348 Shifting Improvement | FerrariChat

348 Shifting Improvement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Animate, Nov 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    When I got my 348 I was having a little difficulty engaging gears, especially 2nd when the car was cold. I changed the transmission oil and put in Redline 75W90 NS. There was no immediate change, but after a month or so of frequent driving the shifting is really starting to improve. All gears are engaging a bit smoother, with the most noticable being 2nd when the car is cold. I don't know whether the oil is helping, or if it's just from regular use, but it's definitely more enjoyable to drive.

Has anybody else here had similar experience? Any theories as to why it would be getting better?

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It is a common problem with Ferrari's. I let my 348 warm up until the cooling fan come on at least once, because of the very thing you are talking about. One thing that I have found helped the shifting, when my car is cold, was to double clutch it.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I noticed it with my 328 (using the Redline 75w-90NS)...the lack of the "slip" agent for the limited slip diff, allows the synchros to work better. You may notice that when starting from a stop, and making a sharp left or right turn while accellerating briskly, may now cause the limited slip diff to "chatter" a bit....I was told this is harmless. There are many threads on this..You can find them in the archives...search "redline synchros" or "redline 75-90NS"

Dave

4. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My understanding has always been that it comes with the territory as well. I just shift from first to third for a bit, then I will blip the throttle to match revs and it will usually go in to second on either upshifts or downshifts. Plus it sounds cool...

Cheers
    Kevin