's as docile as a kitty cat to drive until you step on the loud pedal. Only thing wrong with a 288 is that they didn't build enough of them.

7. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    288GTO no question, this will be my next Ferrari after 365/512BB. (I hope).
    Edit: Left handdrive only, no good for Australia, unless you want it for investment only :(

8. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    288GTO for all the reasons mentioned...it is a fantastic car, and although the 275GTB is another Ferrari great, it just doesn't have the same allure of the 288GTO.

If I had the choice to own any Ferrari it would be the 288GTO...over the Enzo of course, but also over the F40 & F50...I like it that much. The only thing the 275GTB has on the GTO is a V12.

As others have said, its a mistake to buy a car like this based on market 'value'...if you are buying a car as emotional as these too, the decision shouldn't be based on money, it should be based on which one you love the most.

:)

9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    288 GTO on looks and rarity, but leaning towards the GTB based on the Front Engine V12 and superb history.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    F40.

Or 275 GTB/4 if you can strech that far. Or at least a long nose GTB/2..

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Um... i can't even believe this is a question... Well, okay, yes i can; everyone's got their own, personal preferences...

Rob, go with the GTB...! This is a no-brainer...! Even a 2 cam would be more fun than a GTO... Granted, i've never ridden in or driven either model, so take this for what it's worth... i just can't imagine picking the GTO over the GTB if you've already got a 348/355 late model Ferrari...

The GTO is an awesome car; beefy with turbos and all that jazz - but if you've already got a late model Ferrari, go for the vintage Ferrari... If you can do it, get the long nose 4 cam...! Who doesn't want to own a Ferrari from the sixties...?!?

Ok, let's go with your criteria:

- Buying in today's market, but consider potential value changes moving forward.
    Don't do this; don't wonder what it'll be worth in time - "but Carbon, it's just a 'what-if' question!" So what, stop doing it; that's how people go broke...

- Cost the same for a show quality car of either.
    Um, what...?

- This wouldn't be a die with decision, at a later time you could acquire the other.
    Great; so go with the GTB now so you don't have to kick yourself for what you've been missing all these years if you decide to get the GTO first...

- The GTO is rarer and has better performance.
    Rarity is for posers; all that elitist bullsh!t doesn't make the car any better; i'd cut off my pinky toe for a Porsche Boxster... You're right on the better performance, but i'd bet my ass that the GTB is a more exhilerating, visceral drive...!

- The 275 is a vintage classic.
    This should've been your first fact; after this, everything else is superfluous... :)

12. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    This is really an apples and oranges question. However, I would imagine that more buyers (read: people actually writing checks; not pipe dreamers) would choose a 275 GTB over the 288 GTO. Hopefully, someone like Bill Noon will chime in.

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

very well said. i agree! :)

14. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    My god this is a no brainer 275GTB anyday. I agree with Carbon on this one.
    Its a classy car that is not of the 80's generation.
    Don't get me wrong 288 is the best 80's car, but still not a classic to me.
    Which crowd do you want to hang with?
    You already have a modern, Get the classic, 275GTB so cool.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Wow, very interesting the split.

True, a 275 GTB is about the same as a 288 GTO. Maybe as close as $20k +/-.

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, actually i said "what" because i had no idea what you were trying to say, not because what you said didn't make sense - i just couldn't understand it...

API currently holds 275s at $246,293... Holds 288s at $ 276,667; holds GTB/4s at $325,333... Now i really don't think that the current market value should be a reason for someone to purchase or NOT purchase a car but if that's what you were looking for, there it is...

17. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    If my modern car was a 550/575, then I'd get its grandma... the 275GTB.
    (Same reason I hope to get a 246GTS to go with my Stradale.)

But otherwise, I'd go with the GTO... the 275 GTB was special... but the GTO is uniquely so, IMO.

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rob, because I know that this is purely a hypothetical question (wink, wink), I'm gonna answer it in a hypothetical manner.

In two words, it depends.

That is, what are you looking for? If you want sheer driving performance, there is no doubt about the answer. A 288 will run circles around a 275.

But if you are looking for curb appeal, the 275 wins hands down. I can almost hear the "experts" now. "Yeah, that car is worth $50 million dollars!" or "Piece of junk replica."

One more thing, if you get the 275, be sure and replace every rubber and plastic bitza that you can find, particularly the fuel lines, before even driving the car. 275s are notorious for catching on fire. It is certainly a more raw car than the 288 GTO. But it should be seeing how the 288s are, what, almost 20 years younger?

Dale

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'd go with the GTO. Always thought it was the truest example of race car for the road. The GTB is an old 575. Great GT car, but still a GT.

A 275 is something my dad would buy...

20. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The you must have a really cool dad, no? ;)

275 over a 288GTO for me all day, any day. I actually think 275s are more appealing to the eye than the almighty 250GTO*

*A tangent I don't EVEN want to go on! So no flames!

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Actually, he looked at a 275 in 1973, but didn't get it because it didn't have a back seat. He ended up getting a BMW 2002 at the time. Only $1000 difference in price. :(

22. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I choose the 288 GTO and will not even consider a 275 GTB.

Why? I grew up in the 80's and read all the stuff about the 288 GTO in magazines. Saw one when a guy in the old neighborhood bought one when his company hit it big in '85. Cars that does it for me, to this day, are the exotics of that era (Boxer, TR, 308/328, 288GTO, F40, 959, and even the Lambo Countach).

275 GTB? Cool car. Read about it, but I have no emotional connection to it at all.

Forget about investment potential or similar silly argument. Buy and keep whichever one you like.

23. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    I chose the 275GTB out of my heart of loving it. I have no idea of the current market of price. However, I would guess 20 years from now, 2024, when I'll be 59........ I say the 275GTB's value will surpass that of the 288GTO.

Remember: technology die but art stays forever.

24. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    V8 or V12...
    Hmm that is a very hard question.

I think I would go with the 288 GTO because its faster. But don`t get me wrong the 275 GTB is a fantastic car but I would rather have a fast modern car first, which I can use for the road and the track and then I buy a vintage for car shows and sunday morning driving.

25. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Tough choice - I've seen the video of Chiaro_Slag driving ag512bbi's 288 GTO and it is the "ultimate 308"...

...but I went with the 275GTB (can I have the spider conversion at Fantasy Junction, please?? same money +/-) as I do have a 348 spider and the classic V12 really is the counterpoint to my 348.

Will need the 275 in dark blue (TdF or Le Mans) or dark metallic red (rosso fiorano or similar) with crema leather and dark (blue/red) carpets. And Borranis.

Cheers
    Kevin